Non legal signage, ignoring it?

I've read several comments about this, and didn't want to derail those threads. Essentially, a lot of folks have stated that if a business posts a non- compliant "No Guns" sign, they'd just ignore it and conceal well. While that is technically legal, my question is why? The business has made a statement that they don't want your business if you're carrying. Personally, I tend to stay out of places that I'm not wanted, and keep my money with me. There are lots of places to go out to eat, I can find one that isn't posted.

What's the flip side of this? Why ignore the signs, other than just because they're not legal?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- You might be with other people who picked the place, if a restaurant.

- The store might have something you can't easily get anywhere else, or get anywhere else at all.

- It's a long way back to the car, or you're on foot.

- You know the sign is likely a corporate decision and not the store operator's decision.

- You didn't even notice the sign.

- You don't really give a good goldurn.

- OS

Guest Hornet Handler

Becuase the sheeple don't know the differance. They feel better.

We know the differance and can ignore it. We feel better.

Until someone runs their suck!

Guest Seminole

Because it may be intentionally non-compliant in order to give warm fuzzies to people who don't know any better while allowing HCP holders legal access.

- You might be with other people who picked the place, if a restaurant.

- The store might have something you can't easily get anywhere else, or get anywhere else at all.

- It's a long way back to the car, or you're on foot.

- You know the sign is likely a corporate decision and not the store operator's decision.

- You didn't even notice the sign.

- You don't really give a good goldurn.

- OS

^^^What he said^^^

Because it may be intentionally non-compliant in order to give warm fuzzies to people who don't know any better while allowing HCP holders legal access.

I've always heard this and I don't doubt one or two places may have done this, but I figure it is very, very rare.

I've always heard this and I don't doubt one or two places may have done this, but I figure it is very, very rare.

I think it may become more common, though. At this point, most owners are going to have access to resources (like Tennessee Hospitality Association) that will tell them exactly what the sign needs to say, and how it is to be displayed, to be compliant. If the sign is non-compliant after all that, they are either abysmally ignorant, or playing both sides of the fence. OMO, YMMV.

As to the OP's question, for me it will probably depend upon the points OhShoot noted.

Guest savvysteve

Well, I concur that I don't like to go places I am not wanted. If handgun owners all over the state would take a stand and make it a point to ask for a manager and explain to them why you are not dining at his establishment he may think twice. It will require everyone to do this. Eventually things might change.

I have noticed many places that have the proper signs but they are not visible at the front door. In fact they are above eye level at the cash register... So you have already eaten before you knew you shouldn't have carried. Honestly you may not have known the place sells alcohol... like Moe's (semi-fast food mexican place)

Let your money do the talking. So if all the mexican places decide to post properly it will be no more fajitas for me. :-)

About the only way i will go to a improperly posted place is if other people involved and even that is rare. That applies if i am carrying or not.

Like a few others said I'm just not willing to give my money to them. And i try to make a point to let them know they lost my business over it.

Guest HexHead
Some smart entrepreneur will develop a sign package that's been vetted legally and will be selling them. Even door to door.

I said that like a month ago. Some enterprising sign maker will make signs and have his sales people hitting the streets. If I had a sign shop I'd sure as hell be doing that.

And no, I didn't mention it to my buddy that owns a sign shop. ;)

Edited by HexHead
Guest HexHead

I have noticed many places that have the proper signs but they are not visible at the front door. In fact they are above eye level at the cash register... So you have already eaten before you knew you shouldn't have carried. Honestly you may not have known the place sells alcohol... like Moe's (semi-fast food mexican place)

Those are the old signs and they will still be around, for the non-HCP holders. They just won't apply to us. For the sign that applies to us, it has to be at the entrance. Don't get the signs confused. The language of them is very different.

Guest savvysteve
And no, I didn't mention it to my buddy that owns a sign shop. :D

+1 on that. I have a client that does signs but not sure he has the capacity to make them... will not divulge that info to him.;)

As a LEO, HCP Holder and overall Pro-2nd Amendment feller, I would strongly caution anyone from going against a sign that does not meet the "letter" of the law. Sure, common sense tells us that if the sign is not legal, then by carrying, you are not breaking the law. However, the way this great state operates, judges get to make the final call, with little to no oversight. My point is, everyone must make their own decision on how far they are willing to go to exercise their right. Case in point... a sign is posted on an establishment, but it does not meet the legal requirements, though the intent is clear; can you still be entered into the criminal justice system (arrest, court, etc)? Sure you can...even though it may not be exactly lawful...but do you really want to go through that hassle and possible expense... all for the judge to decide that the establishment's sign was articulate enough to establish intent?

Again, just throwing this out there. Each person needs to make their own decision based upon how far they are willing to go with the possible consequences. I just don't want folks to be so brazen and think that the signage will be an air-tight defense. To my knowledge there is no case law regarding this...and would like to keep it that way. :dirty:

Sage advise eehlert.

I have seen judges let people go for clear violations of the law, so there is every reason to think the opposite can happen, especially when the law itself leaves a lot open to interpritation.

On a realted note....I would give very serious thought before I carried past any signs newly posted at a restaurant, even if it's not legal. They would just be looking for some reason to stir things up again.

Guest foister82
I said that like a month ago. Some enterprising sign maker will make signs and have his sales people hitting the streets. If I had a sign shop I'd sure as hell be doing that.

Here's the sign i'll be selling from now on.

goodccwsign.jpg

Edited by foister82
changed the sign