Best values on the market?

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

Now I know I can get a nice Garand for roughly half of what a new one would cost, or that a $65 Mosin will double in value as soon as I get it home. But if you were to buy a nice firearm, in shooting condition, as an heirloom but you feel is undervalued at todays prices (I know that seems like an oxymoron), what would you choose? I'm not talking about a $10K M16, but not a Mosin either. Say.....$1000-$1500 tops.

I have been thinking about getting a 1860's-1890's revolver either cap 'n ball or early cartridge (maybe .45LC?). I'm not sure though if the value seems pretty stable and set on those, or if they still have a lot of room to rise?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ I think I would try to find an M1A that is in good shooting condition.

The prices have risen on them, just like everything else lately, but they are still very desirable weapons. They are not out of reach yet but I believe they soon will be.

And unlike the run of the mill AR 15 they have soul.

Not so sure about SAA revolvers. I am not sure how affordable they are if vintage and shootable.

Guest 70below

I'd love to have an M1a/M14. If they were to stop making them, I can definitely see the price rising, but as of right now, I don't think they will stop making them in the near future, just possibly limiting the capacity again. I've been kicking myself for not buying a polytech when you could get them for $650-750 not long ago, and swapping it over to G.I. parts.

Guest 70below

No more ideas? Anyone on here have much knowledge about early revolvers? It seems with the growing interest in cowboy shooting, they would be on the rise. I don't know much about them or what to look for.

I wouldn't shoot the early cap-n-balls. Metallurgy wasn't all it could be in those days. Affordable SA Colts are in rough shape. Repros are in current production.

Milsurp rifles are on the ragged edge. Supply is fixed, demand doesn't seem to be going down. Certainly there are still rifles in storage somewhere in eastern Europe or Russia, but in todays' political climate it isn't likely they will be imported in quantity - more likely destroyed.

CMP Garands and carbines are the best deal going that I am aware of.

Guest 70below

Guess I may have to go back and get a carbine after all :P Maybe I'd be better off buying surplus ammo the way things are going and trade it for a gun nobody has any ammo to shoot.

I wasn't so much looking at shooting a cap and ball pistol, as maybe a late 1800's Colt SAA.....but I've noticed the prices lately, probably out of my price range in the kind of condition I'd consider shooting.

Now I know I can get a nice Garand for roughly half of what a new one would cost,

There is no such thing as a new military M1 Garand. Springfield Armory in Illinois makes replicas and has nothing to do with the Springfield Armory where Garand’s were made. (I do not mean that the SA’s of today aren’t great rifles; they are, they just aren’t what collectors will be looking for.)

I would grab a Garand, M1 Carbine and a 1903 Springfield while you can still get the real deal.

The price of these firearms are being held down because CMP keeps them trickling out. When they are gone (Who knows when that will be)…. The price will skyrocket.

Besides that the Garand is just bad azz when it comes to laying down firepower. :drool:

Guest jos2f

+1 for the Original Garands. If you could find one from 1940's, I'd recommend that.

They're still on my dream list, as well

I think if you really want a heirloom piece then I would skip the CMP Garand. I have two and they are great guns, but they are a mix of parts and a lot of times not very high on the the collectors scale. I would get a WWII vintage correct SA or Winchester Garand, or a correct IH Garand. Either way I would go with a Garand because they are very high on the coolness scale and they are a piece of history.

-Jason G

Polytech Legend milled AK47. You will never see them imported again. i dont even think the chinese will make a firearm of that quality ever again. They are very shootable and will grow in value, even having been fired. Your grandkids will own something that by then will be a legend.

Guest gcrookston

For the best value in future collectables look to the cheapest, cleanest guns imported today. The Polish pistols, for instance.

I say this because 10 years ago we were restoring russian captures and in original condition (as refurbished), they are worth more... 20 years ago we were chopping up new sks rifles to make them tacti-cool... an original is worth more. 30 years ago we were chopping up Hakim's and MAS, and now they are worth more. 40 years ago we were sporterizing Enfields and South American Mausers and 1911s and today they are worth more. 50 years ago we were sporterizing k98ks and g43s and today they are worth more, 80 years ago we were...

and these were cheap, all of them, in there day. What makes them valuable is 1. condition, 2. rarity, 3. all the ones that got modified, abused and trashed leaving the few originals to be worth more.

My first Vietnam bring back SKS I paid $100.00. Now I have one for sale for $450. The Vietnam stuff is the next WWII collectible stuff, already soring in prices.

Edited by gcrookston