Long guns in cars

Guest Revelator

Would you keep a loaded long gun in the car if they make it legal?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep a loaded long gun in the car if they make it legal?

• Yes-when the zombie outbreak hits, it'll be at rush hour
    • No-too risky to leave one in the car
    • Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on my plans for the day

Guest Revelator

Many of you probably know that one of the bills up in the legislature right now would allow carry permit holders to have loaded long guns in their cars. Currently, the law allows you (carry permit or not) to have an unloaded long gun in the car. You may have a loaded rifle or shotgun in the car only if it's in the course of hunting, sport shooting and the like. But for general, everyday purposes it must be unloaded. If you're going to have the ammo for it, it more or less better be far away from the gun, and preferably locked up.

So. I thought I'd start a little poll on folks' opinions on this. If this law passes, and if you are a carry permit holder who doesn't keep a rifle or shotgun in the car now (if you already do I assume you still would if it goes through), would that motivate you to change your mind? The way the law is now, it makes it kind of difficult since you have to keep everything locked up and separate. Would being able to keep it loaded make you say "Heck yeah!" Or is the risk of having it stolen too great regardless of the law?

I'm on the fence about it, but at this point I have to vote no. I'd love to have a 30-30 or an SKS at my disposal when I'm riding around, but I'm just not comfortable leaving a firearm in the car. In a bigger city like Memphis I just don't think it's a good idea. But in a smaller town or out in the country, I might feel different.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'll not keep a loaded long gun in car period.

Unless the law change also allows me to walk around with it.

Neither of my vehicles has a trunk, either, which figures partly into it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest jdavis

honestly, i didnt know that i wasnt supposed to carry a loaded long gun in the vehicle until now, so it wouldnt change things much for me.

Guest bkelm18

The only thing it would change for me would be transporting it to the range and back. I don't forsee myself just driving around with a loaded AK in the back.

Guest Linoge

I admit - I probably would not keep a long gun, loaded or unloaded, in my vehicle, even if this new bill passed. However, I would very much love for the option to be legally available to me, rather than pointlessly banned as it is at the moment.

Guest SUNTZU

I would. Most of the time that I'm working (when I had a job) I'm outside around my truck. I wouldn't have it if I was heading to the mall or going backpacking.

I doubt I will keep one in the car even if the law passes. Personally, I do not like keeping guns in my car unattended. My car is not a favorite of the criminals, but I don't want to risk a firearm being stolen.

However, I do hope the law passes. I would like to have the option.

Guest 270win

I sometimes throw one loaded in the back seat when going to my hunting site, but that seems legal anyway. It also seems legal when going to and from the range, which i sometimes do. I wouldn't drive around with a loaded long gun in the Memphis area because I'd have to keep it in the trunk to keep it from being stolen and that doesn't do me a lot of good. A handgun is much easier to use in a vehicle.

On a side note, I know people back home in Arkansas that purposefully carry a loaded long gun in their vehicle because they don't want to pay the money for a concealed handgun license (long guns are not weapons in Arkansas...only handguns). It was a nice option if I could not legally figure out a way to throw luggage in the car to look like i was on a journey to carry my handgun. It was also nice b/c you can have a loaded long gun on college campuses and not be breaking the law because AR only makes handguns a criminal offense.

Guest tcampbell

I listened to the reasoning behind this when it was voted on in the committee last week. It is basically easier for CPH holders to transport their long guns to the range. I have an SUV...I don't have a trunk. If I have a shotgun in the back, where I can't reach it, and a box of shot shells next to it, state law considers that loaded. Basically, it will make it easier to transport our long guns. I wouldn't leave one in the SUV though. Right now, I have the shotgun cased in the back and locked, and the shells behind my seat...in a lock box. That is the only way I can currently transport it that I know of. Even if you have a magazine loaded, and it is not in the vincicity of the gun, you could still be charged with havng a loaded long gun as explained during the committee, CHP or not. I hope the bill passes.

