Applebees may not be HCP friendly

Guest dizzielizzie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not go around asking restaurants for permission or if they are going to put up signs prohibiting handguns. Most people will forget about all the news and keep on going business as usual. I've never seen a legal sign in Arkansas that says "carrying of a handgun is prohibited" at a restaurant or anywhere for that matter. If you ask...they may put up some sort of sign. If you tell them their sign is not compliant....they'll figure out how to put up a compliant one.

These people are the ones who as kids, at 2:58 on a Friday afternoon would ask the teacher if there was any homework.

Guest bennychaff

I agree, keeping your mouth shut is the best course of action. Why would you point out the sign is improperly posted anyway? Do you not want to be able to carry?

Guest blackbeltchick
I agree, keeping your mouth shut is the best course of action. Why would you point out the sign is improperly posted anyway? Do you not want to be able to carry?

Thats like telling the bad guy who he or she needs to shoot first :D

Guest AmericanWorkMule

A little floor spice makes everything nice, there you go.

MV5BMTk0NjYwOTIyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzcxMzE3._V1._SX485_SY333_.jpg

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
Applebees may not be health friendly
  • Administrator
Doesn't mean it was sound advice. By bringing it to their attention it is entirely possible the may consider posting if they hadn't before. I can see that scenario much more than I can see the opposite.

Yeah, because the vast majority of entrepreneurs who own restaurants and managers who take care of restaurants are both blind and deaf and haven't noticed the media blitzkrieg that has been waged against HB 0962 for the past two months so us asking about it will totally blow our cover and prompt them to post signs all over the place. :D

Give me a friggin break. Your plan seems to consist of ignoring the elephant in the room and hoping it doesn't decide to stampede. My plan cuts the bull**** and just puts it in black and white for the people taking my money.

Oh, I suppose we could just advocate illegal activities like carrying despite what the landowner has requested. Or we could wait and hope that our favorite restaurants don't post, and then fight an uphill battle with the management and/or owners asking them to retract it when they do.

You may not agree and may choose not to ask, and that's your business, but I think your stance is pretty weak. If a restaurant owner who hasn't heard about HB 0962 even exists, the first time one of us carries into his establishment with our sidearm exposed, the gig is going to be up.

• Administrator

Give me a friggin break. Your plan seems to consist of ignoring the elephant in the room and hoping it doesn't decide to stampede. My plan cuts the bull**** and just puts it in black and white for the people taking my money.

Because I've got some time to kill while I sip my coffee, I thought I'd come back to this and expound upon it a little. :)

I refuse to give my money in exchange for goods or services to anyone who is brazen enough to flatly state that they do not want me as a customer. Why the hell would I want to? There are alternative sources for just about any good or service that you can imagine, even if it means going outside the mainstream to get them.

I am not content to sit around and hope that my favorite local restaurant doesn't post that carry is prohibited there. If I dine there for the next three weeks and then suddenly on July 13th a sign appears on their door telling me that I'm not welcome, guess what... I've given them my money for the past three weeks and they're STILL booting me out. Who got the last laugh? Surely wasn't me.

I would rather know right now if I need to start looking for another place to enjoy a nice meal out with my family. And I want that business owner or manager to know right now that if a TCA notice appears on his door next week, I won't be darkening his doorstep or filling his cash register again unless it comes down.

I see no reason to delay asking while hoping that it doesn't happen. While we sit around keeping our thoughts and opinions to ourselves out of fear that we might otherwise rock the boat, you can rest assured that there is probably some hand wringing pansy having the balls that we don't, confronting the management and telling them that they won't be back if they don't post.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Start squeaking! Squeak early and squeak often!

Guest HexHead
If I dine there for the next three weeks and then suddenly on July 13th a sign appears on their door telling me that I'm not welcome, guess what... I've given them my money for the past three weeks and they're STILL booting me out. Who got the last laugh? Surely wasn't me.

And I want that business owner or manager to know right now that if a TCA notice appears on his door next week, I won't be darkening his doorstep or filling his cash register again unless it comes down.

you can rest assured that there is probably some hand wringing pansy having the balls that we don't, confronting the management and telling them that they won't be back if they don't post.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Start squeaking! Squeak early and squeak often!

All compelling points David. You've changed my mind on the issue.

• Administrator

Thanks. Here's the sort of statement that I am making to the manager:

First and foremost, the food and service were both excellent. My wife and I really enjoy dining here and we do so about once every week or so.

* The manager generally thanks me for that and is now a little more relaxed, assured that I didn't ask to speak with him because I wanted to bitch about our experience there. That opening line really makes a difference in how open minded they are going to be. *

I don't know if you've been following the news lately but Tennessee legislature recently passed a law that on July 14th will allow citizens, who have gone through the background checks and training necessary to obtain a handgun carry permit, the ability to lawfully carry a concealed weapon where alcohol is served. Places like your own restaurant.

* Sometimes the manager's ears may be perked up at this point, almost expecting that you're going to tell him how if they allow carry here, you'll never be back. So I don't give them the chance to slip in a word edgewise. I keep going. *

I just wanted to let you know that my wife and I are both in that category of people and we carry concealed pretty much every where we go for our protection and the safety of our loved ones. Cops can't be everywhere all the time, you know. :) <-- A good friendly smile goes a long way here.

