Glock vs. 1911

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned both, I won't carry either.

I had a 1943 Remington-Rand that explained why the old military 1911s were called jam-o-matics. It worked fine if well lubricated, not so good otherwise. My Wilson Combat is a tack driver, but is a little finicky about what it eats and its lube job. Great for target shooting, but not what I'd want for a carry weapon. But is is pretty to look at.

I'll give Glock the edge for both reliability and blowup ability.

It's been my experience that the four most common causes of a 1911 malfunctioning are (in order of probability)

Bad magazines

Customization - esp. 'tightening' the gun to get bullseye groups.

Piss-poor manufacture

Worn out

The lube issue presents a problem usually when the gun is over-lubed, or not lubed at all. Someone on another forum is currently testing a new lube (actually it was made for aircraft applications) that holds a lot of promise...

The 1911 was designed as a service sidearm. It wasn't designed to be a target pistol, a competition toy for unrealistic 'games', or a test platform for the dozens or hundreds of modifications that the "Wile-E Coyote" school of gunsmithing graduates have subjected it to over the years. Somehow, though, it keeps plugging along.

The design works for me, but it takes all kinds, I guess. I personally don't have any need or desire for a plastic fantastic, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned. Heck, I even have a few wheel guns.

Now what I want is guns with wheels!

Guest Terry J

I have a glock and my brother has a modified 1911 and I like them both. One shoots just as good as the other. The only reason I dont have a 1911 is im not partial to the 45 round. No real reason not to like it other than everyone and their neighbor has one but i guess you cold say that about 9mm and .40's now also. But my 357 sig is still not very common.

The 1911 was designed as a service sidearm. It wasn't designed to be a target pistol, a competition toy for unrealistic 'games', or a test platform for the dozens or hundreds of modifications that the "Wile-E Coyote" school of gunsmithing graduates have subjected it to over the years. Somehow, though, it keeps plugging along.

The design works for me, but it takes all kinds, I guess. I personally don't have any need or desire for a plastic fantastic, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned. Heck, I even have a few wheel guns.

Now what I want is guns with wheels!

Yes. The gun was designed for a certain purpose (to fire hardball rounds with acceptable accuracy reliably out to 50 yards), to be made a certain way (with machined steel parts hand-fitted by trained workers). For what it was designed to do, it does it extremely well. But the further you go from that original conception the worse it gets.

That said, I have had an urge to acquire one. But I will probably end up with a SIG P220 SAO carry. Like I need another gun anyway.

I had a P220 at one time. Actually, it handled a lot like a 1911. My comment when I traded it was that it was a good weapon, but not exceptional.

I tend to say that a 1911 is good for commies coming over the berm. In other words, sufficient firepower and sufficient accuracy at close range.

Mark, I have to agree about the magazines. Best thing a 1911 owner can do is buy some decent mags. Lube seems to vary from weapon to weapon in my experience. You have to find what your 1911 likes. I find that grease works better than oil.

Rabbi, I think we're on the same page. FWIW, I've had very good results with Golden Saber and truncated cone flatnose. Spent years and money, and ruined a couple of good pistols learning to leave it the heck alone.

Quality manufacture, materials, and fitting appeal to me. I understand you're a revolver guy, I'd guess you have or had older S&W's, and know what I mean. It may be to my disadvantage that blow-molded plastic and miscellaneous toaster parts don't convey the perception of quality to me. It works for others, and thats' fine by me. Hey, some people like rap music.

The P220 is a fine pistol, hope you find one that suits you!

Disclaimer: I do not own a Glock, nor have I shot one. I do own a 1911, and owned one other previously.

I had never shot a pistol at all before I bought my first 1911 back in December. I had, however, held quite a few different types of guns, and the 1911 just felt right to me, ergonomically. The Glocks I held just didn't fit my hand at all. They just feel inherently wrong to me, so +1 for 1911.

**BRENT**

My daily carry is a 4" S&W Model 19 P&R in nickel that came from the White Bluff PD. How old school is that?

But I also own SIGs, esp the 239 in 9mm and I have a 220. The SIGs are remarkable for their accuracy and reliability. The triggers kind of suck--I'd consider them the least attractive feature of the gun, esp compared with the 1911 where triggers can be made exceptionally precise. This is why the 220 SAO appeals to me.

But I've never been a fan of polymer guns. I understand the advantages (and they are many) but except for the Steyrs they held little appeal for me.

I loved the cartoon and I must agree with it.

I've owned a Glock 19 and several 1911s. I'll get me another good 1911 one of these days, but I'll never own another Glock. It didn't shoot right for me. It was accurate, but it didn't point right.

I'll never own another Glock. It didn't shoot right for me. It was accurate, but it didn't point right.

Interesting you say that. That's exactly what I found out. I had a G26 and went to shoot an XD-9 sub, essentially the Croatian version of a G26. The G26 was accurate enough, but not as good as my Beretta 92SB. I had heard the XDs were accurate, but the first few rounds didn't seem that way.

Then I thought for a minute and told myself, "self - this isn't a Glock." The next shot was dead on. I had learned to compensate for the Glocks strange ergonomics. I traded the Glock for the XD-9 sub, which I had until recently.

I love penny arcade so the cartoon is automatically a hit for me, but I never thought the thread was honestly meant for debate. In my mind both guns serve different purposes and they both are capable of things that the other is not. Having said that I'm not a huge glock fan due mainly to ergonomics, so if I must vote, I vote 1911.

I got rid of my G19 and got an XD .40 V-10 ported model. It shot great, but the ports kept my front sight nasty. I had a sub-compact XD as well. They both shot good, but my heart wasn't in them. I now have a S&W M&P compact, which took the place of the sub compact XD, and a Sig 226 which took the bigger XD's place. There was a 1911 or two mixed in there as well.

Things I like about full size Glocks:

-Capacity

-Ease of disassembly for cleaning

-Simplicity

Things I like about full size 1911s (Kimber and the like.. higher end 1911s):

-Feel

-I like the external hammer - I like to see mechanical workings of machines for whatever reason

-They are ****ing beautiful guns

-Accuracy and reliability

The only things keeping me from switching from my Glock 36 to a compact 1911 for carry are cost and the fact that I can put this gun in my cargo pocket without worry about it snagging on something. I would only feel comfortable carrying a 1911 in a holster because of the hammer, safety, and sights protruding from the gun.

I tend to say that a 1911 is good for commies coming over the berm. In other words, sufficient firepower and sufficient accuracy at close range.

That pretty much covers the job requirements :D

Met a guy once, he carried a full-size 1911A1 as his Backup. Very well concealed, too. OTOH, I'm fairly sure he could carry his motorcycle home under one arm.

Reefbluecoupe, if you have a spare Gov't model for swap, I have a mint SA compact...

That pretty much covers the job requirements :D

Met a guy once, he carried a full-size 1911A1 as his Backup. Very well concealed, too. OTOH, I'm fairly sure he could carry his motorcycle home under one arm.

Reefbluecoupe, if you have a spare Gov't model for swap, I have a mint SA compact...

A Kimber Tactical II is my only 1911 and I'd like to keep that.. I will eventually get a compact 1911 but I don't know when.

Guest dotsun
You guys are missing the humor in that cartoon. :D

I thought it was hilarious, but honestly I didn't check the thread again for a while because I figured it was headed down the path of some of the other Glock threads. I'm pleased to see civil discussion on this topic, despite the bait. :D