Has the law changed?

Guest parris001

Guest parris001

My son-in-law took his concealed carry course yesterday and came back saying that during a traffic stop you no longer have to tell the officer you are carrying a weapon. Is this true?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

True, you do not have to, but they appreciate it. I told the officer in the only instance I was pulled over armed. He actually thanked me for telling him. He stated everyone who can legally carry--ought to. I agree. All he did was ask me to keep it where it was. He was really cool about it.

Therefore, you don't have to. However, I would rather have him know it was there, than to accidently run across it in a pat-down. I'm quite sure his reaction would be much different.

(n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

Only have to tell them if they ask if you have any weapons.

What everyone is saying is correct...but to answer your question, No, the law has not changed. It has always been like that in TN.

Also you do not have to carry concealed in TN. It is a Handgun Carry Permit and allows you to carry Open or Concealed.

Guest parris001

All right, all right. I may have incorrectly referred to it as a concealed carry permit. Force of habit. When I got mine that's what they were considered. But, if I may go back to when I got mine. My instructor was a Brentwood police officer and he told us that it was the law that you had to tell them you were carrying. I understand in his position that he may have taken liberties with the truth because in his line of work he wanted to know if he was facing an armed citizen. All this time I thought I had to (and have every time) I've been in a traffic stop.

I'll never tell another one. I've never felt it was any of their business.

Guest JayMc

The course instructors when I took it suggested fessing up quickly. The officer will see you have the permit when running your DL.

Guest bkelm18

I'll never tell another one. I've never felt it was any of their business.

None of their business? They'll find out the moment they run your DL that you have one anyway...

None of their business? They'll find out the moment they run your DL that you have one anyway...

True, but just because you have a HCP doesn't mean you are armed. I know most of us are, but there are many that HCPs that do not carry on regular basis.

As far as that goes....just because one doesn't have a HCP doesn't mean they aren't armed.... :rofl:

I'd rather just tell them and get it out of the way...lol

That is fair enough, but

Some, including me, would rather not bring up something that is non-issue as related to a traffic stop. (Sometimes a LEO just looks at your DL and then decides after some conversation to give you a warning and never runs your DL.)

But it is like OC v CC doesn't really matter to me, there are valid points both ways, so each person must simply decided what they feel is the best for them and/or the current situation.

Guest bkelm18
True, but just because you have a HCP doesn't mean you are armed. I know most of us are, but there are many that HCPs that do not carry on regular basis.

As far as that goes....just because one doesn't have a HCP doesn't mean they aren't armed.... :rofl:

Well once they find out that you have a HCP they'll probably ask anyway. My point was that it really is their business to know if you are armed or not.

Guest jackdog

As far as that goes....just because one doesn't have a HCP doesn't mean they aren't armed.... :)

What the hey? Are you insinuating that people without the proper state authorization would carry a concealed weapon.:rofl::D

Well once they find out that you have a HCP they'll probably ask anyway. My point was that it really is their business to know if you are armed or not.

True, they may ask once they know you have a HCP and that is enough reason for some to volunteer it up front.

But it being their business you are armed is your opinion, not mine or the law.

The law says if they demand to see your permit, you must present it to them. However that is not the same that is not the same thing as it being their business you are armed only that you are legally permitted if you are armed.

What the hey? Are you insinuating that people without the proper state authorization would carry a concealed weapon.:rofl::D

:)

But the fact that some do...is another reason why those that are legally permitted choose to be upfront.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest bkelm18

But it being their business you are armed is your opinion, not mine or the law.

The law says if they demand to see your permit, you must present it to them. However that is not the same that is not the same thing as it being their business you are armed only that you are legally permitted if you are armed.

Haha oook.

• Administrator

If you just got pulled over by a police officer, chances are he or she didn't blue-light you just because they wanted to say Hi. That being the case, now isn't the time to be cute and play games with them about your rights. Every officer I've spoken with has said they greatly appreciate being told that you're armed and that you have a HCP rather than having to find out by surprise when they run your DL. Then it becomes a question for them of "Does this guy have his gun with him?" and it's something they will be even more edgy about when they come back to your car.

I say do the right thing and just tell them up front. No sense being cute about it just because the law says you don't have to. The law shouldn't have to legislate common courtesy.

Guest slothful1

If the legislature agreed, only open carry (or maybe a visible HCP badge, lol) would be required.

Guest MisterJimmy

If you get pulled over, assume your tags get run, and that they know you have a permit, and it's probably a real good idea to play nice and own up. That's what the classes teach. So you can have your way, but they have the badge and playing nice gives us a good rep.

Guest crotalus01

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" worked for the Clinton administration so I would apply as needed...

I am a GG not a BG so it is none of their damn business. :tough::clap:

If you just got pulled over by a police officer, chances are he or she didn't blue-light you just because they wanted to say Hi. That being the case, now isn't the time to be cute and play games with them about your rights. Every officer I've spoken with has said they greatly appreciate being told that you're armed and that you have a HCP rather than having to find out by surprise when they run your DL. Then it becomes a question for them of "Does this guy have his gun with him?" and it's something they will be even more edgy about when they come back to your car.

I say do the right thing and just tell them up front. No sense being cute about it just because the law says you don't have to. The law shouldn't have to legislate common courtesy.

So wouldn't the easiest and best thing be simply for the LEO lobby to introduce a bill that requires immediate notification? If it was the law I would follow it and in all honesty not really bitch about it that much. But LEOs already have enough authority over you without giving them any they don't have.

I really don't see it as being cute if you choose not to inform at least no more cute than saying no if they knock on your front door and want to come in and just look around no reason.

Bravo !! Bravissimo !! :clap:

You don't have to say anything or answer any questions of any sort. Everything you say will be in the report. Give them your license and let them do their thing. after watching some of the lawyer videos and being at the academy, I'm not saying anything. Not gonna be difficult, but if I'm under arrest I'm not saying a word. BTW a traffic stop is an arrest.