@#$%^ Ported Barrel!@##$$@

I hate ported barrels on revolvers. Why do people do that? If you can't handle the recoil, don't buy the gun. It's that simple. What is the point of blowing gas out the top of the barrel, instead of behind the flaming death thingy where it belongs?

Taurus regularly does this on its .44s. In fact I dont think they make a .44 that isn't ported.

Smith's Performance Center regularly puts them on their guns. The result is horrible, with the front sight about an inch or two behind where it needs to be.

I know someone on here will be extolling how great his magnaport gun is etc etc.

But I hate 'em.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own any ported handguns, and don't feel strongly about them either way.... But, since there is an obvious handling advantage in putting a muzzle-brake on a rifle for specific applications, I don't see why it is such a bad thing for specific applications, on a handgun? Comped 1911s are a thing of beauty to shoot... though perhaps not the best option for carry/defensive purposes.

Why do you hate them?

Are you forced to use them?

Guest Terry J

My 454 casull is ported and I love it. As far as the porting Im not really sure it makes alot of difference but it looks cool. My brothers 1911 has a compensated barrel and it shoots like a dream. But again not sure it really makes a difference other than looks.

I don't own any ported handguns, and don't feel strongly about them either way.... But, since there is an obvious handling advantage in putting a muzzle-brake on a rifle for specific applications, I don't see why it is such a bad thing for specific applications, on a handgun? Comped 1911s are a thing of beauty to shoot... though perhaps not the best option for carry/defensive purposes.

Why do you hate them?

Are you forced to use them?

A heavy recoiling rifle is different. As mentioned, it is designed for that. Nor does it mess up the rest of the gun.

On a revolver, the gun wasn't designed for that. It shortens the site radius (unless it's done like Smith's 500 with an integrated one). It lowers the velocity of the round.

I hate them because they offend my sensibilities. Nothing is worse than seeing some fine old Smith 29 with a porto job. Same reason I am not partial to gold-plated guns.

I'm with ya' on the gold plating... unless it's a display piece. But there are some manufacturers who slap gold trim onto pistols in a most disgusting manner. To me, however, that's just aesthetics... personal preference holds sway.

Considering that handgun porting is mostly (and most appropriately) done on large, powerfully chambered specimens. I'd go out on a limb and say that 50-100fps loss due to porting is oftentimes worth exchanging for improved recoil handling, and reduced muzzle-climb. It sure helps with sporting shotguns... why not on smaller platforms which do not offer shoulder support?

The 1/2" difference in sight-radius is negligable... at least on long-barreled revolvers. Besides that, don't many hunters who use revolvers equip them with scopes, anyways? And on revolvers which are ported after-market... the sight radius is un-affected.

Coming purely from the aesthetic perspective, there's nothing wrong with disliking how it looks.

I hate them because they offend my sensibilities.

Well la-de-da ! :cool:

I'm not generally a fan of ported barrels, but had one on a Taurus 44R and absolutely loved it. It did exactly what it was supposed to do - very well. It allowed a looser grip on the handgun that aided accuracy and helped make the shooting more pleasant.

330160637_873819d1b8.jpg

Guest Terry J
Well la-de-da ! :cool:

I'm not generally a fan of ported barrels, but had one on a Taurus 44R and absolutely loved it. It did exactly what it was supposed to do - very well. It allowed a looser grip on the handgun that aided accuracy and helped make the shooting more pleasant.

330160637_873819d1b8.jpg

Is this the 44 or possibly a 500? Dont think its quite big enough for a 500. I really want one!!! No particular reason just think it would be fun to shoot and get the occasional what the He!! was that? Ported of course!!!

is that a ported barrel?! he must be a pansy!! come on, it puts the barrel back on target faster and makes a heartier kicking gun much more accurate. I don't carry it, that's what the subby is for, but it's a very fun gun to shoot. and if it means my manlihood is comprimised, i'm comfortable with that :cool:

STP60295.jpg

Ported handguns look good in photos. After all, who cares how it shoots as long as it looks good in pictures.

leaving.gif

BTW… I’m a Toolmaker maybe some of you would like your initials ported into your barrels.

I hate ported barrels on revolvers. Why do people do that? If you can't handle the recoil, don't buy the gun. It's that simple. What is the point of blowing gas out the top of the barrel, instead of behind the flaming death thingy where it belongs?

Taurus regularly does this on its .44s. In fact I dont think they make a .44 that isn't ported.

Smith's Performance Center regularly puts them on their guns. The result is horrible, with the front sight about an inch or two behind where it needs to be.

I know someone on here will be extolling how great his magnaport gun is etc etc.

But I hate 'em.

Yeah, I've got one in a 3" barrel. Unported. Real men don't have trouble controlling recoil.
If you have trouble with the massive recoil of a .40 in a full sized gun, maybe try this one out. Comes with a compensated .22 short barrel and conversion kit. Just so you don't have to worry about breaking a nail.

PinkGlockAnniv.jpg

Wow. Tell us how you REALY feel. :cool:

If you have trouble with the massive recoil of a .40 in a full sized gun, maybe try this one out. Comes with a compensated .22 short barrel and conversion kit. Just so you don't have to worry about breaking a nail.

PinkGlockAnniv.jpg

i only enjoy antagonizing people when they have the ability to punch me in the nose :cool:

Wow. Tell us how you REALY feel. :D

I thought I had done a pretty good job.

But if you missed it somehow, porting is an "innovation" that drives me nuts. It destroys the look of the revolver (semis don't have looks so it isnt that critical). The gun was just fine the way it was designed. It especially gets me when I see it on carry revolvers, like Smith's PC guns.

What is the point of porting a .44mag? If you dont like the recoil of the .44mag, then shoot .44spcs in it. This is probably why you can't get a decent .44spc revolver anymore, like the special is some kind of wimp caliber or other. It isn't.

But, hey. It's my opinion. You aren't meant to like it.