Prohibited Locations Database... IN PROGRESS!

• Administrator

I'm excited. I just found a new product for the vBulletin forum software that may let us move forward with a prohibited carry locations database very soon. :drool:

Edit...

You can see the work in progress here. Please realize it is just that; a work in progress. Members should not be able to add or edit any data or replies at this point and I respectfully ask that our moderating team refrain from doing so as well until further notice is given.

Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Well I offered to build it for you but you never sent me the info !!

I appreciate the offer and did then as well. Something else came up in the meantime which would have made engaging in that project at the time pointless. But thanks for making it sound like I haven't been trying to get this put together. :drool:

Guest dpeneguy
I appreciate the offer and did then as well. Something else came up in the meantime which would have made engaging in that project at the time pointless. But thanks for making it sound like I haven't been trying to get this put together. :drool:

Haha I was not trying to make it sound like that but I guess it did Sorry :D

But the offer still stands if the other thing doesn't pan out for you

Guest GlocKingTN
Anyone know what happened to packing.org?

It was a good site for legal info.

I heard that Packing.org was accurate on most things, and not so accurate on other things. Notice the "heard" part!

Guest Phantom6
Anyone know what happened to packing.org?

It was a good site for legal info.

Packing.org has been a site in decline for quite some time now. I have been watching the key metrics for the site and it has been on a slippery slope for well over a year. For some time I used them as a positive marketing and large site construction model.

Odly enough, traffic information for packing.org shows that over 8% of their visitors came from of all places, Guatemala (future illegal alians searching out U.S. gun laws?).

I believe that Mark Soloman, the packing.org site owner had determined that some of his other sites such as p8ball.com, autowarrantyandmore.com and others were politically less sensitive and more commercially viable though neither of these nor others he owns have traffic figures measuring anywhere near what packing.org has or HAD at one point.

I saw the following on a California CCW site. The poster (jonm) claims to be a former administrator for Packing.org:

August 9, 2006 09:52:52

Subject: The sad state of Packing.Org

I am embarrassed to say that I am (was) the California admin for Packing.Org. The site is currently down (a frequent problem), but when I was able to update things, I always did. When questions were posed to me I always responded. When help was asked for, I did my best to provide it. I kept things as current as I was able to. There are several posters here on CaliforniaCCW who know me from PDO, and they can vouch for my commitment to the cause. The site owner, Mark Solomon, decided to take the site another direction by eliminating the ability to moderate it. When he did that, he also took away respective state admin’s ability to easily modify it.

There were around 35 committed people acting as state admins at PDO (some maintaining more than one state). After Mr. Solomon made his changes to the format, and as well as his changes in attitude about the site itself, the site went to hell in a hand basket.

If there are any members here who can remember what PDO was prior to August of 2005, you will remember what a stellar site it was. It was the best CCW site on the Internet, hands down. Content was on topic and chat was limited to relevant topics. Now it is a name calling, cop bashing, assault weapon chat room, filled with vulgarities. And that's only when the server is up.

Calls to Mr. Solomon (both by phone and by email) go without response. The majority of my fellow state admins have abandoned the site because they don't want to be associated with it any longer. I can now be counted in that group.

I have since submitted an unanswered email to Mr. Solomon requesting that my name be removed from the California page.

I want to warn everyone here NOT to rely on anything on PDO!

If you want to know anything about another state's policies, and you want it form a reliable source, be sure to visit

http://handgunlaw.us

That site is maintained by, among others, a guy whom I admire greatly for his honesty and integrity, Gary Slider. Gary, I'm glad to say, has joined this site. Although he is not a California resident, he has a wealth of knowledge that I know he would be willing to share.

9293feeb0183c67ea1ea8c52f0dbaf8c.gif Stay safe, please 9293feeb0183c67ea1ea8c52f0dbaf8c.gif

Guest Boomhower

That's been brought up here before, but the last modified date was Monday, June 21, 2004. It would be a good list to start with though, just to update all these places to their current status. I'm sure quite a bit has changed over the last 3 yrs.

Guest dotsun

I hope there's a column in the database software for whether a place listed is posted as required by law or not. For instance, in the list posted by Clownsdd Methodist Medical Center is listed, but if you've ever been there and know the state law, it's clearly not posted correctly.

• Administrator
That's been brought up here before, but the last modified date was Monday, June 21, 2004. It would be a good list to start with though, just to update all these places to their current status. I'm sure quite a bit has changed over the last 3 yrs.

That data is so old that I'm afraid to incorporate any of it into our system once we're up and running. I would rather we start out one database entry at a time with fresh current information. :stir:

I hope there's a column in the database software for whether a place listed is posted as required by law or not.

Yes, I'll be including that field in the database!

Guest Boomhower
That data is so old that I'm afraid to incorporate any of it into our system once we're up and running. I would rather we start out one database entry at a time with fresh current information. :stir:

Well, maybe it will give some of us a good starting place of places to look out for when we go, or maybe swing by just to check.

Guest Phantom6

Yup. I just clicked on a few links and they were dead. Start from scratch is better IMO

Here is one to add.

The Gun Show at the Expo Center on Merchants Rd. In knoxville. Cops at the door to check your gun. you can carry it but it cannot be loaded and I believe they zip tie it as well. They gave me the creeps and I did not carry today anyway so I just got away from them.