Anyone hunting coyotes in SE TN

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a local municipality, and we have very frequent reports of coyotes watching young children in their back yards. My mayor has given me a year round pass on shooting them.

Mayor Young? Last I heard, you get hauled off if you open fire up here on the mountain. The News reports (usually propaganda, anyway) is that it is still ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm inside city limits.

we hunt them quite a bit up here north and east of Knoxville. lots of guys have started hunting them and our numbers of them are going way down...which alot of farmers think is a good thing. its definately been tougher hunting them now with more people after them...it used to be real easy but not anymore...in the past three years my hunting group has probably killed 600 or more...

Guest m4coyote

I live on Signal Mountain, but work for another local municipality. The combination of my 16" CZ 452 and Tactical Innovations Stratus suppressor is very effective and makes little to no noise. Head shots out to 50 yards are quite easy so long as I use a bipod or decent rest. So far, I have not lost one yet.

Guest m4coyote

My CZ 452 really likes PMC Moderator subsonic rounds. With the Stratus suppressor attached, you can literally hear the firing pin hit the cartridge. The sound of the bullet striking the target is quite a bit louder than the noise from the gun.

I have been using a Johnny Stewart Attractor to do my calling. The Attractor costs about $30.00, is remote controlled, small & light weight, and is easily set up & transported.

I have been finding coyotes by scouting for sign in areas that my police buddies tell me that they see them regularly cross the road. I then set up an hour or so before sun down, and wait until I actually hear them trotting in the woods before I turn on the attractor. Almost always, they will come in for a look. If the shot is questionable, I do not take it. If the right opportunity presents itself, then the city has one less coyote to worry about. I only go for head shots with the little .22 LR, and it does the job.

Guest m4coyote

I have been actively hunting coyotes for about twenty years now, so I don't actually know the total number I have killed. This year, I have killed five so far. I quit hunting them when the temperatures brought out the mosquitoes and ticks. I have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and never want to experience anything like that again. I will start hunting them again in the cool temps of the fall.

There is nothing easy about coyote hunting around here. It takes dedication and persistence to score some kills. Use everything you can to fool their ultra sharp senses. I always dress in full camo - including gloves and face mask, and take advantage of a powerful cover scent. My favorite was a two part product called Skunk Skreen, but I do not know if it is available any more. I hope so, because I am just about out of it.

Another thing you may try is to gather road kill, and "feed" them for a while or two. If you get them accustomed to coming to a "safe" place for a while, they will be less suspicious about anything being "wrong". Actually any kind of meat will do, and that includes dinner scraps, slaughter house left overs, and discarded fish. I found a ready supply of fish at the Chickamauga Dam. Just go over there with a five gallon bucket and collect the Hickory Shad that fishermen throw on the rocks. Another good method that has produced results for me is to place a pail of chicken livers in the sun for about three days, then take it to your spot and dump them where you want to make your shot. Those things become very powerful smelling, and can be detected from a long distance.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest billwilly73

What caliber gun would y'all recomend???? What about a .17 HMR with Hornady V-Max bullets? the smallest centerfire rifle I have is a M77 25/06 and the largest would be the Marlin Lever Action in .444

I would like to get one close enough to take it with my 44 mag Super Blackhawk

my neighbor about 1/2 mi. away swears he saw a cougar in his back yard just before christmas this last year. i thought all bobcats had a stubby tail. this cat had a tail almost as long as its body and was as big as a fairly large dog.

Yeah, people have been saying that since 1920.

Only, there aren't any.

- OS

There WERE cougars in Tennessee. My father has seen and heard them in Wayne Co. back in the 40s and 50s.

Them painters are mighty elusive allright.

Since no verifiable kills since early 1900's in TN.

Doesn't keep folks from continuing to "see" them.

- OS