What Do You Prefer??

Guest Julez

I have been looking at adding one of those guns to my collection. How do they shoot?

I dont know. I've never shot one. My impression is that they are simply Romanian AKs dressed up with a longer barrel, scope, and Dragunov stock. Probably a couple of other mods as well. Thus I'd expect them to shoot about like an AK or better. Ammo is certainly cheap enough for it though. But if I wanted to shoot 7.62Russian long range I'd get a Mosin.

There are other guns I'd rather buy for $700-ish dollars, which is why I passed on getting this one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did you find a PINK ak?...

It's just a picture... never seen this one in person (though I have seen some interesting paint jobs on AK furniture).

This one looks almost like it was dyed somehow... the wood-grain still show through. I rather like that look. The same effect could be make with rosewood furniture (boy would that be expensive!). My Ak is parkerized with black furniture... but I think that a polished Ak with high quality wood furniture is the most beautiful ugly-gun I can think of.

That picture came from the talented studio of Oleg Volk, owner of TheHighRoad.org, A_Human_Right.org, and VolkStudio. He is an exceptional photographer of firearms and does work for catalogues etc. He also lives here in Nashville.

I think the gun in question was photoshopped. Even so, it should not be hard to get wood furniture and refinish it to the right hue.

I want an underfolder with a pretty wood foregrip. I think Ironwood has them.

Guest Julez
Try this:

d_1769.jpg

Girls don't need guns anyway.:confused:

Um, I was asking for an opinion on GUNS, not WOMEN. When I was a teenager, knowing how to use a gun helped to deter a burglar from entering my parent's home. My mother and I were alone at the time, if my Dad hadn't taught me how to use his guns, we would have been defensless. Years ago when I was younger and lived alone, owning a gun prevented an unruly ex-boyfriend from beating me. He broke through my door and wrecked my home, but he never touched me. It prolly had something to do with the .38 Rossi I was pointing at his nose! In my opinion, if more women were comfortable with owning and shooting firearms, the instances of violence against women in this country would be significantly lower!

Guest Julez
What are your requirements for the rifle? You seem to be shooting semi auto guns is this all you are interested in? What ranges are you looking to shoot at 500, 800, 1000 yards? How much recoil is acceptable? What kind of budget do you have for the firearm? Once we have a little more information it will be easier to suggest a solution for you. You may be looking at a custom to semi-custom gun to fit all your needs for fit to your frame and the accuracy you are looking for. I have built several guns for myself that were used for 1000 yard shooting but none of them were a off the shelf solution. Depending on the range distance there are more soutions open to you in the stock guns.

Well, I own several hand guns, but I really like long range. I had never shot semi auto rifles until my husband suggested I give it a try! (He's so regretting that moment! LOL) I would like a rifle with a range between 750 - 1000 yards. Recoil isn't much of an issue for me, I can shoot the M1A and the FAL/SA58 without any difficulty. Elliott is thinking about building a FAL/SA58 for me, so accessory suggestions would be nice. I also really liked the M1A with the Sage stock that Donnie suggested! I've never shot an AK, so they might well be an option too! Money isn't much of an issue, as we would consider it as an investment!

Guest ETS_Inc

The Dragunov, and its various clones, are not true 'sniper' rifles, and, as such, they are not extremely accurate. They are more along the lines of a designated marksman's rifle. They will do a fair job out to 300 meters or so, but not nearly as well as most American shooters are prone to consider accurate.

The CZ rifles are great, regardless of chambering. With a decent set of glass, you can get some excellent accuracy out of them.

• Administrator
Man... I really don't like the AR-15 at all.

Sacrilege! Saying you don't like the AR15 is like saying you prefer French scones to Dunkin Donuts. You can hand over your American citizenship anytime now and move to Canada. :confused:

But seriously, I think maybe you've just fired the wrong AR rifles. They are plenty accurate out to significant distances if configured properly. It's a very popular rifle platform for varmint hunting.

Sacrilege! Saying you don't like the AR15 is like saying you prefer French scones to Dunkin Donuts. You can hand over your American citizenship anytime now and move to Canada. :up:

But seriously, I think maybe you've just fired the wrong AR rifles. They are plenty accurate out to significant distances if configured properly. It's a very popular rifle platform for varmint hunting.

Preach Brother ! ! !

:confused:

I perfer the AR15. For me, Pistol grip rifles are more comfortable to shoot than traditional stock rifles. Maybe because the M16/AR15 is all I know other than shooting other guys bolt action hunting rifles at the range. The good thing about the AR15 is with the flat top, optics and heavy barrel options you can make your sight picture comfortable to where you want it.

The only other plinker I felt was insanely comfortable to shoot was this guy's PS90.

I prefer the AK over the AR. That said the AK is pretty much designed to be used out to a Maximum of 300 yards. Sounds like you are on the right track with the FAL. Out to 750 yards you are gonna be MOM(minute of man) or better. If you are truly looking for accuracy out to 1000 yards then you are going to need a bolt gun.

I guess for right now, I'm going to build her that fAL in .308 caliber..and then later on down the road, I guess I'll end up getting something chambered in 338 Lapua. (spelling?) as she progresses.

that and we may have to move somewhere that will allow a 1000 yard shoot.:up:

As for the fal, I reckon she'll end up with a leather cheek rest and some other goodies to make it more comfortable for her..but at the end of the day, you know how it goes...if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!

It might be helpful to know what her definition of long range shooting is. Personally, long range shooting starts between 500 and 600 yards...

And if you want absolute maximum range shooting, get a Barrett M99 chambered in .416 Barrett. Yummy.

yah..I know what you mean..I want to shoot one too..but I don't know of anywhere in Tn that has a range that will support it.

I keep telling Julie that there's 93 acres of land for sale up by her parents house in Ky. that we could buy, but she wants to live down here on the river, next to Mark@sea and his wife.:rolleyes:

As for the fal, I reckon she'll end up with a leather cheek rest and some other goodies to make it more comfortable for her..but at the end of the day, you know how it goes...if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!

You cant go wrong with a FAL.

I sold both of my "long" FALs and just got the call from DSA on Tuesday that my "mini SA58" is ready to ship :)

SA58OSWNFA.GIF

Whats not to love about full auto .308 out of an 11" barrel :rolleyes:

Perhaps I can suggest the Magpul PRS for her rifle.

We sell a bunch of these for ARs, and I was lucky enough to get one of the very first ones built for the FAL, and it is available for sale if someone is interested.

(We are friends with the MP guys)

prsfal_01.jpg

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_88_114&products_id=251

hey Joe,

Julie said she liked that stock! do you have one on a weapon so she could try it?

I dont have one installed on a FAL, but I have plenty installed on ARs (223 and 308) she could try out.

Or, you could bring your FAL down, and we could test fit it.