Guest Mugster

I voted, hell yeah, when the zombies break I'll be ready. We'll see if it passes. I've been fanatical about keeping my locks on the rifles in the truck and ammo locked in an ammo can in the truck bed. A couple of horror stories of seized weapons is what really led me to get a carry permit. Ironic that the police and not the crooks led to that.

Might consider some type of welded rack, like the setup in an old 5/4 to lock the rifle into. I consider theft a minimal threat. It would be something cheap, light, and fast handling.

We'll see if it passes. I'm not holding my breath.

Guest abailey362

the other option currently is to have the gun in non-firing order. you can pop the 2 pins and disassemble the ar and carry in a case designed that way (like a rock river factory case) or I have also been changing the bcg out with a 22 conversion that does not match my mags.

if i'm going to shoot .22 I will load the mags and have the .223 bcg in the gun and the conversion in the tube it came in and no .223 loaded mags. if i'm shooting .223, load the mags up and drop the 22 kit in. the gun will not function and fire as it sits and it's much easier to load mags at home.

Guest Mugster
the other option currently is to have the gun in non-firing order. you can pop the 2 pins and disassemble the ar and carry in a case designed that way (like a rock river factory case) or I have also been changing the bcg out with a 22 conversion that does not match my mags.

if i'm going to shoot .22 I will load the mags and have the .223 bcg in the gun and the conversion in the tube it came in and no .223 loaded mags. if i'm shooting .223, load the mags up and drop the 22 kit in. the gun will not function and fire as it sits and it's much easier to load mags at home.

+1, I've done that too, but people think i'm nuts when i post it.

Guest Astra900

I didn't vote, cause I do already. I don't actually keep my rifle loaded, but the mags are and there's no difference in the eye of the law. I don't worry too much about theft, I rarely leave home, and I don't leave it in the car while at home. Anti theft, double check all the locks when you get out, and I have a nifty little hidey spot fer it;)

My alternative is to carry a Mosin or mauser, and have loaded stripper clips on hand for it.

+1, I've done that too, but people think i'm nuts when i post it.

Reading that explanation made my head hurt.

I'm going to take 2 aspirin and carry my long guns if I have a reason to take them with me. :screwy:

Guest Mugster
I didn't vote, cause I do already. I don't actually keep my rifle loaded, but the mags are and there's no difference in the eye of the law. I don't worry too much about theft, I rarely leave home, and I don't leave it in the car while at home. Anti theft, double check all the locks when you get out, and I have a nifty little hidey spot fer it;)

My alternative is to carry a Mosin or mauser, and have loaded stripper clips on hand for it.

I suspect many do this. I'm sympathetic, and wouldn't turn anybody in. Like carrying a handgun into a restaurant, I think this is a real bad decision for most people. Unless you can take the legal hit and not care.

Guest Mugster

Reading that explanation made my head hurt.

I'm going to take 2 aspirin and carry my long guns if I have a reason to take them with me. :screwy:

Hah!

Trying to keep up with the law makes more than my head hurt. What we all need is an industrial sized bottle of prep-h. The taxes, they are a-coming.

I would definitely say Yes to carrying a long gun in my vehicle. Several states allow this and it, historically, has been a non-issue.

A handgun is a reactive tool. It's niche is for "Close Range Interpersonal Confrontations", esp. in confined spaces.

A long gun may well be needed in circumstances where the hand gun just doesn't fill the bill.

This is not a Zombie-Hoard Fantasy :screwy:

... an area of natural and/or un-natural disaster (Katrina/Rita), social unrest and rioting, terrorist activity, etc. You may be cut off from your home when things happen. Legally having an option to transition to a long gun is, to me, a peace of mind factor.

We each have a responsibility to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. A little forethought goes a long way.

I've carried a long gun in my vehicle for many years and I'm glad to see TN is seriously opening a legal avenue for this.

YMMV

Prag