• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to getting around to writing a little about what I learned about my bug out/BOB dry run at the Mountain Man March about a month ago now. So here it goes.

To start off, I was hung over. It wasn't something I planned for, but it did end up being quite the learning experience. Being hung over changes distance hiking, you start out already dehydrated so pretty much right off the bat you have to start taking in water. This affects things like having to stop and piss, and your on a limited water supply or are using purification tablets it all comes into play. My water supply was a 3qt bladder and a 1qt nalgene bottle. But if your using tablets that take up to four hours to purify your water, I would have wanted another nalgene bottle so I could have 2 water supplies getting ready at all times because you don't want to run out of water. That'll add more weight but I think it's necessary.

Things I've taken away: weight came in an issue, my pack is pretty nice(it's a Camelbak Talon) but when you wear it long enough every pack becomes uncomfortable. I had a 4D cell maglite as my back up light in my pack; it has been replaced with a 2AA maglight. I also had a change of clothes jeans and a tshirt. The jeans are gone, but my tshirt stays as it can pull multiple duties.

Things I've added: a boonie style hat to my bag, the suns sucks and most trees are cleared far away from major roads that there isn't shade. Since I wasn't worried about being jumped or anything, I brought my ipod. It was nice when there wasn't other people around and it helped as a little pick me up when the addrenaline has died and you need a little motivation. Although I'd like to replace that with a little FM/AM radio so news could be picked up in a disaster scenario. I added a blister kit to my FAK, I'm ashamed to say I didn't have one already. I usually don't use sunscreen so I didn't have any, but if I had been out there much longer or had more then a day's worth of walking I would have wanted a little bottle(at least enough to keep the neck good).

Things that I noticed from others: shoe/boot inserts are very usefull, I haven't gotten any yet but I'm planning on it when I get some new boots. And if you are going to be wearing shoes that aren't exactly made for this sort of thing, it'll be much easier on your feet if you have some inserts in the pack. The other thing a lot of the army guys were using was Body Glide. They suggested two main spots, the inside of the elbows and the balls area, or anything that will rub together that you don't really want to. I don't get chaffed too bad, but I tried it anyways it helped a little but not too much; but the guys that chafe a lot love the stuff. Instead of all power bars, some people had the goo packs power bar makes; I didn't try any so I don't know if they're any different but I thought I'd mention it. I was surprised at the amount of people not wearing sun glasses, I was very happy I had mine and wouldn't have traded them for anything.

All in all, it was interesting. And now that it has been a month I can say I enjoyed it. But it was the longest 26.2 miles in my life. If you're a drinker I'd say you should try doing one hungover at least once so you see how it changes. If I think of anything else, which I know I will since it's been over a month since it happened I'll add it.

And here is one of the mile markers near the end that summed it up pretty well:

signoftruth.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Swiss Army "SwissGear" huge pack at Sam's last week:

0004729791461_L4.jpg

Seriously nice...has built in frame, waist strap, various tie on outside straps, foiled hydration compartment, etc.

Pretty sure I paid $50, but looks like can already be had for $40!

Sam's Club - SwissGear Elite Series XL Hiking Back Pack

It'll hold beau coup, but I'm too old to carry it far, fully loaded!

I'll have to find a strapping young bug out kid! :hat:

They also had some 0 degree Swiss Army mummy sleeping bags for about $30 best I remember...

- OS

Some good info there. I'm embarrassed but I don't have a blister kit either. I should know better but I never though about it.

I've used super glue in the past for cuts and blisters. Works like a charm for both. Stings a little on cuts sometimes, but holds a gash together better than a butterfly... and it's waterproof!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Risky Ruger

I looked up survival bags on Youtube and there is tons of information on there. I can't remember the name of the bag on the video I watched but it was very useful.

Guest 22-rimfire

I have not acquired a suitable back pack for a survival situation. I confine my hiking to day trips and as a result, small packs work well. The Swiss Gear bag above may be a good addition from a cost perspective since I'm likely never to use it. But, you just never know...

My plan has always been to stay put and the only thing that would cause me to leave is my house being destroyed or a radiation leak from one of the nuclear plants. So my bug out approach has been to use large plastic Rubbermaid tubs that are weather proof and I can stack in a van or trailer in the event you need to leave home.

I may need to make a trip to Sams. Need some stuff anyway and I'll look for the pack.

Edited by 22-rimfire
I have not acquired a suitable back pack for a survival situation. I confine my hiking to day trips and as a result, small packs work well. The Swiss Gear bag above may be a good addition from a cost perspective since I'm likely never to use it. But, you just never know...

My plan has always been to stay put and the only thing that would cause me to leave is my being destroyed or a radiation leak from one of the nuclear plants. So my bug out approach has been to use large plastic Rubbermaid tubs that are weather proof and I can stack in a van or trailer in the event you need to leave home.

I may need to make a trip to Sams. Need some stuff anyway and I'll look for the pack.

The rubbermaid containers are a great idea. I'm working on getting a large container set up for the essentials so if I have some time I can load up and get out. The bug-out bags are ready to go though. Now with the loaded long-gun law my Henry .22 survival rifle is loaded up and a new addition to the bag.

Guest 22-rimfire

I have a van. I figure I could carry at least 10 large rubbermaid tubs alone without much difficulty. Have a trailer too which can be used for stuff and would probably haul my kayak on it as well. I use the tubs for lots of things, so I have a fairly large inventory of the big ones. It is one of those things (like 22 shells) that I tend to buy one or two fairly often at Lowes or Home Depot. You can put a lot of food in them. Packing clothes and camping gear is a breeze. I have one assembled that contains "survival" stuff. But if I had to bug out and had some advance warning, I could assemble quite a lot of stuff from inside the house that you would never take in a backpack. Large tarps (>8x10) just don't work well in packs unless you are using them for a shelter.

I would envision my most likely survival scenario being similar to "car camping".

• 2 months later...
Guest jjerik1202

i just recently got a blackhawk titan, which is F***in huge a little bigger than i expected actually, when i read the description (2000 cubic inches) i thought how big could that possibly be. ok ok so im an idiot and forgot that most harley engines arent that big lol. but its nice and roomy i have alot of things in it bout 400rds 5.56, 150 9mm, a med kit 4 m4 mags 3 g19 mags a buck knive multy tool, and several other goodies and there is still room. carrying it long distances is another issue.......

after doing a bit of research and reading different reviews on the products, Ive found that the 5.11 Rush 24 and 72 backpacks are pretty good stuff, at least for what I need.

The Rush 24 looks like it would work good for my vehicle bag. The Rush 72 looks to be perfect for a bug out bag.

But before I purchase, Im going to hold out for the Hero-Gear bags that are supposed to be coming out, and see how they look.

Guest Bambam_5754

Ok...if you're gonna have a serious OH **** bag, you're kidding yourself if you get anything less than a military-style 3 day assault pack.....basically this is an overgrown backpack that has a padded waist strap and sternum strap that provide support and allow you to keep the bag on you no matter what. If you are bugging out, that means you need to get GONE. Getting gone means getting off of streets which means eventually your vehicle is not going to do you any good. as for vehicle bags....I have a lockable tool box for hardware, and I keep soft items in an suv cargo net

• 2 weeks later...

I have kept a survival bag for the better part of 20 years. It has been used many times, and every where i go it goes too. I have changed bags and the stuff in it so many times. How ever if you just wanting a good bag with out spending alot, I have picked up surplus backpacks at goodwill for around 5 bucks. If your a yard sale person, you find em around with out haveing to spend alot. And remember It aint always about what ya have in your bag, but rather what ya have in yer head.