So I am pretty new to firearms and my wife, come to find out, has been afraid of them all her life. Her dad told me he had to have all of his guns hidden when she was growing up because of the fear. When I first started getting in to the hobby a couple of months ago and would talk to my wife about guns she would be visibly uncomfortable and worried looking. Well I have collected a couple of older rifles and handguns since the beginning of the year and also got my HCP and she has been real cool with it all.

Well last weekend my wife turns to me and says that she would be interested in taking some type of intro handgun class because we have one in the house now and with the turn of the economy. I immediately called the place where I took my HCP class and signed her up before she could change her mind.;) I knew once she tried it she would like it and boy was I right. She had her class yesterday and did incredible. She was very nervous right before going in to shoot, for the first time in her life I might add, but the instructors did a great job settling her down. She was shooting on the targets that have the six or eight smaller targets on the back and she kept everything with in the first two to three circles and actually had some right in the center circle.

It was incredible and I was so proud of her for overcoming her fear. Now she cant wait to get back out and shoot some more, she was so pumped up about it. It also works out for me too because I have someone else to shoot with and now I guess we have to start looking at more guns. Oh well, have to keep her happy.:screwy:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great!

I told the wife that I was going to Range USA on Memorial day and she said she wanted to go too. Next thing I know, she's shot the 250 rounds of 9mm I bought to break in "my" new CZ. (It may be "her" new CZ now.)

Be careful!!!!

Guest HexHead

For weeks before my wife took her HCP class, I took her shooting and had her practice as the exact distances that she'd need to qualify at. During that period of time, she went from jumping every time the guy in the next booth shot, being unable to rack her slide and trying to put the cartridges into the magazine backwards, to being confident, enjoying herself and shooting a 98% on the qualifying target.

photo-1.jpg

She now has her permit and her own pistol. Damn nice one too. :D

Edited by HexHead
Guest cjames38464

I agree its nice to have the wife interested in shooting...Mine took to it like a duck to water...She loves my XD40 and it damn good with it...but she likes her 380 to carry, much less weight...Congrats...the more things you two can enjoy together will make you a stronger team....

Where did you sign her up? If you are close to Range USA I highly recommend their women only class.

We did go to Range USA. We are actually closer to Rangemaster but I took my HCP class at Range USA and they were incredible there. Everyone here had told me what a great bunch they have out there and after going there, it is worth the drive.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.