FN509 MRD-LE - Need some info

res308

I’m seriously considering switching my department over to the FN509 MRD-LE. 

We issued the Glock G23 for a very long time. A couple of years ago we switched to the Gen 5 G19, but the chief at the time did not get the optics ready models, which he later regretted.

Now I want to make some changes. If we don’t do anything else at all, I’m going to trade for some G45 MOS pistols to replace everything. 
BUT, we’ve been taking a hard look at the FN. 

And before I get the “BG” answers (But Glock….!), I know, I know, I know! I’ve been packing glocks on duty for over 25 years, I’m the department glock armorer, and I’ve owned a ton of them myself. But, I’ve always kind of hated them. However, that’s not the reason for looking at something else. Sure, glocks are pretty well known for their reliability. Accuracy? Well I won’t take the time to get into that. 
The question is - can we do better? 

So, to FN. I know some of the FN pistols had some problems (FNS maybe?). Does anyone have any information on specifically the FN509 MRD-LE in 9mm? I know LAPD chose this particular one, but I’m not a follower or a band wagon rider so I want to find out everything I can before making a final decision. 
I plan on taking a few weeks to do research so any useful information would be appreciated. 

As an owner of a 509T, I will say 3 things: 1. They're great guns, reliable, accurate, and have a nice feel in the hand. 2. IMO there's way too many parts internally that could fail, i.e. the rear sear assembly. For better reference please look up an exploded parts diagram. 3. Best multi optic system in a stock pistol. I tried multiple optics, and they all held zero.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, scatman said:

As an owner of a 509T, I will say 3 things: 1. They're great guns, reliable, accurate, and have a nice feel in the hand. 2. IMO there's way too many parts internally that could fail, i.e. the rear sear assembly. For better reference please look up an exploded parts diagram. 3. Best multi optic system in a stock pistol. I tried multiple optics, and they all held zero.

Thank you. That’s good information I need. 
The FN pistols do have a great feel, and I’d love for us to have something more accurate. 
The internal parts are what I’d worry about. I haven’t thought to look up an exploded parts diagram but I’ll do that when I get to the office today. 

I'm pretty happy with my 509. In 2019 there was a problem with 509's breaking strikers and they recommended on dry firing the pistols. Apex offered a replacement strengthened striker.

FN had updated the striker later that year and as far as I know they resolved that problem. Haven't encountered any issues with mine, suppressed or not. I did opt for the Apex striker because mine was made at the time it was a concern.

I have a number of Glocks. I have a 23C as a carry gun. I like them. The FN is an easier gun to shoot well IMO

Edited by Erich

My experience goes back to the FNS9. I found it to be one of the most shootable pistols out there. But I found out that they had a documented tendency to go off by themselves, so I decided to trade mine in for a Glock 45. I don't regret that decision. But I do sorta wish I had gone with the 509. Now that's strictly a civilian's POV.

When I took my HCP with the FNS, I shot the s@3$ out of the center of the target. A retiring KCSO Deputy went through the class with me, using his Glock 22 and... well, let's just say his group was a "bit" larger than mine. And the weekend before. he had put 1500 rounds through that pistol over a weekend department qualification (according to him).