Traveling to Tennessee.. .need help with laws

Guest tules

Guest tules

So I will be taking a trip to Tennessee, specifically Pigeon Forge and Gatlingburg. I will be going there for a week in about 2 months. I have a CCW and know TN will honor it so I was wondering what I will be limited too. Here are few questions I have.

1.) I will not want everyone i'm with knowing i'm carrying so are there places that will check vehicles etc or should i be concerned with people asking me?

2.) With all the new laws I'm confused on what's legal arounf teh parks. Just driving from pigeon forge to Gatlinburg, will i have to go through a park or something i should be worried about?

3.) I'm staying at a cabin in pigeon forge, I'm assuming that will be legal around there?

4.) if it's just a business posting a sign, is it criminal? or do they just have to ask me to leave?

5.) Are there a lot of places in Gatlingurg and Pigeon Forge that are off limits?

Any information to keep me legal will help. Thanks!

Edited by tules
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I will be taking a trip to Tennessee, specifically Pigeon Forge and Gatlingburg. I will be going there for a week in about 2 months. I have a CCW and know TN will honor it so I was wondering what I will be limited too. Here are few questions I have.

1.) I will not want everyone i'm with knowing i'm carrying so are there places that will check vehicles etc or should i be concerned with people asking me?

2.) With all teh new laws on confused on what's legal arounf teh parks. Just driving from pigeon forge to Gatlinburg, will i have to go through a park or something i should be worried about?

3.) I'm staying at a cabin in pigeon forge, I'm assuming that will be legal around there?

4.) if it's just a business posting a sign, is it criminal? or do they just have to ask me to elave?

5.) Are there a lot of places in Gatlingurg and Pigeon Forge that are off limits?

#1- Carry concealed. I've never been searched, or even asked if I was carrying, unless it was just a buddy that wanted to talk guns.

#2- I'm not familiar with the route you'll be taking, but one of our east TN members should be along soon that can explain that a bit better.

#3- So long as the cabin owner doesn't have any anti- gun rules, you should be free and clear.

#4- It depends on the sign. Plain ole' "No guns allowed" or a circle with the slash through it isn't technically a legal posting, but the business owner/ manager can still ask you to leave. If you refuse, I believe you can be charged with trespassing.

#5- I don't know, I'm sure someone will be along soon that does.

Guest archerdr1

2.) With all the new laws I'm confused on what's legal arounf teh parks. Just driving from pigeon forge to Gatlinburg, will i have to go through a park or something i should be worried about?

4.) if it's just a business posting a sign, is it criminal? or do they just have to ask me to leave?

I do not know of anywhere that will search your vehicle. Most people will not ask you if you have a gun, but if they see you with it, they may ask you to leave.

If you see a sign that says that you are entering the National park, you might want to disarm. Chances are you will not be stopped (unless you speed) in the few miles you drive from PF to Gat.

You should be fine in the cabin

They have to have a LEGAL sign in order to have anything Criminal on you, but if they see it and tell you you can't have it there, sign or not, you have to leave and do that immediately. Otherwise it is criminal Trespass.

In gatlinburg there are several bars (well, places that serve) and until July 14, you cannot carry in those places. If you see a legally posted sign, don't go in with it. Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, and probably a few other shows are posted. look on the main forum and see the "posted locations" forum. Some of this stuff, I am unsure of, but this tells you the stuff that I know about.

Guest tules
#1- Carry concealed. I've never been searched, or even asked if I was carrying, unless it was just a buddy that wanted to talk guns.

#2- I'm not familiar with the route you'll be taking, but one of our east TN members should be along soon that can explain that a bit better.

#3- So long as the cabin owner doesn't have any anti- gun rules, you should be free and clear.

#4- It depends on the sign. Plain ole' "No guns allowed" or a circle with the slash through it isn't technically a legal posting, but the business owner/ manager can still ask you to leave. If you refuse, I believe you can be charged with trespassing.

#5- I don't know, I'm sure someone will be along soon that does.

Thanks a lot, i figured i would just conceal the best i can. My biggest worries are missing a sign and getting a criminal charge. A fine wouldnt KILL me. And i also don't wanna mess with having a problem just driving through areas. . . other help would be nice!

Guest tules
I do not know of anywhere that will search your vehicle. Most people will not ask you if you have a gun, but if they see you with it, they may ask you to leave.

If you see a sign that says that you are entering the National park, you might want to disarm. Chances are you will not be stopped (unless you speed) in the few miles you drive from PF to Gat.

