What happens when smokeless powder burns.

The most interesting part of that video was the well-stocked powder shelves in the "retail establishments"!  I did sob just a bit seeing so much powder burned that way. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Darrell said:

The most interesting part of that video was the well-stocked powder shelves in the "retail establishments"!  I did sob just a bit seeing so much powder burned that way. Thanks for sharing!

Old video I’m sure.

I’ve pulled bullets from someone else’s reloads and burned the powder. Pretty underwhelming. Many people are convinced it will explode. Black powder is a different story. A firecracker is a good indication of how it reacts to fire.

Edited by gregintenn

Does anybody know if the old metal cans that gunpowder came in years ago explode similar to a aerosol can or more similar to the current plastic bottles of current time.

1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

Does anybody know if the old metal cans that gunpowder came in years ago explode similar to an aerosol can or more similar to the current plastic bottles of current time.

Exceedingly dangerous! Send them to me and I will properly dispose of them for you…free of charge.😁

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

Does anybody know if the old metal cans that gunpowder came in years ago explode similar to a aerosol can

Do you remember the old, square metal cans with the pop-top caps? I'm sure the top would just pop off of one of those. Those with twist-on caps would rupture, but remember that an aerosol can [usually] has a flammable propellent inside.  I sorta kinda think that a metal can with a twist-on cap might survive a fire like that in the experiment. 

4 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

Does anybody know if the old metal cans that gunpowder came in years ago explode similar to a aerosol can or more similar to the current plastic bottles of current time.

I've got some of those downstairs. LOL

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Exceedingly dangerous! Send them to me and I will properly dispose of them for you…free of charge.😁

Sorry, I don't have any except for the plastic bottles.  I'm NOT that old.  LOL

11 hours ago, Darrell said:

Do you remember the old, square metal cans with the pop-top caps? I'm sure the top would just pop off of one of those. Those with twist-on caps would rupture, but remember that an aerosol can [usually] has a flammable propellent inside.  I sorta kinda think that a metal can with a twist-on cap might survive a fire like that in the experiment. 

I sorta kinda think the gunpowder is a "flammable propellent" as well.  LOL

I only remember seeing those rectangular shaped metal containers  with screw on lids similar to what acetone/paint thinner can still be seen in the hardware stores.  Those were the one's my ? was inquiring about.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

I sorta kinda think the gunpowder is a "flammable propellent" as well.

Boy, I stepped in it there, didn't I?

I think the lid would blow right off the can of AL-7 below, not so sure about the Unique can. That was actually a pretty good design, and as pressure inside the can goes up, the lid is held tighter.

Can you read the price tags on those cans? $2.75. 

IMG_0575.JPG

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

Boy, I stepped in it there, didn't I?

I think the lid would blow right off the can of AL-7 below, not so sure about the Unique can. That was actually a pretty good design, and as pressure inside the can goes up, the lid is held tighter.

Can you read the price tags on those cans? $2.75. 

IMG_0575.JPG

I've never seen those particular style of container before, I agree the AL7 lid should just pop off with pressure buildup.  The screw on lid on the Unique powder is the type I'm wondering about.  Price tags are visible and just a sign of the times unfortunately.  Ah, the good ole days.  I've got some "more recent" purchases with my hand written notes where a pound of Varget or Bmark were $27/lb. from back in the 2017-20 range.  LOL

That's actually not a screw-on lid. To remove it, you press on the center and the lid "pops" outward along the circumference and you just lift it off. To reinstall it, you push in around the circumference and it pops back on again. Pretty clever, really, but manufacturing costs have to be higher than a regular screw-on lid.

• Like 1