Its on the way!!

Guest Len

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Len, I couldn't let you have all of the fun to yourself. I'll be receiving a CDP Pro II sometime later this week. It's a one owner, under 300 rounds put through it, mint condition. Quite possibly a deal too good to pass up.

This should fill the hole in my heart that was left when I sold the Kimber Tactical Pro II to the nice fella who might be toting it around in a hot, dusty, hostile foreign environment right now. :)

I use Wilson Combat mags for all my 1911s. I'd stay away from mags with the metal split followers on any alloy frame 1911..it can nick the frame.

I think the CDP is one of the best 1911s for carry out there.

"If you can't beat 'em...."

Len, I couldn't let you have all of the fun to yourself. I'll be receiving a CDP Pro II sometime later this week. It's a one owner, under 300 rounds put through it, mint condition. Quite possibly a deal too good to pass up.

This should fill the hole in my heart that was left when I sold the Kimber Tactical Pro II to the nice fella who might be toting it around in a hot, dusty, hostile foreign environment right now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, the wait is OVER!

I went to G&L today with a couple of friends to pick up items we won/were high bidder on at the FNRA dinner on Saturday. I got myself a Sig Mosquito .22lr at a nice price, and its an NRA special edition. Finally own a plinker!

While I was there I asked if the Kimber was in yet. Dude comes back after a minute and says "try to hold in your excitement" and plops the tupperwear in front of me. Dang, its nice!!! Could not shoot it since my friend who drove had to head back, but I can't wait till the weekend when I have some time. Pics coming soon -the camera's batteries are charging as I type this.

Today was a good day. Two guns, and only one background check fee.:up:

Thanks again to Dennis Williams and the guys at Guns & Leather for their support of the Friends of NRA and their excellent service.

While there I saw a special commemorative Iwo Jima Commemorative M1 with special display box and sling. Brand new, limited edition. Suh-weet!!! $1500.00. If its still there when I get paid on Friday, its mine.

Congrats on the Kimber.... you will like it. :up:

Did you see any in 7.62 flavor? ;)

Last time I was @ Hero-Gear, they had a DPMS LR-308 (guess what caliber? <g>) with a magpul PRS stock and 180 rounds through it (Yeah... a guy traded it in when I was there... and I've been looking at an LR-308B... so my interest was piqued.

Just a FYI

**BRENT**

Guest BigBoostDSM

Len, That looks like a real sharp gun. Usually I only like seeing 2 different colors on a pistol but that gun pulls off 3 pretty well. The wood hand grip looks nice.

Have you shot your Sig Mosquito yet? I've heard they have a problem with FTF/FTE's but I've been looking at one of them over the P22. I just wanted to hear some first hand experience from someone. I'm jealous though, 2 guns in a day! If I can get 2 guns in a year I'm happy ;)

I agree with you on the color issue, and that the Kimber manages to pull it off without being too showy.

Have not shot the Mosquito yet, but hope to this weekend -along with the Kimber. Will post full reports when I do.

(I've heard the same about the Mosquito)

Len, That looks like a real sharp gun. Usually I only like seeing 2 different colors on a pistol but that gun pulls off 3 pretty well. The wood hand grip looks nice.

Have you shot your Sig Mosquito yet? I've heard they have a problem with FTF/FTE's but I've been looking at one of them over the P22. I just wanted to hear some first hand experience from someone. I'm jealous though, 2 guns in a day! If I can get 2 guns in a year I'm happy :confused:

While there I saw a special commemorative Iwo Jima Commemorative M1 with special display box and sling. Brand new, limited edition. Suh-weet!!! $1500.00. If its still there when I get paid on Friday, its mine.

I went to Guns & Leather today and seen that M1 and it was nice, so it was there as of 12:30 on Fri. Are you going to get it?

Looks like I'm going to have to pass. I decided to get the big-screen hi-def TV this weekend instead. I don't think I can swing both the M-1 and the TV in the same paycheck. I have this nasty eating habit and have gotten fond of the electricity and water too...

If you get it, at least I know its going to a good home.

I went to Guns & Leather today and seen that M1 and it was nice, so it was there as of 12:30 on Fri. Are you going to get it?

...and I only spent $5.00 while I was there (a bore brush and some patches).

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's my brief report on the Kimber Pro CDP II.

Overview: The Pro CDP II is a Commander-size 1911-style in .45ACP. 4" brl, 7 round magazine. Meprolight adjustable sights come standard, along with cocobolo wood grips, ambidextrous thumb safety as well as an extended beaver-tail with grip safety.

Prep: Before heading to the range, I field-stripped the pistol, cleaned and lubed per Kimber's directions. (They suggest a 400-500 rd break in with cleaning every 100-150 rounds, and a full clean/lube before firing the first shot.) I also read the MOA, etc.

At the range: I brought my new Sig Mosquito in .22lr along for this trip as well. Side by side one can see clear differences in quality of workmanship and materials that favor the Kimber. I fired the .22 first, about 50 rounds to get the feel of the lowest-recoil handgun I have ever fired. It was almost like dry-firing...