You should be fine in the cabin

They have to have a LEGAL sign in order to have anything Criminal on you, but if they see it and tell you you can't have it there, sign or not, you have to leave and do that immediately. Otherwise it is criminal Trespass.

In gatlinburg there are several bars (well, places that serve) and until July 14, you cannot carry in those places. If you see a legally posted sign, don't go in with it. Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, and probably a few other shows are posted. look on the main forum and see the "posted locations" forum. Some of this stuff, I am unsure of, but this tells you the stuff that I know about.

I will be there after july 12th, so am i good if im in a simple restaraunt that serves alcohol? will be with soem kids, no bars.

And if i just unload and throw my glock in it's case it came with while driving there will i be ok? I wasn't planning on telling anyone i was carrying but I could prolly get away with that without freaking out the older folks.

Guest archerdr1

ON July 14th you can carry in restaurants that serve. That bill just passed house senate and overrode the govs veto. It will go into affect on the 14th. If you put your glock in the glove box and the ammo in another closed compartment you should be fine when driving through. How long are you staying? If you go up on the 12th, you have to wait 2 days before carrying where they serve... just don't drink the alcohol.

Guest archerdr1

pm me when you are heading this way, there is a shortcut to PF I don't want to hijack this thread to put that on here. Stop into Camping World if you are coming through Chattanooga and say Hi. We will even let you carry there!

#1) I don't know of any place that will ask you or check vehicles. The only scenario I can think of is if you get stopped for a traffic violation, and the officer asks if you have any weapons. Otherwise if you carry concealed, no one should know.

#2) I am a little unsure of this myself. I think you do enter the National Park while driving on the Great Smoky Mountains Pkwy between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, but I am not positive. From what I understand, as long as you are in your car, you should be fine.

#3) I have stayed at several cabins while carrying. I have never noticed any signs or policy against it at the places I have stayed. A lot of cabins are individually owned but managed by a leasing company. I think the leasing company sets the policies. I would carry to the cabin - many are pretty remote. However, be aware that some may be located very near the national park.

#4) I agree with the previous answers

#5) Any place in TN that serves alcohol for on-site consumption is off limits until July 14. Other than Dollywood, I don't remember seeing any other posted businesses in that area.

Have fun!

Guest 3pugguy

This link to the state website might also help. At the local gunshops here, they sell a handbook that details laws around us - I'd think your state might have something similiar that could also provide info on TN.

Handgun Carry Permit Frequently Asked Questions

I hope you have a safe and fun trip to our fair state!

Barry

Guest tules
ON July 14th you can carry in restaurants that serve. That bill just passed house senate and overrode the govs veto. It will go into affect on the 14th. If you put your glock in the glove box and the ammo in another closed compartment you should be fine when driving through. How long are you staying? If you go up on the 12th, you have to wait 2 days before carrying where they serve... just don't drink the alcohol.

I won't be going until August 1st so that will not be a problem. THANKS FOR THE HELP! been great.

Guest archerdr1
Just to add, as long as you are still on a public roadway, you would not have to stop and disarm and/or unload your weapon if you are just driving through the park.

If you're getting off the public roadway and going into the park, then that is a different story.

You may also want to see this Firearms Law FAQ - Tennessee Gun Owners

I didn't know that, man, I guess it IS good to have you on here!

Guest tules
#1) I don't know of any place that will ask you or check vehicles. The only scenario I can think of is if you get stopped for a traffic violation, and the officer asks if you have any weapons. Otherwise if you carry concealed, no one should know.

#2) I am a little unsure of this myself. I think you do enter the National Park while driving on the Great Smoky Mountains Pkwy between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, but I am not positive. From what I understand, as long as you are in your car, you should be fine.

this doesn't bother me as i will be with sevral kids and their soccer moms. . don't plan on getting searched haha

Guest tules
#2) I drive the spur (HWY 441 between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg) 2-3 time a day, I do not disarm.

alright, thanks! you guys have helped a lot!

Edit: Does that mean it's legal? lol

Edited by tules
Guest m&pc9
alright, thanks! you guys have helped a lot!

Edit: Does that mean it's legal? lol

It is only immoral, until you get caught then its illegal.:doh:

Guest tules
Yeah. It's a freakin federal highway.

Btw, knives with 4" or less blades are legal here, folders or straight.

- OS

oh okay, thanks. I have a 4 inch S&W knife i'll carry when or if i disarm. What about dollywood? they allow knives?

so sounds like i will be good everywhere i plan to go except dollywood. . .?

Guest tules
A few states issue non-resident permits.

yup, what he said. out-of-state. I live about 30 seconds from missouri and go there frequently. That's where i use it most.