Any interest in staging a Pro-Carry protest against a restaurant that bans?

Would you participate in a peaceful Pro-2A protest of this nature?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in a peaceful Pro-2A protest of this nature?

• Administrator

From the Clarksville's The Leaf Chronicle.

Restaurant owners cheered Bredesen's veto. Boscos co-owner Andy Feinstone put signs up this month banning handguns in his three Tennessee restaurants, including in Hillsboro Village, in anticipation of the bill becoming state law.

"I think it's great that the governor vetoed it, and hopefully it doesn't get overridden," Feinstone said.

So I am curious. How many of you would participate in a lawful, peacful protest in front of the Hillsboro Village location of Boscos restaurant following the presumed Tennessee House & Senate override of Governor Bredesen's veto?

Here is what I am thinking:

• We would do this on public property, such as the sidewalk or roadside.

• We would do NOTHING to block or otherwise make it difficult for patrons of Boscos to enter or exit their property. We would just be there to peacefully and unobtrusively protest the manager's decision.

• We would hand out flyers to any interested party including a summary of HB0962, why we believe it makes good law. Also it would include a copy of the statement from the Boscos management (see above) and explain why we are protesting them.

• We would all dress nicely (i.e. no camo, no t-shirts with controversial or profane slogans or logos) and look the part of the responsible gun-owning Average Americans that we are.

• Our picket signs would all use proper spelling and grammar so that we don't look like uneducated morons.

• Optionally, we would wear EMPTY holsters as a show of being rendered defenseless by the management's decision to forbid us legal carry under the new law.

• I would contact the Steve Gill show by US mail, email and phone call asking them to come out and cover the protest and give the cause a little radio exposure.

• We would also have our own people video-tape the entire thing for submission to Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or anyone else who wants to air it. Especially useful if some anti-2A people get nasty with us.

The goals of this would be to:

• Put these restaurant owners on notice that not only will they lose our business as pro-personal protection consumers, but they will also have unwanted attention drawn to their practice.

• Inspire restaurant owners to reconsider their decisions and remove their individual ban on being able to protect ourselves while dining in their establishments.

• By dressing nicely, having intelligently worded signs and flyers, and conducting ourselves peacefully and with tact and decorum, show that gun owners are not all neanderthal redneck backwoods hicks as the media paints us so broadly.

If successful, this model can be employed again and again as needed across the state.

Thoughts?

Edited by TGO David
Spelling is fundamental.
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• By dressing nicely, having intelligently worded signs and fyers, and conducting ourselves peacefully and with tact and decorum, show that gun owners are not all neanderthal redneck backwoods hicks as the media paints us so broadly.

I'm all for it, but what's a fyer? I'm sorry David, I'm sorry, but how could I pass that up given the context? :popcorn:

I think this is a great idea in all seriousness though!

Guest nraforlife

I think we need a HCP Protection Act. Whereas we, as HCP holders, can get the poop sued out of us for using our legally carried handgun if we shoot someone, or flash it, accidentally or on purpose, we should be able to sue ANYBODY whether private or STATE government should we be disarmed - by a posting or ban, and an incident occur where having our firearm could have, to a reasonable juror, possibly prevented or lessen an injury to the HCP holder or another. Or some law to that effect.

The only thing I disagree with is "unarmed" hell if I'm on a public street I'm armed. I'm not disarming for them, period. Now if you are talking about going in ordering a coke, sitting there taking up space and costing them money then I would have to be disarmed. Otherwise, I'm Ocing a Desert Eagle 50ae.:)

Actually that last part is a joke.:P

No, I certainly would not take part in something like this.

Tennessee recognizes no 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment rights. All we have is privileges that we can buy from the state; I am willing to pay for them and would like to keep them.

We are on the minority side of this. The majoririty of people do not agree with guns & liquor. They agree with the Governor that “It defies common senseâ€.

Business owners could care less that they lose our business; it would be insignificant.

But if you ask people to take sides the entire HCP carry program is going to be painted as a group that supports “Guns in barsâ€. Even though we know that is not what this is about I don’t think I saw a news report that did not start with “Guns in barsâ€.

