Check out this mag change video!!

Guest pherman926

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think the vid is fast ,you should see him in an actual match. Well ,actually you can't see him him make the reload because he is moving so fast.

DaG

Guest BigJ45
If you think the vid is fast ,you should see him in an actual match. Well ,actually you can't see him him make the reload because he is moving so fast.

DaG

Yeah magazines just magically appear at his feet it is something to see.

Yeah, I;m sure he's fast. And so what?

I note he is using a gun that no one ever carries on the street, one that has been modified for this particular purpose.

It is like watching Bob Mundell shoot single action revolvers. Yeah, someone spent a huge amount of time practicing and blowing off rounds. OK, if that floats your boat.

Honestly about any of us could achieve mag changes with that equipment and enough time and effort in practice.

Guest BigJ45
Yeah, I;m sure he's fast. And so what?

I note he is using a gun that no one ever carries on the street, one that has been modified for this particular purpose.

It is like watching Bob Mundell shoot single action revolvers. Yeah, someone spent a huge amount of time practicing and blowing off rounds. OK, if that floats your boat.

Honestly about any of us could achieve mag changes with that equipment and enough time and effort in practice.

I promise you it is not the car it is the driver. If you tried to do a 1/2 second reload with a 2011 you would probably lose some fingernails. Since your experience with practical shooting is limited to IDPA ( I Don't Practice Anymore) a game which uses it's silly ass rules to keep you from getting you gun back into action rapidly you have no appreciation of the time and dedication it takes to be a top level IPSC shooter like Travis.

Guest triggertime

What's with the name calling? Grow up, dude. Not everyone is going to be impressed by the same things that flip your chicken...

I deleted a couple of messages here. One was for name calling and the other was because it was a response that included the original post.

It's fine to disagree. Not fine to call someone a nasty name.

Debate the issues folks.

Guest BigJ45
I have to agree with Rabbi and Marswolf. If you had the gear and the time that should be achievable for any of us.

If you have a semi-auto handgun, some magazines and a mag pouch you have the gear. The time part is up to you. Travis is one of the best practical pistol shooters in the world, I don't care if he has a STI, Glock or a single stack 1911 in his hands. If you want to think it is the gear to make your self feel better go ahead, but it ain't so.

If you want to think it is the gear to make your self feel better go ahead, but it ain't so.

Last time I checked I felt great about myself. I am not denying the guy is Fast(ooooh). All I am saying is if anyone put in the time he obviously has they should be able to achieve similiar results. Oh and I usually carry my mags weakside under a cover garment and my glock doesn't have a magwell the size of the Grand Canyon.

If you have a semi-auto handgun, some magazines and a mag pouch you have the gear. The time part is up to you. Travis is one of the best practical pistol shooters in the world, I don't care if he has a STI, Glock or a single stack 1911 in his hands. If you want to think it is the gear to make your self feel better go ahead, but it ain't so.

Amazingly no one has said so. The consensus has been that anyone, anyone, with the same gear and enough practice time could achieve results similar to this.

Ed McGivern, probably the most accomplished revolver shooter until Jerry Miculek, writes that when he started he noticed he had no special talent for shooting. Everything that he achieved came from long practice.

I am sure I could achieve mag changes to rival this. But the honest truth is that I dont care enough about making fancy impressive mag changes to spend the time on it. Call it laziness, I dont care.

Bu the vehemence that some IPSC shooters approach their little pastime with is remarkable.

Guest BigJ45

I have the gear and after 10 years and several hundred thousand mag changes I can't pull that off with any kind of regularity. As far as my pastime goes at one time my pastime was IDPA but after a couple of years, a master classification, and two state champion plaques on the wall I thought I was pretty good. Then I shot a IPSC match and heard a loud POP! it was my head coming out of my ass. This was what pistol shooting was all about, the skill level of the average shooters was far greater than anything I had seen in IDPA. I only regret the time I wasted shooting IDPA when I could have been having more fun and becoming a better shooter shooting IPSC. Maybe someday you will hear the POP! too. But if you are satisfied by limiting yourself to being a mediocre pistol shooter don't even listen for it. But don't say "I could do that if" because he CAN do that.

wow, what's with all the animosity about some impressive mag changes? the guy is a professional shooter, he practices and practices and is one of the best in the world. just like any other iconic figure in their given sport. "i could do that if i wanted too" yeah and if i wanted to i could go play golf a bunch and beat tiger woods... if i wanted too. how about respecting the guy for dedicating himself to something and becoming what he has in his sport. i didn't see anything at the bottom of the video saying, "look at how fast i am, i'm better than you." this is getting a little ridiculous lately, keep your posts pertinent to the subject at hand, don't just post something to push somebodies buttons just to piss them off.

