Asked to remove my weapon from Kroger!!!

Guest bemills86

Guest bemills86

So I went into the Kroger located at 5319 Mt. View Rd, and my shirt came above my weapon and exposed it and the security guard who works for Special Security LLC, told me I couldnt have my gun in the store. After that he follows me outside and flashes an ID card from the Davidson County Sheriffs Dept andtells me he is a deputy and he knows the law. Below is the email I sent to the Sheriff Darron Hall, and Im waiting on the owner of the security company to call me back.....

I am writing this email because of an event that took place on April 25, 2009. I was in a Kroger near my home in south Nashville buying tickets from the Ticketmaster located within. I am a Handgun Carry Permit holder. I was leaning on the counter and my shirt rose over my handgun which was in a holster tucked inside of my waistband. The security guard who was working in the store saw my weapon and proceeded to tell me that I needed to remove the handgun from the premises because "They sell alcohol here". Which is not against state and local laws because the alcohol is not consumed on premises given that it is a grocery store. Whenever I walked towards the door I told the security guard that he was wrong, he followed me and stopped me outside the front door and pulled his wallet out and flashed an ID card that said he was a deputy sheriff in Davidson county, and said "I know what I'm talking about I'm a deputy". I am pretty sure that it is against policy for this individual to flash his ID card and tell me that he is a deputy when he is in fact off duty, and working for another employer. This offended me, not only that he flashed a card at me telling me that he was a deputy, but not knowing the local laws in regards to what he was telling me. If you are going to act as a deputy, then at least know the law before you attempt to enforce it.

The security guards name is (for his privacy), and he is in the transportation division with the Sheriffs Dept. I m not writing this to have this individual reprimanded, I just believe he may need a training "booster shot", maybe to bring him up to date with current laws.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bemills86

You are right, this deputy should not have “flashed” his i.d. card and does not know the state law. I apologize for the encounter and I have forwarded this to our chief deputy for handling.

Karla R. Weikal

Director of Communications

Davidson County Sheriff's Office

You are right, this deputy should not have “flashed†his i.d. card and does not know the state law. I apologize for the encounter and I have forwarded this to our chief deputy for handling.

Karla R. Weikal

Director of Communications

Davidson County Sheriff's Office

Sounds like someone is going to get a spanking :screwy:

OH and by the way.....you handled it very well.......i don't think I would have been as nice.....I would have told him to call the REAL cops and see what they have to say.....

I probably would have, too.

Might have called them myself.

- OS

Guest bemills86

I wanted to be an a$$, but my girlfriend was with me and we were buying our tickets for memphis in may. Plus she told me to stop because my initial reaction was " dont have to"! then her reaction was "Stop it Brandon"! probably because she knew I would get loud with the guy. Plus if he would have tried to detain me or sprayed me with a chemical agent!!! That friggin security company would have taken new ownership!!! lol

Guest Bill Lumberg

Was most likely a jailer, not an actual deputy. While they have a few folks that do warrant service, theirs is not a law enforcement agency. If it's a posted location, a ccw'er shouldn't have been carrying there, but the security guard was clearly a bozo.

I wanted to be an a$$, but my girlfriend was with me and we were buying our tickets for memphis in may. Plus she told me to stop because my initial reaction was " dont have to"! then her reaction was "Stop it Brandon"! probably because she knew I would get loud with the guy. Plus if he would have tried to detain me or sprayed me with a chemical agent!!! That friggin security company would have taken new ownership!!! lol

You did the right thing....and represented HCP holders well also....:screwy:

Was most likely a jailer, not an actual deputy. While they have a few folks that do warrant service, theirs is not a law enforcement agency. If it's a posted location, a ccw'er shouldn't have been carrying there, but the security guard was clearly a bozo.

+1

That's why he's carrying a laminate in lieu of a badge. :screwy:

Guest sling

Heh. Last time i checked Davidson County Sheriff isnt even a law enforcement agency anymore. Just key turners.

Thank you for keeping your cool and keeping us as HCP in good light. :screwy:

You did the right thing by keeping cool and knowing the law yourself,It does us all a great service when a holder does the right thing,It does show the nay sayers that we are responsible,even when another entity of the law is not.Good job,and should Kroger have been posted if that is their standing,I think so.:up:

Guest Whiskers

A lot of cops do not know the law as well as they should. A very few of them violate constitutional rights, especially with "young punks" because they know they can get away with it 98% of the time. Don't get me wrong. Cops have a tough job, and they are constantly under scrutiny, but there are a few who will try to tell you the law, when they don't know it themselves.

Case in point, On several occasions I drove a private tour bus through Ohio where the speed limit at the time was 65 for cars and commercial vehicles... 55 for everything else (or was it non-commercial....I just don't remember!). I asked three different state troopers whether a private tour bus was considered a commercial vehicle.... I got three totally different answers, and two of them turned out to be dead wrong.

probably because she knew I would get loud with the guy. Plus if he would have tried to detain me or sprayed me with a chemical agent!!! That friggin security company would have taken new ownership!!! lol

You handled it the right way, but if you had gotten loud and started an altercation he would have been within his duties to remove you. It's better to walk away and call on-duty PD. If you start a fight/argument with the cops or even a security guard you're usually gonna be the one that loses.

Guest canynracer

You should also send the same letter to Kroger. They will make sure its addressed. They are the employer of said security company, and they are the ones ultimatley responsible for their actions on Kroger property.

Guest jos2f

Heck if Kroger posts, there's always Publix, Food Lion, Walmart etc.

But more businesses who posts is a bad thing :up:

I wonder if that Kroger told the security guard to remove anyone with a gun, or if he personally decided to do it on his own and not acting on what Kroger had told him. Would be interesting to find out

I am glad it was not me, I definitely would have challanged him to call someone "on duty". No doubt I would have run mouth at him too. I would have also demanded to see the store manager.

Freaking idiots like him are why people in general dislike cops.

Kudos to you for remaining calm.

Now go back to that Kroger and OC!

To add after reading the entire thread. The guard did not say it was Krogers policy to be gun free, he told the OP it was illegal for him to be there on account of alcohol sales for off premise consumption. This Dick was flat out wrong in his actions. Glad it was not me, LOL I would have blown a gasket.

Edited by Mike.357