I do not support guns and liquor. I agree with the Governor that it defies common sense, and I do not want to put my privilege of carrying a firearm at risk.

I support that we should be able to carry and that it should be a recognized right instead of a privilege; but it is not.

I will not take part in this; I do not support it and hope you guys think long and hard about what you are getting ready to do.

Guest benchpresspower
I think we need a HCP Protection Act. Whereas we, as HCP holders, can get the poop sued out of us for using our legally carried handgun if we shoot someone, or flash it, accidentally or on purpose, we should be able to sue ANYBODY whether private or STATE government should we be disarmed - by a posting or ban, and an incident occur where having our firearm could have, to a reasonable juror, possibly prevented or lessen an injury to the HCP holder or another. Or some law to that effect.

I think that there was something in the works on this but not neccessarily sure if it went anywhere or not.

gunlaws.com - Gun Free Zone Bill and Review

On a side note however, I would like to see the letter the TN Restaurant Assoc. sent Bredesen disclosed and see EXACTLY which chains or individuals supported the veto so we can turn right around and "veto" them. In other words these restaurants want to take your money but don't give a flying monkey butt about your safety. I may be wrong and I am sure someone may post the link here but I think we had a petition or poll going on here a while back about us on here agreeing not to patronize ANY restaurant that chooses to carry. I'm all for that. I'll help with the protest.

• Administrator

Actually there's more or less a precedent for that now as I understand it. But that's a topic for another thread.

• We would also have our own people video-tape the entire thing for submission to Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly...

Thoughts?

was onboard until i saw that...

biased fox news propaganda will not help (there's NO CREDIBILITY in their "reporting"), any media involvement that is slanted or biased only divides people on the issue and cheapens the message .

(OR, if exposure for the issue is the point, perhaps you could send it to keith olbermann and rachel maddow at msnbc also... staying away from known partisan outlets is probably best though...)

gun rights DO NOT equal a right-wing only issue.

our bill of rights as americans IS NOT partisan in any way shape or form, that MUST be part of the message.

JMHO.

i would gladly give time and effort towards educating the public on responsible gun ownership and pushing through prop 2A... but cannot if it's perceived as tied to other issues that are divisive and unrelated.

Edited by CK1

Tennessee recognizes no 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment rights. All we have is privileges that we can buy from the state; I am willing to pay for them and would like to keep them.

We are on the minority side of this. The majoririty of people do not agree with guns & liquor. They agree with the Governor that “It defies common senseâ€.

Business owners could care less that they lose our business; it would be insignificant.

But if you ask people to take sides the entire HCP carry program is going to be painted as a group that supports “Guns in barsâ€. Even though we know that is not what this is about I don’t think I saw a news report that did not start with “Guns in barsâ€.

I do not support guns and liquor. I agree with the Governor that it defies common sense, and I do not want to put my privilege of carrying a firearm at risk.

I support that we should be able to carry and that it should be a recognized right instead of a privilege; but it is not.

I will not take part in this; I do not support it and hope you guys think long and hard about what you are getting ready to do.

I think everybody has thought long and hard Dave. I think everybody is just sick and tired of being told how to live their lives. I think most would rather TRY to do something and at least feel like they attempted to make a point, as opposed to just sitting at home doing nothing.

I think you may be in the minority in the way you think.

I think you may be in the minority in the way you think.

I am sure that I am on this forum; I’m a realist.

I am not in the general public.

I think most would rather TRY to do something and at least feel like they attempted to make a point, as opposed to just sitting at home doing nothing.

Then don’t sit at home doing nothing.

• Administrator

Tennessee recognizes no 2<sup>nd</sup> amendment rights. All we have is privileges that we can buy from the state; I am willing to pay for them and would like to keep them.

We are on the minority side of this. The majoririty of people do not agree with guns & liquor. They agree with the Governor that “It defies common sense”.

But if you ask people to take sides the entire HCP carry program is going to be painted as a group that supports “Guns in bars”. Even though we know that is not what this is about I don’t think I saw a news report that did not start with “Guns in bars”.

