Any interest in staging a Pro-Carry protest against a restaurant that bans?

Would you participate in a peaceful Pro-2A protest of this nature?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in a peaceful Pro-2A protest of this nature?

I can't say that I've ever felt intimidated while driving down the street and seeing unions picket or protesters protesting. Their intended goal seemed to be raising awareness. That was my intended goal with the suggestion here.

Clearly it's raised some awareness or the Leftist bloggers wouldn't have already latched onto the story. :)

Just got invited to go to Boscos here in Memphis. I yelled "Oh I'm going, but not tonight and not to eat!" :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Old goat
I can't say that I've ever felt intimidated while driving down the street and seeing unions picket or protesters protesting. Their intended goal seemed to be raising awareness. That was my intended goal with the suggestion here.

Clearly it's raised some awareness or the Leftist bloggers wouldn't have already latched onto the story. :)

Were you crossing that picket to go to work?

And which part of this story did they latch onto?

• Administrator
Were you crossing that picket to go to work?

And which part of this story did they latch onto?

The part of the story that suited their agenda, of course. And I'm sure you are going to point to that and say "AH HAH! Told you so!" but you have to consider that I don't base my decisions on the fear that some kook from the other side might ridicule me for them.

The best any of us can do is to put our best foot forward and be sincere in our efforts to do the right thing for the right reasons. Someone, somewhere will always be there to mock whatever it is you're taking a stand for. Or at the very least mock HOW you decided to take that stand.

I guess if I always worried that much about what someone else was thinking, I'd feel pretty old at the comparatively young age of 49 also. :)

But back to the subject: It's actually rather inspiring to me that a Leftwing blogger has picked up this story and started criticizing me for thinking about staging a peaceful protest against Boscos. To me, it smells like fear and loathing. Fear that a Conservative might use a traditionally radical Leftist means of opposition against them, and loathing that one of us has finally figured it out.

Guest Old goat

then by all means go picket, thats fine. When someone says to me "did you see they guys trying to close down that restaurant for post no guns" I'll explain to them that that was not the intent at all and won't be the least bit afraid to do so.

And I guess at the still fairly young age of 36, I probably didn't look at all the possible outcomes of my actions. And I know that 49 is not too old, but I got lots of miles on me.:)

• Administrator
then by all means go picket, thats fine. When someone says to me "did you see they guys trying to close down that restaurant for post no guns" I'll explain to them that that was not the intent at all and won't be the least bit afraid to do so.

And I guess at the still fairly young age of 36, I probably didn't look at all the possible outcomes of my actions. And I know that 49 is not too old, but I got lots of miles on me.:)

I'm a pretty high mile 36. I wouldn't wish half the crap I've been through on anyone else. ;)

All of which begs the question... did Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin ever utter the words, "I'm too old for this ****". :)

Guest Old goat

I don't think I'm too old, just don't agree with the tactics in this case. When I see the news reports of what a positive thing this was to raise awareness, I'll be the second one to say that I was wrong, cause I figure you will be the first.:)

Guest KevinM
This isn’t about “Guns in bars”. If it were, I agree with what the Governor said; “it defies common sense”. Unfortunately the uninformed public has been told that it is.

Yes, the lowly uninformed civilians have no common sense. Only cops have perfect records with their firearms. They NEVER shoot each other or innocent bystanders EVER. They never commit crimes of their own.

Their record is FAR AND ABOVE that of civilians with handgun permits. And just look at all the bloodbaths across the nation in states that have this same law. Austin, TX...so many senseless deaths from all the permit holders going in for a bite and deciding to commit a few homicides on the way out. Thank God we have people like Bredesen and yourself to teach us what is common sense and what is insanity. Serpas too. That guy is a regular sage. He makes such a fine arguement by pointing to John Wayne movies to show us examples of what is inevitable with the passage of this bill.