Anyway, I then switched to the Kimber. I fired some single shots, double-taps, a couple of mags real slow and deliberate, and a couple as fast as I could. The bullet holes were more or less where I wanted them to be -highly accurate right out of the box. At 7 yards I was getting consistent center-of-head and inside-the-10-ring hits. I'm not the best shot out there, and I have VERY LITTLE 1911 experience, so I was quite happy. Recoil was obviously more than my usual Glock 19 in 9mm, but the pistol tended to return to a natural position after each shot was fired, so I was able to reacquire the proper sight picture quickly -more quickly than I thought I would be able to this early on. Recoil was manageable, although the wood grips tend to bite a little -they are a little sharp against the skin.

Positives:

1) Prettiest gun at the range this day easily.

2) Excellent out of the box accuracy.

3) Less recoil than feared by this .45ACP newbie.

4) Nice balance, good hand-to-pistol fit and grip.

5) Heavier than my Glock. This is actually an advantage to me as it helps with the recoil.

6) I now own a 1911,which according to some, greatly increases my chances of getting into heaven.

Negatives:

1) Aforementioned grip bite. I imagine this will get better as I get used to the grip and wear down the sharp edges with more use.

2) I had several failures to return to battery. This was usually after the first shot from the magazine. (I only have the one factory magazine, I have ordered more.) A slight tap on the back of the slide returned the pistol to battery and I was able to continue. This is of some concern to me. I have several theories, and would like input from those more wiser than I.

a) all part of the natural 1911 break-in period. Will go away with time.

B) cheap, crappy no-name ammo -cheapest I could find at the range.

c) lubrication issue. I'm used to the Glock -3 drops in 3 specific places and not a molecule more. The Kimber manual might has well have said "take pistol and dunk in bucket of gun oil." Lots of lube needed in these 1911s, maybe I was too stingy?

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Very nice pistol. :confused:

• Administrator

Regarding failure to return to battery...

I'd switch to using a good magazine, like Wilson Combat #47D mags (8 rd, stainless) and see if that corrects the issue. The follower on the factory mag may be a little out of spec.

1911s usually don't mind if you noodle-wrist them but also try to make a concerted effort to lock your wrists tightly. Moreso than you might with the 9mm Glock. As you've seen, the .45ACP isn't a recoil monster. I always describe the 45's recoil as being more of a push than a pop.

Lubrication may have been an issue, but I honestly don't ever lube my 1911s to the extreme that some folks claim they need to be. No more than I lube my polymer guns, in fact. I think that particular bit of folklore comes from the age when so many 1911 enthusiasts were sending their guns off to be "micronized" or "accurized". The tolerances then became so tight that you couldn't squeeze a fart between the frame rails and slide.

The Kimber has tight tolerances, but not that tight. It's still designed to be a fighting pistol and those don't always get the luxury of C3PO hot oil baths. ;)

Congrats again on a fine weapon! Your chances of entering the pearly gates have definitely increased exponentially now that you own one of St. Browning's offspring.

Guest Verbal Kint

I can't attest to this in personal experience, not owning a Kimber yet, but from what I've read on several Kimber and 1911 message forums you are experiencing the normal break-in. Evidently Kimber machines their guns with such a tight fit (a good thing, IMO) that it is perfectly normal to experience FTF and FTE a few times during the 400-500 round period. Might be the same situation regarding the FTR.

Kinda sucks, or annoying, while you're breaking it in but everyone I've read about voiced that this is normal and goes away once the pistol has been put through it's paces... never to experience these problems again. Guess it just takes time for the pistol to smooth out.

To put your mind at ease, you can take a look over on the Kimber subforums on http://forums.1911forum.com/ . You'll be able to see what I'm referring to above.

Good luck with the Kimber, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I plan to add a Custom Gold Combat RL II to my armory, right after I finish my AR build. ;)

a) all part of the natural 1911 break-in period. Will go away with time.

;) cheap, crappy no-name ammo -cheapest I could find at the range.

I would guess those are your problems.

I would guess that after you get it home and give it a good cleaning and lube; you will probably see better results next time.

My Kimber would handle WWB just fine and that’s pretty cheap. It needs a minor break in, but it is after all a Kimber. If you put a couple hundred more rounds through it and are still having problems I would send it back to Kimber and let them give it some special attention.

And yes… if there is a back up at the pearly gates 1911 shooters get to slip past the Tupperware shooters.

Thanks all! Your input is greatly appreciated.

Tungsten: Wilson combats en route as I type this. I noticed that there were no issues when the mag was half-full or less, so I'm hoping you're right. The follower looks totally screwy to me, but I'm ignorant about 1911 mags. I'll try to post a pic to show what I mean.

Verbal Kint: You have good taste! Thanks for the forum link and post some pics of your AR when you are done. This is an upcoming project for me as well and I'm in the idea-gathering stage right now. Every time I think I know exactly what I want, I read or see something that changes my mind...