Caribbean sailing

Guest robert83

Guest robert83

Not sure if anyone on here sails but I am looking to sail the islands in the Caribbean but am not sure on all the crazy island laws about guns. When you enter ports you have to declare all the weapons you have on board. Handguns and rifles. I know some ports actually take your guns once your roll into port while others tape your gun safe to be sure you did not open it. Does anyone on here have exp. navigating the Caribbean islands with weapons.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no seaman :D but would NOT sail the Carib without some armament. Shotgun on the boat would be a must for me.

My stagename, Garufa, is actually the name of my good friend's boat that I lived on in the Bahamas for two weeks then sailed over to the US for Summer storage in Chesapeake Bay.

While I'm pretty much Gilligan on a sailboat, my friend, his father and uncle who own the boat do this twice a year and have come across some questionable characters. There are pirates in the Carib just like everywhere else.

You're dealing with international issues so just do some careful reseach. I honestly don't know how carefully they seach boats in other countries but they don't here. A sweet Remmy 870 Marine could easlily be placed under a floorboard or reported and stored depending on whatever Island you go to.

Needless to say, handguns most likely are out of the question.

Edited by Garufa
Guest robert83

I plan to purchase a ar or ak to go along with my side arm for international boat travel. But from what I understand if you do not declare your weapons when you arrive in port and they decide to search your boat and find guns you are going right to jail. I don't think i would stay in a port that asked me to give them my guns. Who knows what some of these island officials will do with the guns. If they wanted to they could use my guns to commit a crime.

Guest db99wj
Almost everybody I knew that sailed over there kept a flare pistol and a large stash of flares for "emergencies". These were permitted anywhere and quite effective deterrents.

Kinda gives a new meaning to "light em up":D

I have a friend that has done some sailing to different Caribbean ports/countries. He had the same advice about the flare gun with plenty of extra flares. He also pointed me to the following article. I have been trying to talk my wife into doing one of those bareboat charters for a week. So far she is content to just go on cruise ships.

Here's the link to the article.

How To Live Aboard A Boat #2, Clearing Customs

I looked into this a year or so ago ... (have a 36ft sailboat currently being neglected on the Chesapeake)

It's a very island-by-island specific thing, so lay down some general plans & then start researching each island's policies (not too hard to do, with some google-fu). Generally speaking - you already know the deal ... leave the guns with the port authorities or have them sealed for the duration of your visit covers 80% of the islands. From what I've heard - EBR's are very much frowned upon - personally, my plans would involve a pair of marine 870's with slugs/buckshot for long/close range. At rifle range it'd be hard to tell if that motor launch coming up on you fast is a pirate or a local fisherman looking to sell you a fresh dinner!

I have a friend that has done some sailing to different Caribbean ports/countries. He had the same advice about the flare gun with plenty of extra flares. He also pointed me to the following article. I have been trying to talk my wife into doing one of those bareboat charters for a week. So far she is content to just go on cruise ships.

Here's the link to the article.

How To Live Aboard A Boat #2, Clearing Customs

HeHe!

I somehow missed this thread but I'll chime in a little late anyway. My advice is to purchase a high quality steel 12 ga. flare gun. They are plentiful at Marine Consignment stores and there are even still some available new. I say Steel for the obvious reasons and the heavier the better. Then, the only thing you have to do is carry some Buck shot and slugs well packed out of sight away from the flare gun. This seams to work in just about all places. You still must disclose the Flare Gun but do not have to worry about disclosing a firearm. I had a friend who cruise for a while with a "Marine Shotty" (Stainless, short barrel) but it damn near got him arrested in South America. Still not sure how he got away but they did confiscate the gun. My guess is it was so nice the Customs Agent decided he wanted the gun more than he wanted to do the paperwork. From what I hear, It is a real pain in the arse to actually carry a weapon into many of the 3rd world exotic islands. I venture to say that an AR will really cause grief. Just my :)

Guest johnnyo

I would have my firearms on the sailboat, however when into port leave them locked on the boat. I know in Jamaica guns are illegal and i'm pretty sure most caribbean islands they are also.

Happy sailing

I would have my firearms on the sailboat, however when into port leave them locked on the boat. I know in Jamaica guns are illegal and i'm pretty sure most caribbean islands they are also.

Happy sailing

Bro, they can SEARCH your boat in most any port in the world.

Hell, I've been checked in a 14' open fishing boat for this and that by Florida Marine Patrol numerous times, and actually SEARCHED twice. (Long before HCP).

Once I was well past 7 mile limit, too, but that didn't faze them.

- OS

I cross land borders in South America fairly frequently. A supply of inexpensive AA MAG style lights and Walmart type leatherman tools go a long way towards generating good will. ALL border/custom guards are underpaid so an inexpensive "gift" is a treasure to them. Also, they may be dirty, uneducated oafs, but they expect the same respect you would give an ICE agent returning to the US. Calling them "Sir" costs you nothing and shows respect.

Cherokee Slim

Guest johnnyo

Your right OhShoot "they" can search your boat at port, when your docked at their port it's still their port their rules. That's why i said leave them locked, like in a safe. and don't tell them you have a safe onboard. Most searches usually last a few mintues and is generally a walk through, (looking mostly for drugs or illegals). BTW you gotta love the FMP, they are over cautious from what i've heard. They are pirates.

...BTW you gotta love the FMP, they are over cautious from what i've heard. They are pirates.

Yeah, they are all in confiscated fast cigar boats.

They're really hoping to make drug busts, but in the meantime they hassle the fishermen. All I've met were quite arrogant.

- OS