We've been utterly blessed with their/your wisdom. :)

Edited by KevinM
  • Administrator
I don't think I'm too old, just don't agree with the tactics in this case. When I see the news reports of what a positive thing this was to raise awareness, I'll be the second one to say that I was wrong, cause I figure you will be the first.:)

I understand and I won't be doing the "Toldyaso" dance in any case. We're all welcome to disagree with each other here. I just tend to be a little more... verbose... when I disagree. :)

Re allowing the business to post: Why are restaurants forced to adhere to the no-smoking laws? Because it's politically correct and the anti-smokers caused enough of a ruckus to get it done. There was no respect for private property rights in that case. Unfortuately, we aren't politically correct (yet). We can protest on the sidewalk all we want but all we'll get is bad publicity and the media will further fan the flames. I like the cards - let economics work - until the first time an HCP holder is attacked in a restaurant that's posted and sues them. Now, having said all of that, I don't think there are enough of us to have a real impact except perhaps in the smaller municipalities. For whatever perverse reason, as we all know, people are convinced that the 2nd amendment is less equal than others. There' the rub.

Guest nraforlife

When the SHTF here, and it is coming not a matter of IF just WHEN, the non-firearm sheeple are going to be crapping their pants and carry prohibitations are going to be worthless and/or not enforced.

Now on to the Gov vetoing the restaurant bill. Hopefully it will be overridden by the House and Senate. If not, life goes on, I'll still carry where not prohibited by law or not properly posted and hope that when a new Gov is elected that the bill be be passed again and this time signed.

As I told my rep. the mistake that was made was that a tax of some type wasn't included in the bill because when I lived in Davidson County and Bredesen was the Mayor there wasn't a tax that came along that he wouldn't sleep with.

Ok....I've been out of pocket all day, probably the longest time I've ever not at least logged on to see what new post to my subscribed threads.

Definitely one of the longest threads I've read (or at least tried to read) from post 1.

But anyway.....what day and time are we doing this? :)

I'm a little late on this, but I'll put in my .02 anyway. Sorry to disappoint, but I agree somewhat with DaveTN (sign of the apocalypse). I'm all for carrying into Red Lobster or O'Charleys, but against carrying or even being legal to carry into Billy Joe's Redneck Pool Hall or Lil Tyrone's Shake Joint. I wasn't a huge fan of the 11 p.m. curfew, but all along I was hoping for a percentage-of-revenue-from-alcohol-sales rule. That would keep it legal in said restaurants, but a no-go in "bars." It would have prevented a lot of the negative publicity HCP holders have recently gotten, as well as prevented the "guns in bars" label from developing. Guns have no business in bars. As far as I'm concerned, people have no business in bars, but my wife tells me I'm a fuddy-duddy for my age. IMO, you have no business touching a steering wheel if you touched a drink. Likewise, you have no business touching a gun if you've been drinking. I know too many people who drink, and then drive themselves home, and think nothing of it. Many people will regard carrying after drinking exactly the same way. When they get a DUI, people snicker or throw stones or say our DUI laws are messed up, etc. Lots of variety in responses. If someone gets a weapons violation (or worse) because they were drinking, everyone's reaction will be the same--"they never should have allowed 'guns in bars.'" Hell, they could do everything right, and still get the book thrown at them because they were drinking, and help paint us all as gunslinging, beer swilling rednecks. I'm with Dave--when something happens (not if), it may just cost us dearly. Hopefully it won't, but I'm nervous about the full-blown HCP-is-allowed-anywhere law that we will soon have.

Guest mustangdave

Personally...you protest by hitting them where it hurts...in the pocket book...this forum is pretty goood at spreading the word about stuff like this. You show up on their door step with picket signs...IMHO you've just been "profiled" as one of those gun crazy whack jobs for the media to continue to denounce. I'd rather the general public not know I carry...and having my face splashed all over the 5/6/10 o'clock news defeats that purpose.

