carrying on greyhound a bus

i might be going to a CDL training school in Gary Indiana. the company that is taking care of the training pays for the trip to Gary indiana, lodging and all the little what not items. i know my TN permit is good in indiana and kentucky, but what are the laws if any about carrying on a greyhound bus between Chattanooga TN and Gary Indiana?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not aware of any federal law specifically regarding carry on Greyhound buses. I guess they could post their property with the proper signs in states that require them.

Corporate policy is a different story. From the Greyhound website:

On Board Restrictions

For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.

ETA: Also, you may want to do some research about gun laws in Gary. I know that is not a very gun-friendly town, and if Indiana does not have state preemption laws, then there may be some more restrictive laws than the rest of the state.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Guest JHatmaker

According to my Carry Permit instuctor, there's a law that allows you to carry a gun in your car, through non-carry states as long as you keep the gun locked and unloaded as you travel through that state, and that your final destination is a carry state.. If you have to stay in a hotel during the trip in a non-carry state, you must keep the gun in your car, locked and unloaded, and the hotel must be close (or right off) the interstate.

Regarding Greyhound's firearms policy:

Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage

Acids, ammunition, animals, combustible liquids, compressed gases, corpses, cremated remains, explosives, firearms of all types, fireworks, flammable liquids, furniture, hazardous materials (poisons, radioactive materials, etc.), materials with a disagreeable odor, matches, merchandise for resale, protruding articles, or any unsecured articles including those in plastic or paper bags are prohibited. Electronic equipment (television, stereos, etc.), film (flammable), and perishable items (food) may be sent using Greyhound PackageXpress with appropriate packing. Items such as money and prescription medication may not be checked as baggage and are to be carried in the customer's possession.

Guest JHatmaker

Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage <====that is in checked baggage. would that apply to carrying it concealed and keeping your mouth shut? i could see if you were trying to carry in a bag to be loaded as cargo.

Exactly. I would just keep it very well concealed, you know that half the people on a Greyhound probably have a knife of some kind.

Guest Traumaslave

The biggest word in concealed carry is,,,,,,,, that's right kids, it's concealed. :D Gray dogs clients, for the most part, aren't the finest citizens this world has to offer. And Gary, Indiana surely isn't the kind of place I would go without my carry. Just beware of Chicago. It is just up the road and they have tight rules on carry.

Guest db99wj

Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage <====that is in checked baggage. would that apply to carrying it concealed and keeping your mouth shut? i could see if you were trying to carry in a bag to be loaded as cargo.

Exactly. I would just keep it very well concealed, you know that half the people on a Greyhound probably have a knife of some kind.
yeah, dont remind me of the guy that went nuts on one about a year ago. that is just plain crazy.

I would not ride any other way.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I know times are tight right now, but would it be out of the question to drive your own vehicle up there and get them to reimburse you for gas up to the amount that they would have spent on the bus ticket? That would solve several issues that I can see. There would be no need to worry about Greyhounds ignorant policies. It would give you more freedom of movement while in Gary and the trip up there would be considerably shorter.

In direct answer to your question, it looks like others have identified that Greyhound does not permit firearms. That being said, assuming they have no security checkpoints there is no way I would step foot on a GH bus trip without my carry weapon and there is no way I would be caught in Gary Indiana without it either.

As previously posted, you can't carry at all in Chicago. ...

Carry? Hell, you can't even OWN a handgun in Chicago, unless you had it and registered it before 1983!

All long guns, besides the FOID necessary to buy them, must also be registered with the Chicago police dept.

- OS

Guest db99wj
Carry? Hell, you can't even OWN a handgun in Chicago, unless you had it and registered it before 1983!

All long guns, besides the FOID necessary to buy them, must also be registered with the Chicago police dept.

- OS

It's ok, since Chicago is a gun free zone. No need for a gun there....

Guest fan of the 1911
IMHO you are an absolute moron if you don't carry when going to Gary, Indiana. Corporate rules or not I wouldn't go to that cesspool unarmed.

+1 Lived in Detroit 4 years, went to Chicago more than a few times, Garry is bad !!! I have some family there. Go unshaven, unshowered, put duct tape on your suit case, and twitch a little. In other words blend in on the bus. Stay safe!!!

the thing that gets me and the better half and i talked about it is the close proximity to illinois and me not having a vehicle there and not wanting to leave a gun in the hotel room, i dont think i am going to go that route. the danger of the possibility of practicing driving in chicago or anywhere in illinois is not a good idea carrying a gun. not in a truck where you cant have a locking safe of some sort for interstate travel per the fed government.