Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting - Chattanooga

Randy, what do you know about this?

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=299

October 6-7, 2007

Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting

Chattanooga, TN

The AK-47/74 series of rifle is one of the most prolific and useful weapons on earth. Close to 100 million have been made in various parts of the world and anyone's chances of encountering these weapons is high. Moreover, the Kalashnikov is our choice of rifle for its utility, accuracy and general ruggedness. This special course will take a close look at the Kalashnikov Rifle System and train with it in both the standard "urban rifle" engagement as well as in the Close Range Gunfighting matrix.

Duration: 2 days 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM

Ammunition: Approximately 500 rounds (Minimum)

Requirements: AK-47 Type Rifle, Three AK Magazines, and Ancillary Rifle Gear. Pistol, Carry Holster, 3 Magazines and Magazine Pouch, Range Safety Gear, and any other personal items.

Instructor: Sonny Puzikas

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the review is interesting:

In such advanced training, it is impossible to avoid being swept by a gun muzzle. It is also not possible to place each student in a bulletproof box. As a result, AK muzzles were pointed at various body parts frequently. Such violations of the cardinal gun safety rules are usually never tolerated. Each student cleared his or her weapon and verified it with another classmate for every drill. Trust was rapidly established between the participants and chamber checks were performed immediately and without complaint. This was advanced training conducted under the watchful eyes of experienced instructors (including many of the students). It did take some time to get used to, but at some point I became acutely aware of the location of my rifle's muzzle. Looking back on this drill (and subsequent ones), I feel that my awareness for safety has increased as a result of this class.

The last few drills involved introducing stress into our live fire drills. We had to perform with rounds going downrange from slightly behind us. I distinctly remember the blast of several rounds coming several feet from behind my left shoulder as I fumbled a reload. The best way to make this go away was to finish the reload and engage the target. I did so with motivated alacrity. The terrorist with the claymore and deadman switch was totally perforated by 30 caliber bullets.

Hey Mars, I just now saw your question in the opening line of post #1.

I'm actually hosting this class. I lobbied hard to get a Kalashnikov Gunfighting class here at my place, and you don't get to take an AK class from a real live Russian Spetsnaz operator every day.

There are still some spots available. The class he taught with Gabe in Arizona sold out last year , and the one in Houston in May did too. This will be the first one he has done in the south east so if AK is of interest and especially FIGHTING with an AK (even if it is using it as an impact weapon) then this is the class.

I'm psyched.

Randy, I figured you had to be hosting it. I looked at your range on satellite not too long ago, but the resolution for that area isn't too good.

In all honesty, the review turned me off. The idea of neophyte AKers sweeping me with their muzzle and firing from behind me is something I'd rather not experience.

Sounds like Sonny knows his stuff though.

If I can confirm my availability for those days, I plan on attending. I look forward to training with an actual Spetsnaz operator. I should be able to confirm within the next 2 weeks, hopefully there will still be a spot available.

I'm with Mars on that one...besides, In the Army we learned to defeat soviet tactics and did so on a regular basis both in Fort Ord as well as in Germany where there was still a border up.

Tower, the point is not learning soviet military doctrine. No one doubts the US army would prevail against a 14th century Samurai army either,but it would be interesting to see a real samurai demonstrate their manual of arms for use of the katana, bow and spear and empty hands. And armies fighting each other has virtually nothing to do with how the individual weapon system is run or with how I would be employing said system as a private citizen.

The point of interest is to work the AK system with someone who has actually used it in battle , while playing for the the team that invented it, and get their take on how to run it. While it is not going to likely change my own AK manual of arms, it will be interesting to see how they do it, taught by someone who has done it for them. And seeing Sonny's take on using the AK as an impact weapon/blunt trauma instrument is also something that most folks don't get to see everyday.

I'm not trying to be a jackass, but whether we would beat the Russians in a combined arms conflict (which is what we do better than ANYONE else's military) really has nothing to do with getting a better idea of how their special units run their indigenous equipment.It would be similar to a Russian citizen getting a chance to take an AR class from a Green Beret or a SEAL.

