Wife's first gun.....suggestions?

brooksjr

planning on buying my wife a pistol that will eventually be used for carry. she has probably only fired 10 rounds or less in her life. we are going to go to a beginner type class before taking the hcp class. what caliber, type, and size of pistol would you suggest for her? i'm thinking a 9mm because it does have some "stopping" power but does not have a tremendous amount of recoil. earlier today a gun shop owner suggested a 22 because there is no recoil and therefore easier to be accurate with. i just don't think i would want to depend on a 22 to stop a thug that could possibly be on drugs/alcohol. any suggestions would be appreciated!!

just in case it matters, my wife is small framed and 5'4" 110lbs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, but don't start out a new shooter on a 9mm or any other centerfire round. Get or rent a .22 to teach the basics of handling, operation and safety. Then graduate to the big leagues for a possbile carry piece.

What you might not consider a great amount of recoil a gal that's only got 110 lbs could. If .22 is all she can handle, then so be it. It's better than nothing and that little round has taken plenty of people down.

Edited by Garufa
she will be learning with a 22 i'm asking what would be a good fit as far as a carry pistol

I see...Caliber is hard to recommend. They all work and work well.

May just want to start shopping around for what feels best in her hands. Then there is the matter that ammo for any caliber is just about impossible to get now, unless you are willing to pay premium prices.

My wife and I have ran down this road,she has fired almost every one of my handguns from 22-45,recently we started her shooting more with my kimber in .40,she didnt like the heaviness as she put it,we purchased a Charter Arms Pink Lady and she actually likes it,she wears a shooting glove on her right hand when we go to the range,but alternates bare hand also.She said she likes the charter better than my kimber,and she hits the target too.:)

brooks, sounds like you're dying for a suggestion - mine would be an M&P 9c

I'm planning to shop for an M&P 9C this weekend. I've read a lot of positive reviews on this particular Smith & Wesson.

Another option (well built, not too expensive, but not the easiest to find) might be a Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm or the Mini Firestorm 9mm (same pistol, made in Argentina, but roll stamped with different names).

Go to a gun shop with a big selection. Let her fondle any that strike her. If she shines to a few, see if you can get shooting samples. My wife LOVED a Kahr...until she shot it. Then her tune changed completely. Ultimately she settled on a Colt Det. Special for her carry piece. A little odd since they are out of production, but she liked everything about it, and shoots it very well.

Don't fuss too much over caliber. Any of the majors will do if she's accurate. Better not to make her a caliber queen too soon in the game!

Guest SigGrl

My first gun was a Sig 226 9mm. I've never really had a problem with 9mm (Buk is a really good teacher. He let me use snap caps first to really get used to the feel of the gun), and I really do like most Sigs in the P series. Maybe if you want something a little closer to a 9mm, you might get her to try something in .380. I know that the ammo is really hard to find now, but I really like the Sig 232 and the Bersa. I actually want to get a 232 for my carry pistol. I'm usuing a P6 right now.

I actually looked at a Walther 22 tonight for the first time and held it. It seemed like a pretty sweet little gun too!

My first gun was a Sig 226 9mm. I've never really had a problem with 9mm (Buk is a really good teacher. He let me use snap caps first to really get used to the feel of the gun), and I really do like most Sigs in the P series. Maybe if you want something a little closer to a 9mm, you might get her to try something in .380. I know that the ammo is really hard to find now, but I really like the Sig 232 and the Bersa. I actually want to get a 232 for my carry pistol. I'm usuing a P6 right now.

I actually looked at a Walther 22 tonight for the first time and held it. It seemed like a pretty sweet little gun too!

+1

My wife went to the range with me today,she can not shoot the p22 enough.I think it may be the first handgun that I will see melt.

She has a S&W 9 that she likes ok and shot my hk p30 9mm today and likes it even more.

I have a couple .380's on order and feel its safe to say she will name one.

the gun shop owner i mentioned actually suggested the p22. it is a great looking(never shot one) and maybe a good range gun but i'm still concerned about the stopping power. i was actually leaning toward the s&w m&p 9mm and my step dad(who i would consider a gun expert) suggests going with a .38 revolver. any way like i said it will ultimately be her decision if we can ever make it to the gun shops together.

thanks for your help

My wife had shot a S&W model 32 /22cal when we decided to get our carry permits.

The problem was she had trouble pulling the trigger double action and knowing she was going to have to fire around 75 times to qualify and practice, she didn't think she could. I ended up purchasing a Bersa 22 auto and she had no trouble qualifing since

double action was no longer a issue. After that finding a handgun she was comfortable to shoot and small enough to carry was next. She handled different

ones and she finally chose the Kel-Tec p32, It's light, can carry in her purse and

can rack the slide and shoot it confortably. It's best to let her decide because what

you like may not suit her.

my step dad(who i would consider a gun expert) suggests going with a .38 revolver.

While I second his opinion, she HAS to make the final decision as you said.

My wife ended up chosing a S&W 642 and is happy with HER decision.

It would be really good if she could rent/borrow the model she thinks she likes for a session at the range. While fit/feel is the first important thing, she's got to like the way it shoots otherwise it won't get shot.

While I second his opinion, she HAS to make the final decision as you said.

My wife ended up chosing a S&W 642 and is happy with HER decision.

It would be really good if she could rent/borrow the model she thinks she likes for a session at the range. While fit/feel is the first important thing, she's got to like the way it shoots otherwise it won't get shot.

On the other side of the spectrum, my girlfriend absolutely hated my 442...

On the other side of the spectrum, my girlfriend absolutely hated my 442...

Yea. There's a lot of women that have that reaction.

I probably should have added it took a set of Pachmayr Compac grips for my wife to be totally satisfied. Very cheap solution.

Yea. There's a lot of women that have that reaction.

I probably should have added it took a set of Pachmayr Compac grips for my wife to be totally satisfied. Very cheap solution.

She was fine w/ the Uncle Mike's grips I had on mine, but didn't like the trigger pull...it is a lot heavier than other guns out there.

planning on buying my wife a pistol that will eventually be used for carry. she has probably only fired 10 rounds or less in her life. we are going to go to a beginner type class before taking the hcp class. what caliber, type, and size of pistol would you suggest for her? i'm thinking a 9mm because it does have some "stopping" power but does not have a tremendous amount of recoil. earlier today a gun shop owner suggested a 22 because there is no recoil and therefore easier to be accurate with. i just don't think i would want to depend on a 22 to stop a thug that could possibly be on drugs/alcohol. any suggestions would be appreciated!!

just in case it matters, my wife is small framed and 5'4" 110lbs.

I would buy her a 9mm, She can handle it. Let her Shoot the Gun & get her use to it.

At First she may thank that it is to much, but just in a short while, She will be glad

that your choice was a 9mm & always use hearing protection.