I'm a little late on this, but I'll put in my .02 anyway. Sorry to disappoint, but I agree somewhat with DaveTN (sign of the apocalypse). I'm all for carrying into Red Lobster or O'Charleys, but against carrying or even being legal to carry into Billy Joe's Redneck Pool Hall or Lil Tyrone's Shake Joint. I wasn't a huge fan of the 11 p.m. curfew, but all along I was hoping for a percentage-of-revenue-from-alcohol-sales rule. That would keep it legal in said restaurants, but a no-go in "bars." It would have prevented a lot of the negative publicity HCP holders have recently gotten, as well as prevented the "guns in bars" label from developing. Guns have no business in bars. As far as I'm concerned, people have no business in bars, but my wife tells me I'm a fuddy-duddy for my age. IMO, you have no business touching a steering wheel if you touched a drink. Likewise, you have no business touching a gun if you've been drinking. I know too many people who drink, and then drive themselves home, and think nothing of it. Many people will regard carrying after drinking exactly the same way. When they get a DUI, people snicker or throw stones or say our DUI laws are messed up, etc. Lots of variety in responses. If someone gets a weapons violation (or worse) because they were drinking, everyone's reaction will be the same--"they never should have allowed 'guns in bars.'" Hell, they could do everything right, and still get the book thrown at them because they were drinking, and help paint us all as gunslinging, beer swilling rednecks. I'm with Dave--when something happens (not if), it may just cost us dearly. Hopefully it won't, but I'm nervous about the full-blown HCP-is-allowed-anywhere law that we will soon have.

With all due respect, I have to disagree with just about everything you've just said here.

But I would like to make one thing clear. Based on your post you may be slightly misinformed.

Passing a law that would allow HCP holders to carry in bars, is in no way a license to drink while carrying your firearm into a bar.

Just like it has always been, it is and will continue to be against the law for a person to be intoxicated while in the possession of a firearm.

Just like it has always been, it is and will continue to be against the law for a person to be intoxicated while in the possession of a firearm.

It is and will continue to be against the law for a person to be intoxicated while driving. Thank God that law has never been broken :D

• Administrator
I'd rather the general public not know I carry...and having my face splashed all over the 5/6/10 o'clock news defeats that purpose.

Honestly, one of the better reasons against a public protest.

It is and will continue to be against the law for a person to be intoxicated while driving. Thank God that law has never been broken :D

In that case, I guess it's perfectly acceptable to punish law abiding citizens for the actions of those who have a problem obeying the law.:D:rolleyes:

Since some people have used firearms to commit crimes, I will send your local LEO's over to collect all firearms in your possession. I don't think you should own them, because you will inevitably become a criminal while using a firearm.

In that case, I guess it's perfectly acceptable to punish law abiding citizens for the actions of those who have a problem obeying the law.:D:rolleyes:

Absolutely not, but why make it legal for the HCP holders with 1.5 digit IQs to possibly jeapordize our (fragile IMO) HCP privileges? Find the average BAC of patrons driving themselves home from bars, and I bet an alarming percentage of them would not be law-abiding. An alarming percentage of them would be armed, too. This is not something that might happen; it's something that already happens. Taking the wife and kid to the local Mexican restaurant and packing to prevent a parking lot assault or worse is no comparison to drinking in a bar while packing a pistol. I have no problem banning HCPs in bars, not because it simply won't affect me, but because I don't think there is any good reason to go to a bar, armed or not (again, the fuddy-duddy factor is in play here).

Absolutely not, but why make it legal for the HCP holders with 1.5 digit IQs to possibly jeapordize our (fragile IMO) HCP privileges? Find the average BAC of patrons driving themselves home from bars, and I bet an alarming percentage of them would not be law-abiding. An alarming percentage of them would be armed, too. This is not something that might happen; it's something that already happens. Taking the wife and kid to the local Mexican restaurant and packing to prevent a parking lot assault or worse is no comparison to drinking in a bar while packing a pistol. I have no problem banning HCPs in bars, not because it simply won't affect me, but because I don't think there is any good reason to go to a bar, armed or not (again, the fuddy-duddy factor is in play here).

Although I totally disagree, I have all the respect in the world for your opinion. We will simply have to agree to disagree.