Hooray! I got my first handgun, now where can I shoot it?

analog_kidd

I'm a first time handgun owner and I just picked up a new XD9. Spent about an hour with it on the range at Coal Creek in Knoxville and love it. I can see how this is going to become an addictive hobby.

I was talking to my dad who lives in NC, and he said that they have a public outdoor range near him in a national forest. They only charge a few $$ for parking. Does anyone know of any ranges like this near the Oak Ridge / Knoxville area. Or is there anywhere a person can just go and legally shoot out in the woods somewhere?

I need to get some practice before I go take the carry class.

Thanks,

David

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David.

Most of the folks who can give you information about your area are probably out at a shoot in Oak Ridge right now. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 is the area for these shoots. If you are at OR, you probably have tome to go there now.

Someone should be able to help you when they get back. Just go over and post something in the E TN August get together topic.

I need to get some practice before I go take the carry class.

If I may be so bold as to offer unsolicited advice, I'd say you should take the class sooner than later. The class has a lot of great information for beginner shooters, and trust me, you're already good enough to pass the shooting test (I think my dog is.) A trained instructor can probably give you a few pointers that will help stop any bad habits you may be forming.

That's my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take it. I wasn't sure if you needed some time under your belt or not to take the class. I like the idea of forming good habits early, and not having to break bad ones.

Are all classes basicly the same, or does anyone recommend one location over another?

There are minimum requirements for the class, but some instructors add some extra training as part of it. That normally is reflected in the price. Bare bones classes can run as little as $50. Phantom6, here on the board has a school in OR. Since this is your first handgun, you might consider his class. See http://firearmsclasses.com/basic_pistol.htm for details. I've heard good things about it from other students. He's also a good guy. We've met over barbecue when he came up to Kingsport for a shoot. My wife likes him too and we are both pretty good judges of character both innately and from formal training.

Very true. Also what Marswolf says is highly valid. Take the class first. If you have a decent instructor, you will get some pointers and such that are better to know before you take your first shot rather than after.

Congrats and welcome to the hobby/sport/profession.

There were people in my class who had never shot a gun of any kind before going to the range. I would think is common to most classes.
I would highly recommend Phantom6 to everyone if they have not already taken their carry class. Mike is a class act all the way and a pleasure to talk with and learn from.

+1 I took his class and I had never shot a handgun in my life, and I passed no problem. I recommend his class to everyone from co-workers to random people at the gander mountain counter.

Guest Phantom6
+1 I took his class and I had never shot a handgun in my life, and I passed no problem. I recommend his class to everyone from co-workers to random people at the gander mountain counter.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. John, I was wondering why all those guys with Gander Mountain hats keep coming in.

analog_kidd, if you are interested, the next permit class is 8 September. We still have a few spots left. Whether you choose our school or another, get your permit and get some training. We shoot on a private range that we are developing just outside of Oak Ridge and give free clinics that are open to all students/former students one Sunday afternoon per month.

Oh, and congrats on the new pistol. Branket is damned good with an XD and I carry and shoot an XD9 as a primary weapon myself.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest volgunner

When I took the HCP class in May, I hadn't ever fired a centerfire handgun. The shooting test is so simple, literally anyone can pass.

I echo the sentiment that the HCP class provides good, basic instruction in shooting and general firearm handling safety that every newbie should no.

Regards,

Russell