I'm not sure where to start but I'm frankly a bit shocked and appalled that one of our own is so willing to lay down and surrender territory so easily.

First of all, I never said that we would be mixing firearms and alcohol at this event. Second of all, I never said that I advocate people drinking and carrying. And thirdly, it's this "path of least resistance" mentality that has cost us so dearly in terms of ground ceded to the antis in years past.

It's clearly your prerogative to sit out a protest like this, but if we as gun owners don't take the fight back to the street and show the rest of the world that we're not all bitter, reclusive wack-jobs holed up in our neo-nazi bunkers but rather moms, dads, teachers, doctors, lawyers, factory workers, softball coaches, pastors... their next door neighbors... then we might as just sit back passively and wait for them to legislate us out of existence.

The choice is yours. My choice is to fight.

I am sure that I am on this forum; I’m a realist.

I am not in the general public.

Then don’t sit at home doing nothing.

I think you can be a realist and still fight for change. This may not be the way you would go about it, but I would ask what would you do?

We called, wrote, e-mailed and this thing got passed several times over. Then, we are struck down by an idiot with a pen. Now it's rinse and repeat.

I like David's idea. I think it's something to start with. We are not the bad guys. We are not the rapists, murderers, thieves, and delinquents that bring so much pain and suffering to those they prey on. We are merely the people who wish to be able to make damn sure it doesn't happen to us.

I'm not sure where to start but I'm frankly a bit shocked and appalled that one of our own is so willing to lay down and surrender territory so easily.

First of all, I never said that we would be mixing firearms and alcohol at this event. Second of all, I never said that I advocate people drinking and carrying. And thirdly, it's this "path of least resistance" mentality that has cost us so dearly in terms of ground ceded to the antis in years past.

It's clearly your prerogative to sit out a protest like this, but if we as gun owners don't take the fight back to the street and show the rest of the world that we're not all bitter, reclusive wack-jobs holed up in our neo-nazi bunkers but rather moms, dads, teachers, doctors, lawyers, factory workers, softball coaches, pastors... their next door neighbors... then we might as just sit back passively and wait for them to legislate us out of existence.

The choice is yours. My choice is to fight.

Well said! :)

I think it would be a good idea for us to contact our STATE senators and representatives and ask them to vote to override the Governor's veto of this bill. They have the power to override and I heard on the news this morning that they may consider that option as early as this Monday (June1). I have already emaioled by State Rep. and Senator here in W TN today asking them to override his veto. It's worth a shot if they get enough feedback.

I think it would be a good idea for us to contact our STATE senators and representatives and ask them to vote to override the Governor's veto of this bill. They have the power to override and I heard on the news this morning that they may consider that option as early as this Monday (June1). I have already emaioled by State Rep. and Senator here in W TN today asking them to override his veto. It's worth a shot if they get enough feedback.

You're a little behind man. Whole other thread on that.

I think you can be a realist and still fight for change. This may not be the way you would go about it, but I would ask what would you do?

About what? It appears that the law is going to go into effect.

You want to know what I would do about a private business owner posting his business?

You want to know what I would do about a private business owner posting his business?

No, I know the answer to that. Nothing.

I want to know what you suggest we do about fighting for our rights and trying to change people's minds. Liberals protest against us and use the media all the time, but if we do it it's futile? I'm just not following the logic.

I want to know what you suggest we do about fighting for our rights and trying to change people's minds. Liberals protest against us and use the media all the time, but if we do it it's futile? I'm just not following the logic.

I would be willing to give my time to help educate the public that this is not a “Guns in Bars†law.

I will attend a rally to do that.

But I will not “picket†a private business owner that is exercising his rights.

I would be willing to give my time to help educate the public that this is not a “Guns in Bars†law.

I will attend a rally to do that.

But I will not “picket†a private business owner that is exercising his rights.

Said like that, I can respect your decision at least.

I think this is a really good idea David...I dont know when you plan on doing it, but if you get some more details worked out I might be able to make the trip. While I dont agree with much DaveTN said I do understand the logic of not picketing a business owner thats exercising his right to post a sign. Would there maybe be a better location?