And Mars, I got the idea that the fire from behind was provided by Gabe ,Sonny and Gomez -not other students. I think it was just ambiguously worded. And all the "muzzle sweeping"in the movement drill was done with empty guns.That was the point of the "checking to make sure they were unloaded" part. It is just like when we work disarm drills with triple checked empty live guns that are taped shut to eliminate the possibility of them being cycled and loaded.

And Urse, we'll be glad to have you!

And armies fighting each other has virtually nothing to do with how the individual weapon system is run or with how I would be employing said system as a private citizen.

I would disagree with that statement. the most basic unit of an army is its riflemen...ergo sum, the ak 47 would be used in BOTH scenarios for the same basic purpose.. yours would just get cleaned more:D

The point of interest is to work the AK system with someone who has actually used it in battle , while playing for the the team that invented it, and get their take on how to run it.

Now that would be worthwhile in my opinion!

there are always tips to be learned by the originator of the weapon.

While it is not going to likely change my own AK manual of arms,

I would tend to disagree!! if the guy knows what he's talking about, I'm willing to bet that some of the ways that you use your weapon will change. I'm not saying that you're going to run up behind someone and burn their neck:taser: but I'm willing to bet that you will take some things away from the training.

it will be interesting to see how they do it, taught by someone who has done it for them. And seeing Sonny's take on using the AK as an impact weapon/blunt trauma instrument is also something that most folks don't get to see everyday.

I guess we come from 2 different schools of thought concerning the AK. I don't much care for them as I value accuracy over volume of fire...

Have fun at the class! let us know how it goes:)

Randy, thanks for clearing up some of my misunderstanding about the muzzle sweeping part. I still think that anyone at a civilian training course firing from behind the participants is dumb. S.h.i.t happens you know.

I'm pretty much with Tower on this. Working with Spetsnaz folks doesn't impress me a whole lot. I've worked with our SF folks since 1969. While I was not SF, they did train me. We have a deal. We each have our own skill sets. I don't try to do their job and they don't try to do mine. Well...maybe a little. :D

I'm also not that fond of the AK as a weapon. They are cheap, reliable, have enough power, and are sufficiently accurate for close work. But if AKs are your thing, it should be a fun class.

I guess what bothers me is that Sonny seems to be into heavy self-promotion, like a lot of gun training school folks. I get a bit wary of people like that. Generally, the best "operators" are the quietest about what they can do. We have a local guy who trains SF personnel every year in martial arts techniques and jungle survival. The Army sends the SF folks to him. You'd never know it just talking to him. He's the antithesis of the blow-hard self promoter. He's just damn good.

But I'll bet your clients have a ball with the course. Urse, hope you make the course and will give us a review.

I have been eyeballing this one for several months actually. Unfortunately my schedule is constantly in flux. It looks like I will be able to attend but that is subject to change. If I do I am quite sure it will be a blast(I hear it's a pretty good workout to). I will definately report back if I go except for any commie/red secrets you people aren't worthy of knowing.:D

I will definately report back if I go except for any commie/red secrets you people aren't worthy of knowing.:up:

As long as you don't get up on a soap box advocating sedition or treason like THIS guy, I won't have to taser you and toss you in the river!:up:

Him, I'd like to shoot outright.

Other than that...I hope that the course turns out to be worthwhile! I may not care for that particular weapons platform, but there's no denying that its effective in its own category...more so than the AR's!

Tower, I was a little ambiguous with my post on the doubting it would change the manual of arms. I didn't mean that to sound like thought I wouldn't learn anything. On the contrary I'm all fired up about the "impact weapon/hand to hand" stuff.

I meant I have a pretty refined and robust set of AK operating skills for loading ,unloading , reloading and firing the weapon. I'm definitely not one of those who says "AKs suck because they are not ergonomic". I have a well refined way of running it that eliminates all that drama. As far as making it operate I'm pretty comfortable. I am not sure how much of that will change, but a more refined skillset of using it as an impact weapon is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

• 5 weeks later...