Do I Look Like a Schmuck or What?

Guest Phantom6

Guest Phantom6
Sounds to me more like they do not want to have adequate help after 10 PM so therefore stop staffing the sporting goods department.

As far as the Wally-World in O.R. goes, if that were the case they would not staff the sporting goods counter at all because it is very rare that I don't have to hunt someone down just to pick up a little ammo.

Simple solution to me is shop there before 10 Pm.

I was there well ahead of time

Phantom, if you need some for this weekend let me know and I will bring extra, I do feel your pain.

Thanks but no thanks. I picked some up at another store. For years I have said that I'd almost rather sand-paper a tiger's ass than deal with the customers and staff at Wal-Mart. The only time I have entered the parking lot in the last two years or so is to buy ammo and now I have determined that I ain't goin' back. I feel much better now because now I don't have to worry about getting mugged, car-jacked, struck by a hit and run shopping cart with a determined Wal-Mart shopper at the controls or being lied to for corporate convenience.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the Wally-World in O.R. goes, if that were the case they would not staff the sporting goods counter at all because it is very rare that I don't have to hunt someone down just to pick up a little ammo.

I bet 90% of the time I go to WalMart to buy ammo I have to search for someone to come assist me. It gets very annoying. I understand theft may be a problem but when I go to bass pro Shop all their pistol ammo is readily available on shelves for me to help myself to. And for that matter WalMart does not hide shotgun shells behind locked glass, they are on shelves in a help yourself style.

The only time I have entered the parking lot in the last two years or so is to buy ammo

Same here , it is all I buy there. I much prefer BPS as they will price match to WalMarts prices, so when I go near Kodak there is always a side trip involved.

OK folks, I did some checking today. Wal-Mart does not have a corporate policy about when individual stores can sell ammunition. Stores in our area can and do sell round the clock.

But there is a limit on when stores can sell guns. I understand that stores have been told not to sell after 10 PM. Speculating, I suspect that is because of TICS hours which are 8-10 Central time (9-11 Eastern). My guess is that W-M sent out a notice to their stores saying that 10 PM was the cut off rather than try to explain to some of their employees that Tennessee in in two time zones. Just a guess.

So, I suspect the dumb-s.hit in OR at the store heard that they couldn't sell guns after 10 and expanded that to ammunition.

• 1 month later...
Guest GetoffTheX
Walmart is ridiculous. You have to jump through hoops to do anything other than handover your hard earned dollar i.e. exchanges, refunds, etc........

Thats why you don't shop there right???

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tarheel78

I recently had my own knee-slapper at the Turkey Creek WM store, Sporting Goods dept.

I go in on a Saturday afternoon. As usual, no one is visible around the Sporting Goods area, no one. I look around and see a couple other guys looking over the ammo counter. So I go to Electronics, ask and they page someone to SG section. 5 mins later, a harried woman emerges from the Auto/Garage section, asking me what I wanted.

Told her I needed some .223 ammo, preferable the Value Packs. She fumbled around the counter, mumbled that she "didn't get no keys from anyone" to open the locked cabinets. She found the keys and asked again "what did you want?" told her .223 Remingtons. She hesitated and then asked, "Is thems BULLETS?" :)

I kid you not. Thats the state of things @ the Turkey Creek store. You guys in Oak Ridge aren't alone! Sad, really sad. :stir:

Oh I stay far away from the Turkey Creek WalMart.

I went there once and after asking for a box of WWB 9mm the man asked for my ID, which I gave to him, he then told me I wasn't old enough to buy ammo. "Umm, I'm 21 how old do have to be to buy ammo from WalMart?"

Then he asked for my ID again so I gave him both my DL and my HCP and let him know that I had to be 21 to even get an HCP. Then he types my DOB into the register and it says I'm ok. He looks at me again and says, "Is this for a handgun?" I was about to say "no its for a sub machine gun", but I said yes and he asked me for my ID again, which I gave to him. He typed my DOB into the register again and finally I was allowed to pay for my ammo and I got the heck out of dodge.

I buy all my wally world ammo on Gallaher View now, I've never had any problems at that one.

Guest ETS_Inc

There I was (all the best stories start out that way), summer of 1996, in Sanford, ME.

I had just recently purchased my first AR, a Colt AR-15A2 HBAR, and wanted to go shooting with a buddy. We stopped at the Wal-Mart in our little burg, and I went in. I pick up a few small items that I needed and went over to the ammo counter. Gentleman walks up and asks if he can help me. "I need some .223, please." "Sure, how many can I get you?" I look at the shelf, counting how many boxes of UMC .223 are there, and do some mental price calculations. They had 21 boxes, 420 rounds. "I'll take 400 rounds, please."

He opens the case, pulls out 20 boxes and rings them up. He was concerned that that much ammo might rip the bag, so he asks if it's ok to just put them into my little plastic shopping basket. "Sure, I don't mind." Since they weren't in a bag, he wanted to walk me out, so no one would give me a hard time and try to stop me, which was nice of him.

As we're walking out, I laughed and said "Don't worry, I don't work for the Post Office." He laughs at that, and replies, jokingly "Nah, I'm just worried you work for Wal-Mart!" He didn't mean it at all serious, he was joking with a like-minded customer, and went out of his way to take care me. I wish there were Wal-Mart employees like him.