Carters in Chattanooga

there is a little mom and pop shop in Rhea County called South Rhea Sales, They have a great selection nd will order anything you need. Extremely nice older people. Also Silvers Firearms (silversfirearms.com) in old fort is excellent. He was ordering things for me when all others kept saying, "Tht's hard to get"

The Randolphs (south rhea sales) is way to high on everything.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rugerman
Also,

The randolphs smoke in there. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and therefore that is another reason I dont go in there aside from the fact they are sky high on stuff.

Last time I was in there they didn't take check cards or credit cards at all. He also told me my Springfield loaded was "crap" and tried to sell me a "better Rock Island". Their Ruger Single actions prices are way out in left field.

I wonder if any Chattanooga gunshops (skips excluded) actually reads about how bad practically everyone thinks they are!?!?

There is one down the road from me (less than 2 miles) selling bersa thunder 380s for $400+ back when they were going for $189 at guns shows.

I wonder if any Chattanooga gunshops (skips excluded) actually reads about how bad practically everyone thinks they are!?!?

There is one down the road from me (less than 2 miles) selling bersa thunder 380s for $400+ back when they were going for $189 at guns shows.

I seriously doubt it or they would have hopefully straightened up. Skip is a good fella. To bad he is only open on Wednesdays now :-(.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Skips Firearms is great! He has the best prices by far in this area and he is more than happy to do transfers at a great price. With the internet and FFL holders like Skip just do a transfer and save. With an out of state transfer you don't have to pay sells tax either!

I have 3 guns at Skips I plan to pickup this Wednesday, I waited around till they all arrived as I can pay that $10 background check few just once for all 3 of them.

Also I recommend Mark Scott of Scott Bookkeeping, he is mostly transfers only but still great to do business with. When it comes to NFA transfers I have always used him, and see no reason why I won't continue to do so.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I liked Darr's for some things when they were around. They nearly always had bricks of CCI Blazzer 22LR in stock and often would have lots of various odd ammo calibers in stock for fair prices. To bad Darr's closed.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
What type of market would there be for a indoor range/gun shop in East Ridge?? Maybe ten lanes as much as 50' deep. It is a large building so might have to offer pawn to cover overhead??

Just thinking.?.?

It might do okay if your prices were the lowest in town and you were good to people.

I dont know what happened to Ray Carter but i must admit that the last 2 times i went in his place that he was very pleasant. I felt like others here and have posted my negative experiences with him in the past. Maybe he does read stuff on here :D

His prices were ususally on par with most small shops in the area but it was always the attitude that turned me off, hopefully the change was permanent because I too would rather support a local store plus I drive past Carters everyday.

I dont know what happened to Ray Carter but i must admit that the last 2 times i went in his place that he was very pleasant. I felt like others here and have posted my negative experiences with him in the past. Maybe he does read stuff on here :D

His prices were ususally on par with most small shops in the area but it was always the attitude that turned me off, hopefully the change was permanent because I too would rather support a local store plus I drive past Carters everyday.

Until they do away with the monthly/yearly membership and stop requiring you to purchase ammo there if you are going to use the range I will not frequent this establishment.

What type of market would there be for a indoor range/gun shop in East Ridge?? Maybe ten lanes as much as 50' deep. It is a large building so might have to offer pawn to cover overhead??

Just thinking.?.?

And a we-tote-the-note used car lot out front, plus sell a little meth around back.:devil::rolleyes:

I bought a pistol from Ray Carter, when he started doing the whiny dealing, I told him point blank what the pistol went for new at Sportsmen Warehouse and I much rather buy from him. He settled right down and I got a fair price on a very lightly used pistol.

Sometimes, you have to take a couple of steps back when dealing with personalities. Ray is one of those guys. He isn't getting rich with his business, he is trying to survive in a tough economy. He feels the pressures like you and I do when it comes times to pay the bills.

There were days I walked in there and he was in a bad mood, I walked out. There are other days where I walked in and he was very helpful. Nothing personal, I am not wearing his shoes, I can barely wear mine.

As for VOW, I am treated like a good customer there and I do buy a lot from him. There is no sense in getting upset with a high price. You just walk to another cheaper deal. It is their loss. We vote with our dollars. Warren has very fair prices for transfers. Actually one of the pistols I bought from another state was NIB for cheaper than what I paid for ... used!

As for Hal, it is time for him to go. It ain't cause I did not give him several chances.

My first visit to VOW was my last. He was offended that I was looking for a firearm that he didn't have. He also got mad that I was trying to talk to one of his other customers. Skip's is a pleasant experience. I have just had neutral experiences at Carters. I have spent a lot of money at Sportsmans. I know of a great Pawn Shop Wildwood Pawn in Cleveland that prices are right. Cash only+TBI. I just hate Pawn Shops though. I know of a guy on HWY 41 in Jasper that is very kind and prices are great. i haven't had a chance to buy a firearm from him yet but I would like to.

As for Hal, it is time for him to go. It ain't cause I did not give him several chances.

Most people I talk to either like or dislike Hal, I had always heard from my friends that he was a jerk. I went in their for the first time and just looked around and asked for some ammo he didn't have and he treated me like a youngster almost like why would I want Mosin Nagant ammo. He was a jerk that day but I gave him another chance and the next time I went in looking for some AK magazines and luckily he had some super nice East German AK mags he let me buy 4 of them at a very good price. I went in a few more times and talked to him one day for quite awhile about guns and the military. I wish Hal was still in business kinda and kinda not seems alot of people had not so great experience with him. Please excuse my typing I hated English.

My first visit to VOW was my last. He was offended that I was looking for a firearm that he didn't have. He also got mad that I was trying to talk to one of his other customers. Skip's is a pleasant experience. I have just had neutral experiences at Carters. I have spent a lot of money at Sportsmans. I know of a great Pawn Shop Wildwood Pawn in Cleveland that prices are right. Cash only+TBI. I just hate Pawn Shops though. I know of a guy on HWY 41 in Jasper that is very kind and prices are great. i haven't had a chance to buy a firearm from him yet but I would like to.

Valu Pawn in Hixson has always treated me right as far as I'm concerned. The guys that work in there know their guns and are pretty much about right on their prices and they will work with ya a little bit too usually.

Hal was is and always will be a jerk.I have known him for over 20 years.He will take advantage of uniformed customers,whine and cry at IPSC matches when a call does not go his way...I could go on but you get the drift.Yes East Ridge does need a gun shop,Tommy's was the last one there.