Does buying from a shop mean my gun is now registered?

Good morning! I am a new member to the group as well as a new resident to Tennessee. I had a question about whether buying a gun at a retail store, I.E.Rural King, now means that my handgun is registered.

My understanding is that does NOT mean that it is registered, but I wanted to confirm with the experts here in this group. Thanks for allowing me to join and thanks in advance for your help.

Tn doesn’t have a registration law.The dealer you buy it from records it in a bound book.They keep the book/books as long as they are in business. If they go out of business or give up their FFL they turn the books over to the ATF who is supposed to destroy them.At least that’s what I heard.

• Like 1

As et45 said, technically/legally no.... but going back to Janet Reno they were keeping the books, making copies of books etc. in violation of law.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1

Having seen this question pop up before, I always feel like it's a loaded question. By the strictest interpretation there is no gun registration in TN, but the bound book could be considered a de facto registration since the ATF can demand to see it any time they want and to record the contents. There is even a well known video of an ATF agent making an unscheduled visit to photograph every page of a gun store's bound book. Add to that fact that I'd feel like a fool if I actually believed the ATF does not keep all the 4473 forms they receive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above Greg is correct,yes and no. Tn did away with Registration about 1995 and it was only if you wanted to do it. NY and other places still use it. Once on it will always be on unless you move/die and must then be removed,can be costly.    Once you buy a gun from a FFL dealer they must retain that record as long as they stay open and then it has to be sent to a U S  Gov.  warehouse forever.  If gun is used in a crime Feds go to say Ruger and Ruger sends info as to FFL that sold it,then they go to FFL and to person who purchased it.  If that person did not know the person it was sold to you may be a suspect. Once that gun is sold several times and not through a FFL then they may question fingerprint/Dna results if used in a major crime.   Now if you buy a gun say walking around a gun show with a cash transaction somebody could have put three slugs in a person two nights ago and you fire at or shoot a home invader and PD runs all slugs you are in possession of a murder weapon  or Grandpa finds his gun stolen after three years and files report you now have a stolen gun you owned a year or more,say a FFL goes to sell it it will come back to you. This is happening  often now a days than it did a few years ago. I have bought a couple guns in past from FFL shops and while waiting local gets alert swoops in and picks it up. One FFL asked me if I wanted my $10 background check money back and I said yes and if he had a problem I could have the PD come right back and have a talk about it.

• Like 1