What Do You Prefer??

Guest Julez

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster
I guess for right now, I'm going to build her that fAL in .308 caliber..and then later on down the road, I guess I'll end up getting something chambered in 338 Lapua. (spelling?) as she progresses.

that and we may have to move somewhere that will allow a 1000 yard shoot.:D

As for the fal, I reckon she'll end up with a leather cheek rest and some other goodies to make it more comfortable for her..but at the end of the day, you know how it goes...if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!

Tullahoma has a 1000 yard range. AFAIK they still shoot benchrest matches there, although they closed for awhile after 9/11. Also, the sportmans club in Oak Ridge TN has a 1000 yards when its open. 600 there everyday, they only open the 1000 on specific dates I think. I never got to shoot 1000 the few times I went there but the facilities are 1st rate. The state championship hi power matches are there now...I'd like to see them move it back to tullahoma.

Pretty much any bolt in a real caliber will go 1000 on a calm day. 6mm's are what the bench shooters prefer. If you want to keep your rig to a reasonable $1200ish, a remington sedero is a good choice. I have an older one in 7mm that shoots better than I can. I can cut 1.5" groups 5 shot groups at 300 yards with really cheap 100gr varmint bullet handloads...plus the recoil on it is pretty good. The sendero's have tight chambers across the board and they respond really well to handloading for accuracy. Savage builds accurate stock rifles as well, although the chamber cuts are not as tight, imo.

If you want .338, look at the .338 ultra mag. Its half again the price of the lapua in terms of the ammo (brass) and just about the same ballistics to 1000 yards on handloads. Premo match quality ammo for 1000 yards is really expensive, if you don't reload. I mean 3-6 bucks a shot, and its special order most of the time. Make sure you can afford to shoot it before you buy it.

Thanks for the Info Mugster! I appreciate it.

I think that right now, Julie is all about service rifles..and may end up shooting in that category for awhile. Also thanks for the range information! I guess we're going to end up with more than one rod and gun club application as Julie wants to be able to shoot when ever...plus, while I'm gone working, she can take my sister in law out there to cherokee here in Kingsport.