I have the gear and after 10 years and several hundred thousand mag changes I can't pull that off with any kind of regularity.

But evidently you can do it occasionaly? Must need to practice more.

As far as my pastime goes at one time my pastime was IDPA but after a couple of years, a master classification, and two state champion plaques on the wall I thought I was pretty good.

Yeah but that was all against those IDPA plebe's.(ever shoot against Sevigny?)

Then I shot a IPSC match and heard a loud POP! it was my head coming out of my ass.

That must have been a relief!

This was what pistol shooting was all about, the skill level of the average shooters was far greater than anything I had seen in IDPA. I only regret the time I wasted shooting IDPA when I could have been having more fun and becoming a better shooter shooting IPSC.

I am gonna have to start telling every average shooter I know to get rid of their lame stock Glocks, XD's, 1911's and get red dot sights and magwells and compensators and speed scabbards..Oh and might as well get one of those carry permit badges since they'll be open carrying.:D

Maybe someday you will hear the POP! too.

Every time my wife fixes enchiladas.

But if you are satisfied by limiting yourself to being a mediocre pistol shooter don't even listen for it. But don't say "I could do that if" because he CAN do that.

If you classify ability by how fast you can clear a stage then have fun playing gun games. The bottom line is that Travis is the son of a competitive shooter who had the opportunity to become a member of the AMU his JOB is to shoot. He better be good at it. I am a professional audio engineer. I work for the world's largest sound company. I bet I can spin up 12 mixes on a stage in an arena full of 40,000 people fast enough to make the average church sound guy say damn(no offense intended church sound guys). It is my job and I am good at it. However, those same church sound guys could probably get pretty good at it also if they had to do it everyday. Have you ever been shot at? I have I'm still alive that's what I call success. I think competitive shooting is a good way to learn and have some fun while you practice gunhandling and marksmanship skills. However, being an elitist about which type is better pretty much shows you miss the point. IDPA is a good way for the "average" shooter to practice said gun skills without missing a mortgage payment. If IPSC is your cup o' tea have at it. Toodles.....Oh and yes I am impressed by his ability that is pretty darned fast.

I never really understood the heated comparisons of IDPA and IPSC. So IDPA is an anagram for "I don't practice anymore." So what? IPSC is an anagram for "Idiots practicing silly crap." Both are cliches and don't mean anything. Give me a few minutes and I could come up with derogatory and non-derogatory anagrams for just about any word.

I competed IDPA when I first started shooting because at the time, it was the only thing available locally. I had never shot in, or even heard of IPSC, and a couple of years later, I went to an IPSC match in another city, under the impression that it was going to be exactly the same type of thing we did at the range where I shot.

Interestingly enough, with the exception of two other masters, both shooting scoped guns, I beat everyone there, including one other master shooting a scoped gun. After a brief argument with one of them about how my gun must have been extremely modified, because, even though they beat me, it wasn't by a huge margin, I reshot the stage using his scoped gun, and he reshot using my completely stock Sig 229.

I shot the stage considerably faster using his gun, and he shot the stage considerably slower using my gun.

For people that don't believe it, OF COURSE equipment can make a difference. For instance, all else being equal, when the magazine is 3 or 4 inches from the gun, OF COURSE the reload is going to be quicker than if the magazine is on your side 16 or 18 inches from the gun.

For people that don't believe it, some people are just good shooters, and they can shoot pretty well with just about any type of gun.

IDPA isn't better than IPSC, and IPSC isn't better than IDPA. They are both different things. If you don't like IDPA, you DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT IT, and, if you don't like IPSC, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT IT. Neither one will make you a warrior. Both are just shooting sports.

I was at an IDPA match just this past weekend listening to someone say, "IPSC is so much more realistic than IDPA. IPSC will make you a gun fighter and IDPA will just killed you killed. I hate IDPA. It is the stupidest (sic) gun sport there is." Two which I replied, "Then why the hell are you here shooting it?"

ETA: as a side note, the same guy was also saying, "Taking cover doesn't make any sense. Why would you EVER take cover?"