CCW Holster for full frame 1911

Guest Taurus1911

Guest Taurus1911

I am getting my permit and I want to carry my 1911. The draw back for me is that I wear tighter fitting clothes and I am not too excited about having to go baggy. The only thing that I can find that looks like it will work is the small of the back. I know that everyone is going to say that I have to change my clothes but I am looking to see if anyone has anything for me before I go that route. I would perfer to wear on the hip.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small of the back can be very dangerous. For example if you fall back on it your back is going to be f----- up. I know allot of people do this, but every dog has his day. I told a guy a few years ago about keeping his handcuff pouch in the small of his back. Sure enough a few weeks later he got into a scuffle and fell back and knocked his back out of place. He was on light duty for a few weeks. Just my two cents.

Besides the falling down and hurting your back, small of back is fine. Well that is unless you are driving or sitting in a chair, then you either have the choice of unholstering or leaving there. Makes it kind of hard to draw when you need it. When I first got my permit, I got a small of back holster because I thought it would be cool and a good fit, but after carrying it there for a few days I just didnt like it. I just found a good belt holster and wore my shirt out when I carried it or a jacket. Just my experience

Edited by Wrangler
spelling

You will most likely learn with trial and error what will and won't work for you. I would wager eventually you will go the route most of us have and change your attire to dress around your weapon. I carry IWB all the time and really like carrying that method, you do have to buy larger pants and your shirts will need to be baggy as well otherwise your weapon will print. JMO and I am sure you will, (like most of us) try diferent methods and holsters until you find what suits you best.

I recently purchased a full size 1911 myself and I plan to buy another kydex body for my MTAC to carry it IWB.

Guest SkyDog

This is how I carry my 1911. It's an M-TAC. Conceals very well. Notice that I have my shirt tucked in between the holster and me (in the bottom pic.) and the gun is barely noticeable. Tuck the shirt in on the outside of the pistol and it disappears completely.

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0416.jpg

Guest Grout

If you prefer to wear on the hip there are several OWB holster designs to choose from.Of course you will need a cover garment unless you plan to open carry.

Check out TT Gunleather. I use one of their IWBs and love it.

Now...I did have to go up a size in my pants to accommodate the holster. that, a underarmor t-shirt and a button up shirt and all is well.

I carry 1911s every day that way

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and have a 3 inch Ultra Kimber and a 5 inch stainless Kimber and they both fit in this rig and both are reasonably comfy,although the full size is a lot heavier.Whats nice about this rig the clips are spaced wide apart which seems to equal the weight better,I have the horsehide option for the humid weather here in the Mempho area.They are not very pretty:drool: but they work well.:biglol:

Personally, the only gun I can comfortably wear small of back is my smith air weight 38 SP. I can carry and sit, but I can not sit with any of my semi's. I have not found it feasible to try and carry my PT1911 IWB. I actually have a Blackhawk Serpa for it and carry it OWB with a shirt over it. But if I am going to the office I carry my XD Subcompact with a M-TAC, but I have had to start buying my pants with an extra 1-2 inches in the waist.