We both really hope that your restaurant won't be one of those that refuses service to people with carry permits. I know it's your prerogative to do that if you wish, but I just wanted to let you know that as long as you don't, you will continue to have us as faithful patrons of your restaurant.

I know you probably have to deal with your fair share of complaints and gripey people as the manager here, so again I just wanted to thank you for the excellent experience here today and just let you know that you've got our support if you decide not to prohibit legal carry here.

From that point forward it's the manager's ball game. I've told them what I think, I've expressed my sincere hope that they won't leave me hanging out in the wind, and I've told them what they can expect if they post a notice that I can't carry there. And I did it without being a douche, without making threats and withing causing a scene.

If the manager elects to comment, fine. A lot of times they won't. They will just thank me for being there tonight and thank me for voicing my concerns. But they will be thinking about it later and hopefully since I came across like a reasonable, articulate human being with common sense, it will have abated some of their concerns about gun owners -- if they had any.

Guest waffenldr

Ate @ Applebees once. Parked in a take out parking spot by accident. The manager came out and told me I would have to move my car. The lot was nearly empty. I told him I would move the car. So I moved the car across the street to the Chili's.

Ate @ Applebees once. Parked in a take out parking spot by accident. The manager came out and told me I would have to move my car. The lot was nearly empty. I told him I would move the car. So I moved the car across the street to the Chili's.

That's telling em. LOL.

You were upset with the manager because you did something wrong?

Not sure I can say I understand your logic.

With that being said, you made the right choice by eating at Chili's. It's far better than Appleskee's.

Guest resobubba
Got a suggestion. Quit asking the restaurants about this. Leave it alone. It get's them thinking. Kinda like pointing out non complying signage.

Sure, if you see proper posting, bring it to the attention of the operator that you will not patrionize the establishment and will encourage your friends to go elsewhere. JMHO.

THAT'S A FACT, JACK!!!!!!!!!!!

And would add this…

I would make sure they know that you support HC. Don’t leave them guessing why you are asking.

I personally think it’s ridiculous to threaten them with losing your money; we don’t have the numbers to worry anyone. Those that have an opinion will make it based on the issue. Those that haven’t decided yet might respond better to reason and a good explanation than to idle threats.

But as I said before if they serve booze; I’m drinking. So I’m not carrying anyway and leaving security up to you teetotalers. :P

:wall:

Guest KevinM

I personally think it’s ridiculous to threaten them with losing your money; we don’t have the numbers to worry anyone.

Don't know about that. Permit holders are primarily middle class property owners, by and large (people with money). I believe that having to post is one of the reasons some restaurantours are pushing Metro to pass an ordinance circumventing the new law.

They don't want to have to admit that they don't trust law abiding permit holders. This is all politically motivated. If they truly cared about public safety they would do something about the establishments that enable and overlook drunk driving.

Guest slothful1
I personally think it’s ridiculous to threaten them with losing your money; we don’t have the numbers to worry anyone.

According to that logic, a restaurant owner/manager would never bother trying to satisfy any person or party.

Don't know about that. Permit holders are primarily middle class property owners, by and large (people with money). I believe that having to post is one of the reasons some restaurantours are pushing Metro to pass an ordinance circumventing the new law.

If you to want believe that HCP holders have some kind of clout as group; go for it. I see no indication that business owners want Metro to do their dirty work for them; this is just some Metro politicians looking for a way to circumvent a law they don’t like.

If they truly cared about public safety they would do something about the establishments that enable and overlook drunk driving.

They are working on that. You aren’t old enough to remember what the night life use to be like.

The state has also made restaurants safe for you by being willing to trample the rights of businesses owners on the smoking issue. They know what is best for you.

I’ll bet you were okay with banning smoking in restaurants. :wall:

According to that logic, a restaurant owner/manager would never bother trying to satisfy any person or party.

Apples and oranges. (or no logic)

It isn’t a matter of trying to “satisfy†anyone. There is a clearly drawn line in the sand; you are on one side of it or the other.

Guest HexHead
If you to want believe that HCP holders have some kind of clout as group; go for it. I see no indication that business owners want Metro to do their dirty work for them; this is just some Metro politicians looking for a way to circumvent a law they don’t like.

Not according to my conversation with Charlie Tygard. We discussed his being approached by several restaurant owners who would have preferred not having to post their establishment and turn off potential customers. They would have much preferred the city to do their dirty work for them with a blanket ban so they could keep their hands clean.

We joked about the best solution would be the restaurants to post just a circle/ slash sign to keep the soccer moms happy, and that would be disregarded as improper signs with no force of law by those carrying concealed. Win/win and everyone would be happy. :wall:

Not according to my conversation with Charlie Tygard. We discussed his being approached by several restaurant owners who would have preferred not having to post their establishment and turn off potential customers. They would have much preferred the city to do their dirty work for them with a blanket ban so they could keep their hands clean.

While this may be true, it sure doesn't make any sense. He's saying that some places don't want to have to post for image reason, so those places are trying to get the city to make everyone post. But, that means the places that didn't want to post for image reasons would still have to post - thus giving the exact effect they are claiming they want to avoid?? :wall: