Trigger

I bought a S&W 642 performance center. Finally got it out to shoot. Fired a few rounds and the trigger is about the worst I have ever seen. I did clean and oil it before hand. I know my grip is not as strong since I got sick. But this thing is unbelievable. I lubed it again and loaded it with snap caps. Been dry firing it some. I keep it by my chair and I’m trying to wear it in. Anything else I can do. Short of having a trigger job on it. Thanks for your input. 

There is a lightweight trigger rebound spring that can be installed that will lighten the pull noticeably.   Installing it is a job of moderate difficulty.  If you aren't comfortable removing the sideplate and removing/reinstalling parts, it's probably a job for someone who is.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ken_mays said:

There is a lightweight trigger rebound spring that can be installed that will lighten the pull noticeably.   Installing it is a job of moderate difficulty.  If you aren't comfortable removing the sideplate and removing/reinstalling parts, it's probably a job for someone who is.

Thanks. I have a friend who works on guno

This is the rebound spring kit I like to use.  It comes with several different weights so you can move up in weight if your particular gun needs it.   I generally start out in the middle of the range with a 13# spring and then see if I need to go heavier or lighter.  Usually that makes a dramatic difference over the factory spring.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-triggers-parts/sw-reduced-power-rebound-spring/

• Like 1

One thing you have to come to grips with is that S&W J-frames, with their coil springs, can't typically get the sort of triggers a well-tuned K, L or N frame can. Geometry, along with the spring type, makes it more challenging to get a smooth, light trigger, though Ken's suggestion will likely be a significant improvement.

Larry

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, larry1096 said:

One thing you have to come to grips with is that S&W J-frames, with their coil springs, can't typically get the sort of triggers a well-tuned K, L or N frame can. Geometry, along with the spring type, makes it more challenging to get a smooth, light trigger, though Ken's suggestion will likely be a significant improvement.

Larry

Thanks. I’m going to talk to my gun smith guy about it. It seems to have gotten a little better with dry firing it. It’s still not what I would like but I may not be able to get that. 

Ex has one as her backseat camping gun. She was able to hit a torso at 5 feet consistently. I was garbage at 5 yards. It’s a heavy pull. 

I bought a new Smith 37 Nickel  Airweight back in the 80's. The trigger was awful, but it was also doing this weird thing which I forget what it was. I sent it back, and not only did it come back to me with a super smooth trigger pull but they gave it a high polish also. Still have it.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:03 AM, Sleep profit said:

Friend of mine had a 642.  she could hardly pull trigger I measured it if was 13.6 pounds  we put in springs got it down to 6.8 pounds not great but definitely better 

That’s the way mine is. First time I tried to fire it I couldn’t pull the trigger. And this a custom shop job. With the trigger work done. I don’t have a trigger gauge but I bet it’s close to 14#

Needs a superstrong booger picker-

When I worked at the old Range USA in Memphis our head of classes installed a trigger kit for an older female acquaintance of his-

Same deal there also was an overly heavy trigger pull on a 642-

And these salesmen at these stores will always try selling an inexperienced older female a super duper 6 shooter-that takes a professional pistolero to shoot-

10 hours ago, krunchnik said:

Needs a superstrong booger picker-

When I worked at the old Range USA in Memphis our head of classes installed a trigger kit for an older female acquaintance of his-

Same deal there also was an overly heavy trigger pull on a 642-

And these salesmen at these stores will always try selling an inexperienced older female a super duper 6 shooter-that takes a professional pistolero to shoot-

I have been hearing other stories about this. I read the hipe about custom shop trigger and believed them. Anyway I talked to my gunsmith yesterday and he is going to put a light spring in it. And do some polishing on the internal parts. 

• Like 1