What Do You Prefer??

Guest Julez

Guest Julez

I like to shoot rifles, and I really want to find an excellent long range rifle. The problem is, that because I'm a girl.... most rifles are entirely to long OR to heavy or both. I've tried the AR-15 with collapsable stock but I hated it! It's not very accurate and almost TOO light. I love shooting the FAL/SA58, although it's extremely heavy, and it's hard to get a good sight picture without contorting myself into some strange positions. (I think the butt stock is a little long for me). I also like shooting the M1A, but it also presents the same difficulties as the FAL/SA58. Anyways, I just thought I'd see what the rest of you prefer?

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

How about a bolt action Remington 700 chambered for the 300 Win Mag with a floating 27.5" Stainless Heavy Barrel, synthetic stock and a 2 lb. trigger?

sniper.gif

I ain't got one but I sure would like to.

Since I don't have the budget to pick one of those babies up I'll have to stick with my AR-15, my Ruger Mini-14 and my SKS for my "reach out and touch someone" rifles. They don't reach nearly as far but within 800 yds. my target will sure know I tapped him/her.

If an AR-15 is what you are looking for then try a Colt CAR with a JP enterprise stock. They are fully adjustable and will give you the proper check weld. If you decide to sell it in the future keep the stock and put the original back on for the sale. The JP stock will fetch a nice price by itself.

Guest CrazyLincoln

I'm Biased, but how about the Sig 556? Heavier than the AR. Short Barrel. Like no recoil with the .223, and great accuracy with the heavier match ammo in the 1-in-7 barrel. If you're near Nashville you're welcome to try mine sometime. If you're in Memphis or Knoxville, I pass through all the time, if you can find me somewhere to shoot, I can bring it on a trip.

Guest Julez

Man... I really don't like the AR-15 at all. So unless, I guess until they start making the FAL/SA58 in midget size, I'll just have to get a bipod and a nice cheek rest.

Guest c.a.s.

Neat Avatar. It looks oddly familiar to me...

I know what you mean by "oversized", being smaller myself, but I don't really dawdle in long-range weapons. I don;t have a local range with proper distance, or anyone with land that's clear enough.

Hero Gear is on the right track with the CZ - those are some fine shooting irons.

.223 is just a tad light, although with a bolt action you can cycle stuff that ARs will choke on.

A couple of oddball thoughts for you....

A Swede Mauser in 6.5x55 - bolt action. Light weight, low recoil, excellent accuracy.

Or, if you know the right people, an FAL in 260 Remington. Not super cheap, and stock dimensions are the same, but the round is smaller...

Man... I really don't like the AR-15 at all. So unless, I guess until they start making the FAL/SA58 in midget size, I'll just have to get a bipod and a nice cheek rest.

I'll tell you what Julez... there is a company called Robinson Armament who makes a rifle called the XCR. It's manual of arms is remarkably similar to the FAL, but on a smaller scale, chambered for the .223 cartridge.

http://www.robarm.com/index.htm

Check it out.

Other than that, you might look into an AK47/74 variant... they have shorter length of pull than most American weapons. It's worth a try.

Edit:

You asked what we prefer...

After owning various ARs, etc... for a few years, I have gravitated towards the AK platform. Mainly for simplicity. It's a rifle I might have to fight with at intermediate and close-quarters, and can practice with cheaply without worrying about wearing it out. I still need to get a .22lr rifle for plinking, but I also have a lever-action .357 which will fit that bill as well, and also suffice for hunting. I'm personally not that interested in long-range rifle shooting or hunting (unless out of necessity)... I'd rather collect handguns, and hone my skills with a carry weapon which fits me.

Welcome to TGO!

Guest Papabear

What are your requirements for the rifle? You seem to be shooting semi auto guns is this all you are interested in? What ranges are you looking to shoot at 500, 800, 1000 yards? How much recoil is acceptable? What kind of budget do you have for the firearm? Once we have a little more information it will be easier to suggest a solution for you. You may be looking at a custom to semi-custom gun to fit all your needs for fit to your frame and the accuracy you are looking for. I have built several guns for myself that were used for 1000 yard shooting but none of them were a off the shelf solution. Depending on the range distance there are more soutions open to you in the stock guns.

I caught BRD bad this year. Once everything arrives (two uppers still being built) I will have the 5.56, .204 Ruger (both here now) and 6.8 SPC and .458 Socom. With the availability of stocks and hand grips these can really be tailored to anyone.

I love em all, bolts, semi, muzzle loader, pistols. Not enough money to get everything I want. There is no bad gun, cept maybe for anything made by a Frenchman. At least those are cheap, never fired and dropped only once.:confused:

...There is no bad gun, cept maybe for anything made by a Frenchman. At least those are cheap, never fired and dropped only once.:confused:

Heh... While the French certainly get the puss award for the past century, the FAMAS is indeed one sweet rifle!

I have no idea where MolonlabeTN comes up with these things, but checking out the AK platform is good advice. I've always thought the AK was built with people with smaller frames/shorter arms in mind.

And I'll also add that French guns have generally better reputations than French soldiers. Be that as it may, go AK. (Hey, that rhymes!)

I was thinking something more along these lines:

pinkAK.JPG

My wife has an AK Varient (Maddi). She is 5'2" and loves it. I have been trying to get her to warm up to my AR (Has a collapsable stock) but she likes the weight and the kick of the AK. :confused: Says it feels like a REAL gun! LOL!

where did you find a PINK ak?

She has also been asking me if there was a way to make it more "Girly" and was just asking me if I could do something to make it "Pink" or "Purple". Can't wait to show her that image of teh Pink AK.

I have been thinking of trying my hand at using some of that DuraCoat stuff. But still undecided.

Back on topic...

My wife has short arms and prefers the her AK over anything else she has shot so far. She shoots mainly Bowling pins, and has never really had much on an interest in shooting long ranges with my other stuff. So her AK is a great fit for her.

More seriously:

She wants something accurate for long range shooting with a shorter buttstock.

In a bolt rifle I'd look at the CZ, esp the CZ carbine in 7.62x39.

In a semi I'd look at the pseudo-Dragonovs in 7.62x54R. I have one available.

An AK is not going to give the kind of accuracy she wants and she doesnt like the AR platform (heresy!).

Guest Papabear

I have been looking at adding one of those guns to my collection. How do they shoot?

More seriously:

She wants something accurate for long range shooting with a shorter buttstock.

In a bolt rifle I'd look at the CZ, esp the CZ carbine in 7.62x39.

An AK is not going to give the kind of accuracy she wants and she doesnt like the AR platform (heresy!).

OoooooO... you have a 7.62x54R Romak/PSL?

Mind if I ask how much you've got it listed for?