March 4th...this day in history.....

• Authorized Vendor

The larger-than-life comedic star John Candy dies suddenly of a heart attack on March 4, 1994, at the age of 43. At the time of his death, he was living near Durango, Mexico, while filming Wagons East, a Western comedy co-starring the comedian Richard Lewis.

Born in 1950, Candy’s first professional acting work was in children’s theater in his native Canada. In 1972, he was accepted into the prestigious Second City comedy troupe in Toronto, where he would become a regular writer and performer for the group’s television program, SCTV, alongside other rising comics like Eugene Levy (later Candy’s co-star in Splash) and Harold Ramis (Ghostbusters). When SCTV moved to network television in 1981, Candy moved with it; that year and the next, he won Emmy Awards for writing for the show. Candy’s recurring (and most famous) SCTV persona was Yosh Shmenge, a clarinet player in a polka band. He would reprise the character in a mock documentary, The Last Polka, on HBO in 1985 and would also play a polka musician in the smash hit Home Alone (1990).

Candy made his big break into movies with Splash (1984), in which he stole most of his scenes as the idle, high-living brother of the main character, played by Tom Hanks. The film, directed by Ron Howard, was a smash hit, jump-starting the careers of Candy, Hanks, Darryl Hannah and Levy. In one particularly memorable scene, Candy throws himself with abandon around a racquetball court, using his hefty frame to full comedic effect. Six-foot-three and weighing as much as 275 pounds, he struggled with dieting over the years, but his heft undoubtedly contributed to his success as a comic performer.

After Splash, Candy was in high demand as a lovable oaf. He starred in a number of box-office hits over the next 10 years, including Spaceballs (1987), and collaborations with the writer, producer and director John Hughes in Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987), The Great Outdoors (1988) and Uncle Buck (1989). A devoted sports fan and co-owner of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, he was also part owner of House of Blues, with the actors Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi. In 1993, Candy won praise for his role as the sensitive coach of an unlikely Jamaican bobsled team in Cool Runnings (1993).

At the time of his death, Candy had just completed his directorial debut, the Fox Television movie comedy Hostage for a Day. He had performed two-thirds of his scenes in Wagons East, which was finished after the filmmakers’ insurance company paid a reported $15 million settlement. Another recently wrapped movie, Canadian Bacon, was released in 1995. Candy was survived by his wife, Rosemary, and their two children, Jennifer and Christopher.

Also on this day in history, 03 04 1948, I was born.  "IT'S MY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" 72 today. Didn't believe I would make it this far. 

The Bible says mans' life consist of 3 score and 10 years(70), and if blessed 4 score (80) (Psalms 90:10).  I am on the way to 4 score L/w. If I make it to 4 score, (80) then, afterwards, I will be on bonus time. 

Just celebrated 50 years to the same wonderful lady (My Laddie Kay). "I've had a good life with her and our 4 daughters."    

However, the most important thing is, I have made preparations for the next life, in heaven,  with God through faith in His Son Jesus Christ. Nothing trumps this!   Have "YOU" made your peace with Jesus?????? I hope so....Would like to meet you up there. 

I like Uncle Buck.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the birthday wishes, and I will report I had a great party yesterday. I got enough money to be able to purchase another gun, if I want one. Them kids and my sweetie knows my love language.

I know it will not be a Glock 44, because I don't like the light plastic, and it just does not feel like a real gun in my hands. YMMV and that is OK.

Edited to add; My thoughts are on a SW Mdl 60 3" always wanted one, a Mdl 686 plus 3", or a SW 8 shot revolver, don't know the model number on this one. The 8 shot 357 mag would be for a house gun, which I got my 629 loaded with 44Spl for that role now.

That "kinda" is my bucket list today. Do I need it, NO. Do I want it, well, YES.

My 72nd year is looking fine!!!L/w

We have a guy that came forward, in our church, that is divorced, lonely, living alone, has teen children problems, and really discouraged and struggling with health issues at this time(he hopes to return to work on Monday). He asked the church to pray for him.

My sweetie and I have invited him to our home, on Friday evening, for a meal and talks, and he accepted our invitation last night.  Our hope is to encourage him on his way. He is middle-aged and, we discovered, he is our close by neighbor. Lives less than a mile from "Reed Manor" (long story but what we call our home  HA HA).  Those who are praying people here, say a prayer we can encourage him. Peace is hard at times, for all of us.