Asked to remove my weapon from Kroger!!!

Guest bemills86

Guest Bluemax

+ 1000 for your handling of the situation. The S/G was a moron and obviously had no clue of the law but because of the way you conducted yourself theres no way anyone can put a negative spin on permit holders.

GOOD EXAMPLE FOR EVERYONE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bemills86

I guess part of the credit should go to my girlfriend as well. Even though I knew that I was in my legal right she did tell me to shush and just avoid the situation all together. Had she not been there I may have defended my actions a little more, but I think either way I would have just did what he asked. I think also I would have probably asked him to call the police department to "enlighten" him. He was def wrong, and I knew it. I thought about talking to the store manager, but he was already helping us in an issue with our purchase, plus he seemed like a total jackass anyway. Also my GF made a good point that regardless if I was right or wrong the SG probably wouldnt have admited it. It may have hurt his man pride! hahahaha

Guest SUNTZU

Now go back to that Kroger and OC!

OC'ING IS THE DEVIL!!!

waterboy3.jpg

:D

Great job on keeping HCP holders in a positive light. I agree that you should bring this situation to the attention of Kroger's, the officer, especially if he is reprimanded, definitely won't.

Guest bemills86
Heck if Kroger posts, there's always Publix, Food Lion, Walmart etc.

But more businesses who posts is a bad thing :D

I wonder if that Kroger told the security guard to remove anyone with a gun, or if he personally decided to do it on his own and not acting on what Kroger had told him. Would be interesting to find out

Had Kroger told him to remove persons with handguns then they themselves would be in violation of the law by not having signs posted at the entrance. Boils down to the fact that if he is "upholding the law" then he should know the law!!!

I am glad it was not me, I definitely would have challanged him to call someone "on duty". No doubt I would have run mouth at him too. I would have also demanded to see the store manager.

Freaking idiots like him are why people in general dislike cops.

Kudos to you for remaining calm.

Now go back to that Kroger and OC!

To add after reading the entire thread. The guard did not say it was Krogers policy to be gun free, he told the OP it was illegal for him to be there on account of alcohol sales for off premise consumption. This Dick was flat out wrong in his actions. Glad it was not me, LOL I would have blown a gasket.

Yeah, the phrase "you Mary", would've been uttered at some point.

Guest bkelm18
Had Kroger told him to remove persons with handguns then they themselves would be in violation of the law by not having signs posted at the entrance. Boils down to the fact that if he is "upholding the law" then he should know the law!!!

I don't believe it's against the law to have people with weapons asked to leave even if the store doesn't have signs posted. The only things the signs do is make it legally enforceable. You still have to leave if asked to, otherwise it's trespassing. As for your case, the guy was definitely in the wrong because he was removing you under an outdated law, as well as flashing his "creds".

You should also send the same letter to Kroger. They will make sure its addressed. They are the employer of said security company, and they are the ones ultimatley responsible for their actions on Kroger property.

Leave Kroger out of it. Otherwise you might just find the place posted as well as all other Kroger stores.

Do not ever tell a business that you are well within your rights to carry a gun on their premises or send some damn letter to the owner of said business. They are well within their rights to tell you to piss off and then post.

The situation has been made aware to the department of which said security guard claims affiliance. I'm sure some action will be taken.

Guest canynracer

I would agree with you if you are debating an improper sign...

However, Kroger is in the south, if they wanted no handguns, it would be posted, same with WalMart...Kroger employs the security company, they are going to hear about it anyway, guaranteed...but they are going to hear the GUARDS side about how dude was flaunting hs gun around.

He SHOULD write a letter, just asking their policy. He doesnt even need to mention it at first, when he gets their policy, then explain the story.

This is not one of those situations where they will ban carry for an inquiry.

debating an improper sign, explaining that it is improper, will get the proper one posted...like I said, any other circumstance, I would agree.

