How Much Do You Dry Fire?

Guest FroggyOne2

Guest FroggyOne2

I try to dry fire every day.. with the pistols.. since I have decided to get back into pistol competition. I usually dry fire my rifle once a week.. but with the season upon us.. I will have to pick that up.. I have been lazy this year with the lack of practice. I am going to make a change in that and start a new program for myself.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grout

I used to do it every day.I would dry fire,practice reloads,etc.Hell I would handle my pistol (unloaded) while watching tv just to make it become an extension of my arm.I don't compete anymore so all I do now is a bi-weekly practice with my carry guns.

Guest Revelator
It happens to the best of us, guys. Nothing to be ashamed of. :D:rofl::lol::rofl:

That is the first laugh-out-loud I've had all day. I practice firing about every day or every other, drawing from concealment and picking something...the door handle or a picture on the wall or whatever. Do it three or four times. I've heard of people blowing away their tv when they forgot to unload the gun, but that's never happened to me.

Got a snap cap on the bookshelve next to the bed. When I settle in for the evening and I'm waiting for something interesting to read to pop up here, I throw snap cap in and practice not only sighting but malfunction drill.

That damn cap can disappear in a blanket quicker than my kids do when I say we got chores to do!

Guest FroggyOne2

There is a range near me that I can go too.. in the mid of the week.. where I can be alone.. I plan getting some good dryfiring done there with movement.

Guest FroggyOne2
There is IPSC this Sat. 3-21 and 3 Gun Sun. 3-22 Come on out and put those dry fire skills to use.

Dag

Is that at "Doc's" place in G-ville or at ORSA

Guest mark_justmark

I've dry fired 1911s endlessly. Then I heard Snap caps are always supposed to be used? I thought anything can be dry fired except a rimfire.

A long time ago, (too many war stories) we were at a local gun shop getting a gun for the wife. When she was dry firing a little 32 or 380 automatic (don't remember brand or caliber) the counter guy got agitated and grabbed the pistol out of her hands. Yelled something about we were damaging his pistols, so we left.

Guest FroggyOne2

I will come to watch .. since I am not ready yet to do some shooting .. still waiting on the pistol to get here..and the dies.. lead pot, mold.. and the such.

i don't. i live fire at the farm several times a week. today it might be 22lr in a ruger mark 2 and reloads in a kel tec p11. at the end of the day i setup a target in the fron yard and pop a few caps with something to top off the day.

I dont dry fire as much as I should .

But setting around the house when I have time I do use my laser.

It has helped me alot to see how bad I pull.

That's one of the main benefits of dry firing. Dry firing often will help you improve immensely more so than simply firing thousands of rounds every week.

For the past week...

I get off work between 4:30-5:00, go home, run 1-2 miles, come back home, and dryfire for half an hour.

Buy Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson. Best shooting-related book ever. It's nothing but dryfire drills. Some form of structure is the best thing you can do for your practice.

• 3 weeks later...