S&W Model 25 3"

Luckyforward

I have a good possible deal on a S&W Model 25, 3" in .45 ACP. I really like this gun, and want it because it is .45.

Currently I carry a Model 686 2.5", which is an L frame; I am medium build and this revolver is not too heavy or difficult for me to conceal.

The Model 25 is an N frame, which is a bit larger than the L frame.

Opinions, please, from all of you whom I respect so much: is an N frame Smith too large for concealed carry?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how you carry whether or not it can be concealed well.They make IWB holsters for N frames.Matter of fact Milts Sparks makes the Summer Special for an N frame and my favorite Sparks holster for revolvers, the Hackathorn Special can be ordered with you choice of muzzle forward,straight or rear cant.It works really well under a jacket or long shirt.If you don't want to wait on a Sparks the Bianchi Cyclone is a good choice.Some people think if a gun weighs more than 25 ozs then it is not a good choice.As Clint Smith says "A gun is supposed to be comforting,not comfortable"

is an N frame Smith too large for concealed carry?

An N frame S&W is too large for duty carry. :rolleyes:

Anyone that knows me knows I love my Smith & Wesson’s, and I have owned several N Frames. But I just never could get use to carrying an N frame on duty, let alone off.

I had one like you describe. Great gun, but a bit to big for CC, in my opinion. I think of the N-frames as more of a open carry sidearm.

Considering I manage to CC a 4" Mt Gun I disagree. With the boot grips on mine it it as easy to conceal as a L frame. Like most things it takes a bit more effort.

I was going to say, if you swap out the grips it will be much easier to conceal. The factory boot grips or magnas work quite well. Recoil will not be much of a facto, so you don't need a tree trunk to hang on to. I conceal carry my 5" 645 without problem, but I am value sized at 6'-7" 325#.

Guest The Highlander

I love the N-frames, and a 3" .45 ACP would be ideal. If you find you don't like it, I think it would be easy to get rid of!

Depending on your size and build, experience with cc, and the thought and effort you put into it, the N-frame is doable. Also the absolute necessity to never "flash" might have an impact on what you can do.

The Highlander