Guest jos2f
Maybe you should have just pulled out your plastic and told him your liscened too by the state and you know the laws. Turned it around on him!

Or his badge!! Maybe those HCP Badges are good for more than saving your life, they can save your shopping experience!

I don't believe it's against the law to have people with weapons asked to leave even if the store doesn't have signs posted. The only things the signs do is make it legally enforceable. You still have to leave if asked to, otherwise it's trespassing. As for your case, the guy was definitely in the wrong because he was removing you under an outdated law, as well as flashing his "creds".

Correct.

Signs are there to inform everyone without having to personally inform every person who walks through the door. Signs or not - when a representative of a building's owner/operator asks you to leave (carrying or not) you have been PERSONALLY informed of their wishes and any sign is irrelevant to you, regardless of what it says - because the verbal personal request trumps it every time.

Someone said it earlier - *what* is said to you is what is important here... So if you are unsure of what they are asking you to do, by all means politely ask them to clarify exactly what they are requesting you to do.

This clarification is also beneficial if you feel someone was out of line, and will help you better explain your case if needed to the authorities, or the building owners, etc.

DCSO is indeed a law enforcement agency as we have a lot of officers who are commissioned to carry firearms. That being said, we do however have officers that are uninformed as to state carry permit laws as do many other agencys. I'm glad you wrote the letter and hope you get a desired responce as this may help us out with better education and training.

Was the security guard armed? If so, I would do as he asked and deal with it exactly as you did. A friend's daughter and her boyfriend didn't obey a crazy security guard fast enough and were both shot. They were right and he was wrong but they are still shot.

Glenn

Guest mustangdave

Ok...read through the 5 pages of posts here...as someone who is going to carry fire arm "legally"...I would think the LESS attention drawn to oneself the better. Am I wrong here? The way the OP handled the situation was great. All you guys that would've called the store security officer on his "judgement call"...right or wrong...IMHO are going to end up drawing way to much UNWANTED attention to yourself and to a situation that "could" get outa hand in hurry.

So put your "I know my rights" justification in your back pocket, quietly tell the guy "sorry to trouble you" ...and just leave...then pitch a bitch to his superiors. That'll more than likely fix the situation. Unless its all about being manly and "legally packin your piece"

I probably only know a handful of you guys on this forum personally...but the way some spout of on here leads me to think...we'd do ok in a gun fight...but we'll sure as hell need legal representation in court. Most of what is said on here is spot on, but please temper your zealousness

Guest kcnative

I think somewhere in between is how I would react. I'd have to do a bit of clowning and let him know what a dumbarse he is and that I would be contacting his employer...but would also comply with his request.

Guest db99wj

I would shoot him in the pinky toe.

Ok, I have thought about this and would have done nearly the same thing as the OP. If the security guy would have listened, I would have had a discussion, non threatening of course and non condescending. I keep a small binder in my Jeep (I think it is in my new one, need to check) that has handgun laws in it, mainly for traveling outside of Tennessee. If he was willing, I would have showed them to him. Of course this is if I had time to deal with it and he was willing. However, I am still leaning toward my first comment.:tough:

Guest bemills86

Ive checked in regards to deputies being P.O.S.T certified, and from what I understand they do not have arrest powers. The DCSO website states that the Metro Nashville Police arrest the criminals and that DSCO arrests the problems through programs in their detention facilities.

"As a law enforcement agency committed to public safety, we strive to be the leader in the field of corrections, service of civil process, and innovative community-based programs, emphasizing accountability, diversity, integrity, and professionalism."

excerpt from Nashville-sheriff.net

So as far as I understand things they mostly handle civil cases, detention, as well as prisoner transport.

My whole issue with contacting the department was because of this individuals action (flashing an ID card) which I knew was against policy.The same thing goes for police officers as well, they shouldnt go around flashing their credentials either. I myself am on the hire list for the DCSO, as well as actively applying to get into a law enforcement program.

It comes down to sheer professionalism on his behalf.