Any XBOX 360 Techies Out There?

My sons XBOX has died. It does not read any disks:CDs, DVDs, or games. I was able to disassemble it and test the drive. It makes a nice grinding sound when a it attempts to read a disk. SOunds like the lasar drive motor has seen its last day.

I have found a replacement drive online, but it requires a "flashing". I am assuming that means loading firmware to the drive? Does anyone have a SATA cable(s) and the knowledge to do this?

I know its a long shot, but I know one of you might have the resources or a techie friend that might be able to assist.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Damn, you sound pretty technical as it is, I have no idea what you just did/said :lol:

I would have just sent it back to Microsoft, have you had it long? I heard when the 360 first came out a lot of them were crashing, but figured they have fixed whatever problem that was. Good luck, hope you get it going again. I know how much chirrin' love their video games...

Damn, you sound pretty technical as it is, I have no idea what you just did/said :lol:

I would have just sent it back to Microsoft, have you had it long? I heard when the 360 first came out a lot of them were crashing, but figured they have fixed whatever problem that was. Good luck, hope you get it going again. I know how much chirrin' love their video games...

I learned quick when I watched a few Youtube videos and did a few google searches. Hell, I didn't know where to start. All the smart sounding stuff was found on the web. I didn't know any of it before I started tinkering.

Guest illumina

I have actually done many a 360 flashes in my day. There are several different drives for the 360 though, and my knowledge really depends on which drive you have.

The process goes like this: Each 360 has a Motherboard and DVD drive "pair." The DVD drive has a key imbedded into the firmware which has to match what the motherboard has, or it will not work. When you buy your replacement drive, you have to extract the "key" from your current non-working drive, and then flash the key onto the firmware of the new drive so it matches the motherboard. From my understanding, it does not have to be the same type of dvd drive, as you can "spoof" the new drive to look like your old drive.

As far as equipment, all of my equipment is at my parents house in Knoxville, and I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a few years(my 360 is a launch 360). If you want, I will try my best to answer any questions I can. Your best bet is probably to send it back to Microsoft, like Jhatmaker said. However, depending on the timeframe you need it back by, and your location, I'd be willing to take a gander at it.

Any and all help is appreciated. I want to keep the repair costs as low as possible.

I just watched a video where I could buy the exact replacement drive and simply install my DVD drive chip board and it should run. Now this video was produced by some kid in the vicinity of 16-18 years old, based on the cracking voice. Now I'm not sure if this knowledge is very reliable.

Guest illumina

Ah, I really don't have any experience with the BenQ's, only the hitachis and toshiba-samsungs. From a quick google search, it doesn't seem too hard, but you do need a SATA chip like you mentioned earlier. Some motherboards on computers have these built in, but the 360 drives can be picky. My SATA chipset didn't work, so I had to buy something generic like SATA Serial ATA PCI Card -VIA VT6421A 6421 + One CABLE - eBay (item 260295786291 end time Jun-01-09 22:37:00 PDT) (note: not my auction and am not affliated with that person at all). Also, if you can find a benQ replacement drive with the same firmware version as yours(it should say on the outside of the drive), then it makes it even easier.

As for an even cheaper route, how far are you from Knoxville? Right now, I'm tied up with finals and then going to Miami for a week, but I'll be in Knoxville with the necessary equipment around Memorial day weekend and random times after that. Although, gas would probably be more expensive than that cheapo SATA card.

when you turn it on does it glow green or red? this will be on the front around the power button. if its red you are all good. call up Microsoft they will give you a rma send you a box and you can send it back for repair. they extended the warranty to something like three years i believe.

Guest XclntONE

yeah, first thing to do with a 360, if you aren't interested in hacking it, is to check the ring of light. it acts as a diagnostic readout in times of failure and if if you had the infamous red ring of death, microsoft will replace it. however now that you have cracked it open that may be difficult to get them to do.

No red ring when it powers up. It lights up normally with the green segments. On another note, I found a plastic "foreign object" lodged in the DVD drive when I took it apart. I can thank 2 year old for inserting this object. I am assuming it burned up one of the optical drive motors. :wall:

when you turn it on does it glow green or red? this will be on the front around the power button. if its red you are all good. call up Microsoft they will give you a rma send you a box and you can send it back for repair. they extended the warranty to something like three years i believe.

Yes, Microsoft DID extend the warranty to 3 years on the Xbox 360. My son's 360 died about 3 weeks ago. He got on Microsoft, entered serial #, received a return authorization from Microsoft, gave 360 to me w/RA shipping label for UPS (he's 6' tall, but not quite 14 years old :wall: ), I sent it to Microsoft, and it was returned to us [repaired] in 7 business days. ;)

Good luck with your 360. :)

Guest m14man
Yes, Microsoft DID extend the warranty to 3 years on the Xbox 360. My son's 360 died about 3 weeks ago. He got on Microsoft, entered serial #, received a return authorization from Microsoft, gave 360 to me w/RA shipping label for UPS (he's 6' tall, but not quite 14 years old :rolleyes: ), I sent it to Microsoft, and it was returned to us [repaired] in 7 business days. :up:

Good luck with your 360. :up:

same here.

I don't have the time to dedicate to getting this repaired locally with work be so crazy. I have opted to just send the thing back to Microsoft and be done with it. Its out of the warranty, so it doesnt matter that I cracked open the console. Hopefully my son will be rocking some guitar hero within 2 weeks. :koolaid:

I don't have the time to dedicate to getting this repaired locally with work be so crazy. I have opted to just send the thing back to Microsoft and be done with it. Its out of the warranty, so it doesnt matter that I cracked open the console. Hopefully my son will be rocking some guitar hero within 2 weeks. :screwy:

I just did this myself, you do not need to flash **** unless you are wanting to play burned games. All you have to do is buy the IDENTICAL drive, there is an electronic circuit board that you need to replace. The PC board contains the instructions for your drive to work. It has to be the same DVD drive it to work.

I just did this myself, you do not need to flash **** unless you are wanting to play burned games. All you have to do is buy the IDENTICAL drive, there is an electronic circuit board that you need to replace. The PC board contains the instructions for your drive to work. It has to be the same DVD drive it to work.

I took the simple route....boxed it up and UPS'd it back to Microsoft this morning. :screwy: It would have been nice to have it fixed locally or do it myself, but my job is demanding alot of me lately.Atleast when MS fixes it, it will be done right. Atleast I hope it will be.

Guest m14man
I took the simple route....boxed it up and UPS'd it back to Microsoft this morning. :hiding: It would have been nice to have it fixed locally or do it myself, but my job is demanding alot of me lately.Atleast when MS fixes it, it will be done right. Atleast I hope it will be.

you wont even get the same xbox back they send you a refurbed one that has already been repaired

you wont even get the same xbox back they send you a refurbed one that has already been repaired

Oh really? I hope they didnt want the power cables or the hard drive. I sent just the console, nothing more.

Guest m14man
Oh really? I hope they didnt want the power cables or the hard drive. I sent just the console, nothing more.

that's the way they told me to send mine. That way you keep your profiles and they can just send you the first one they fix