Opinions and Help Please...

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

I am going to be buying a new all around handgun. It will be used for carry and home.

I am not interested in a revolver. I have held many guns and shot a few. My question is this:

Which gun would ya'll recommend? Please see stats below. I will take recommendations into account when I go look. I figure between everyone, ya'll might be able to narrow a selection down. Thanks

My hand size is average to small (I love and want a glock 23, but from the back to front of the grip feels too thick. Is the Glock 19 any less bulky in the grip than the .40)

This also causes a comfort and concealment issue on the XD. The handle sticks out a football field past the bottom of my palm.

Maybe a compact model, but I want atleast 10+ rounds.

I want something with an external safety, but will settle without it if it has other safety features and not a hair trigger. (grip safety, trigger, etc)

I want something that I can somewhat conceal and be comfortable carrying. I am 5'9", 180. So a 4lb 1911 is probably out :rofl:

My thoughts on caliber:

9mm - Never shot one

.40 - own and shoot. Comfortable recoil from a Ruger p94

.45 - shot a taurus .45 24/7 and felt I would not be comfortable with follow up shots (kicked like a mule to me) Was it the taurus or the caliber?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

First, only you will be able to answer the question about what's right for you.

Having said that, and after reading your criteria, I'd recommend a S&W M&P 9mm (compact or standard).

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest jps37033

Todd = Thanks. That is what I was looking for. An informed opinion on model, reliability, and overall stats. I know I have to find the right one, just wanted some feedback from experience. Thanks

Strickj = :D You are not helping my narrowing of the selection. LOL Besides that, great joke. :rofl:

Having said that, and after reading you're criteria, I'd recommend a S&W M&P 9mm (compact or standard).

The M&P is a nice choice, although it does lack the manual safety, IIRC. The interchangeable backstraps are a plus.

I'd also suggest taking a look at the Bersa Thunder. I don't have one, but a firend does, and it's actually a nice shooting gun. They offer compact versions.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa45pro.php

Guest jps37033

DaveTN - Thats 2 for the M&P. This is a great help. Thanks

Also, could the Taurus 24/7 .45 just been a bad gun and recoil be an issue? I had a pt145 a long time ago which is lighter and do not remember the recoil being that bad!

Any feedback on a px4 storm? I heard that the design is supposed to eat up some recoil? They have a compact model. Anyone know what the grip size would be compared to?

I like the idea of the models with interchangable palmswells.

M&P

SR9

PX4

What about an FNP40?

Guest jps37033

Thanks TripleDR - I actually handled a few bersa's. Owned a thunder 380 in the Army. Good guns, but the .45 thunder just lacked a good finished gun feel to me. Also, the grip was way too chunky. Thanks

Also, could the Taurus 24/7 .45 just been a bad gun and recoil be an issue?

I don’t know, but you said you were comfortable with the .40.

I have both .40’s and .45’s and I think if you can handle the .40 you should be good with the .45.

I just don’t like the 9mm for a carry round, but if you do the M&P comes in that caliber.

Oh yea and before I forget….. buy American; we need your help. :rofl:

patriot.gif

Guest jps37033

The M&P makes a model with a safety! Sweet! Is it only in .45 with thumb safety? Anyone know?

Just found it. My next gun might just be the .40 compact M&P with thumb safety and interchangable grips. WOO HOO!

Edited by jps37033
Guest jps37033

I owned a kel tec p32. I do not think I could own another kel tec. Thanks though.

I actually just found and M&P w/ thumb safety on gunbroker that is 15 miles from me :rofl:

Guest db99wj

Glock, XD or M&P (not in any order). Don't let the thickness of grip sway you. That is something you will come to "grips" with the more you shoot it. I chose the XD because of grip, I have come to realize, that aspect is really not that important, unless it throws your aim off, but even then, shoot and shoot some more until you correct any issues.

You are in Martin, head down to RangeUSA in Memphis and you can shoot all 3 out of the rental counter, Around $10 and plus their ammo, you can shoot all 3 on that same $10, you just have to, and you will, buy more ammo.

Of those three, I don't think you can go wrong. The one that YOU like the best, that has the "options" you want and are comfortable with and you will have no problem carrying everyday, is the right choice for you.

Just my .02

Guest jps37033

Very interesting on the HK's. Never looked at them. I like the specs and looks on the USP Compact .40. I dont know anything about them, are they great guns/brand?

Very interesting on the HK's. Never looked at them. I like the specs and looks on the USP Compact .40. I dont know anything about them, are they great guns/brand?

Sure, just generally pricier than more "mainstream" pieces like Glock or XD.

Being an XD guy, I'd also urge you to take close look at XD Sub Compact as you are comparing everything.

- OS

Guest DJBiker

Having said that, and after reading your criteria, I'd recommend a S&W M&P 9mm (compact or standard).

+1

Guest eyebedam

XD-M in for & you can the a 9mm drop in barrel.

M&P is a great choice to.

A quality 1911--

I know your thinking its wieght would make it difficult to conceal but get a good gunbelt & a high quality holster & you will never know its there. Just remember if you spending 450 to 500 on a gun why would you spend atleast 60 to 100.00 to properly support it when carrying.

Sorry if theres any typos in here the sailor jerry rums a flowin through me.