Winchester 90-22 rifle price.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I found in Blue Book:

Model 1890 Second Model Takedown Frame

- color case hardened receiver, takedown feature was added in 1892 after over 15,000 solid frames had been made, approx. ser. no. range 15,500-326,000. Mfg. 1892-1907.

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%

N/A $8,000 $5,500 $4,250 $3,250 $2,750 $2,200 $1,800 $1,200 $875 $550 $385

Model 1890 Takedown w/ Blue Finish

- most commonly encountered Model 1890, post-1901 manufacture.

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%

N/A $3,000 $2,000 $1,250 $825 $650 $550 $450 $385 $335 $300 $250

Add 50% for .22 LR cal. (mfg circa 1919-1932, starting at ser. no. approx. 610,000).

.22 LR cal. accounted for approx. 10% of the total production on this model.

Deluxe model will bring premiums over values listed. There were also a limited amount of guns mfg. with stainless steel barrels which will add to values of post-1901 mfg.

The Model 1890 was Winchester's first slide action repeating rifle. It replaced the Model 1873 .22 cal. It was an excellent and inexpensive .22 rifle that rapidly became the universal firearm used in shooting galleries. Even though production reached approx. 849,000 units, most guns were heavily used and specimens existing today in 98%+ condition are rare. Check carefully for rebarreling (notice proofmarks on barrel).

Hope this helps.

It belonged to his Grandfather and he said that his Gfather refered to it as a gallery gun. It is really a beatiful little rifle and I would love to have one like it...new guns just don't have the same feel. We are going to go and put a few rounds through it next Saturday.

How would I go about estimating the condition of the rifle?

Edited by BrasilNuts

I think they called them "Gallery Guns" because they were used in carnival shooting galleries. My grandfather mentioned the little .22 short pump action rifles he used to shoot a the carnival and this one looks exactly as he described.

I think they called them "Gallery Guns" because they were used in carnival shooting galleries. My grandfather mentioned the little .22 short pump action rifles he used to shoot a the carnival and this one looks exactly as he described.

That's what I'm thinking. Gallery Guns were usually .22 short back in the day.

According to my 1895 Montgomery Ward catalog that rifle sold for:

Factory price.....$16.00

Our price..............9.72

Available in short or long. Octagonal 24" barrrel.

Those were the good old days!

Edited by Garufa
Guest gcrookston

Based on the pictures I would rate this gun about 70-80% turning brown. That being said, I've only seen one original box ever sold at auction (and that was about 15 years ago). It had the original label still attached to the lid, but no gun. It went for about $500.00 as I recall. Your box appears original, as my memory serves. The oil can would fetch $25-50 by itself. Although most of these fetch from $250 - 700 today, most have either been reblued or are in worse shape. I estimate the box will double the value of the gun, if original, and should bring about $1,750 to $2,250 for the entire set. I base this on recent auction results I skimmed through, including this one:

Winchester Model 90 .22 Long Rifle Excellent 22 : Pump at GunBroker.com

For insurance purposes I would add between 25 to 50%. And take some better pictures for any future claim that may arise.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston

tell your friend not to chuck the rags in the case, it appears he might have the original sleaves and wax paper... hard to tell from the photo...

Guest gcrookston
I have a 1897 that has exactly the same look as this .22, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they use to brown guns?

Not this one. They browned flintlocks, it was easier and cheaper, to about 1820.

The high rust/bluing of the last half of the 19th century will turn brown without proper care. This gun has done so...

I don't think that rags came with the rifle, but at the least they are very old. The wax paper does seem do be original as well as some 3"x3" cotton patches that are in the box. Also the oil can still has some of the original oil in it.

edit: I have never held another one of these rifles before so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but this rifle is very tight and cycles perfectly. The barrel is the original and is in great condition on the inside. My buddy said that he thinks it has around 1000 rounds through it.

Edited by BrasilNuts