Auto AR15s at Tennessee Law Enforcement Agencies

Defender

In light of the recent theft of AR-15s from the Smyrna PD, I was wondering which, if ny Tennessee LE agencies have full auto rifles, and if so, are they with officers or stored at stations?  I had read some time ago, that some agencies I’d have them, but seems like the article didn’t mention Tennessee.  Also wondering how the stolen rifles were store, that they got stolen. 

A bunch of game wardens had m16s that had been converted to semiauto. They issued them new rifles 4 or 5 years ago that didn't have a 3rd hole. I have no idea what they did with the old guns. I offered two of whatever gun they wanted for each m16 they would transfer to me. They said no. 😓

• Haha 1

Bartlett's SWAT Team officers have M-16s and MP5s. These are stored inside their Patrol cars, in a locked steel box bolted into the trunk. Further, the trunk lid will only open a couple of inches due to a steel cable with a padlock on it. So you have to go through 2 locks to access them. 

If I remember correctly, the weapons are removed and stored in the armory when the officers are not on duty. 

I should mention that our little town doesn't have a full time SWAT team. While they are highly trained, these officers work regular patrol duty until needed. 

Edited by Grayfox54
10 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

A bunch of game wardens had m16s that had been converted to semiauto. They issued them new rifles 4 or 5 years ago that didn't have a 3rd hole. I have no idea what they did with the old guns. I offered two of whatever gun they wanted for each m16 they would transfer to me. They said no. 😓

I seen photos of those wardens guns missing GI sears, I'd bet they still had FA lower parts kit..

also seen several listed PD guns (M16) sold in recent years, at transferable current pricing...

I'd offer 3...lol

I would assume now most patrol vehicles have a rifle rack. They lock but if can be unlocked if the switch box has constant power or a key override. I had a burst sub gun at my last department it stayed locked in a flat gun safe in my SUV. I haven't seen many vehicle safes or racks that couldn't be pried open by someone determined enough. Also, most vehicle's alarms don't activate with broken windows, I've literally watched numerous vehicle burglary videos where the suspect breaks the window with a rock or spark plug and climb in the window then hit unlock and the alarm never goes off. 

On 11/1/2023 at 11:38 AM, Grayfox54 said:

Bartlett's SWAT Team officers have M-16s and MP5s. These are stored inside their Patrol cars, in a locked steel box bolted into the trunk. Further, the trunk lid will only open a couple of inches due to a steel cable with a padlock on it. So you have to go through 2 locks to access them. 

If I remember correctly, the weapons are removed and stored in the armory when the officers are not on duty. 

I should mention that our little town doesn't have a full time SWAT team. While they are highly trained, these officers work regular patrol duty until needed. 

That's pretty cool I wouldn't have ever guessed Bartlett officers would have that equipment. Of course with Raleigh next door I can see why!

Loved that area we lived there in the late 90s through about 2010.