Bill passes to close local loophole on Restaurant bill

The Senate and House both passed the Confrence Committee Majority Report yesterday of HB0898

The report recomends House Amendment 1 and Senate Amendment 2 be adopted.

House Amendment 1 is what will allow LEOs to carry where alcohol is served for onsite consumption.

Seneate Amendment 2 is what closes any possiable loophole.

It says...

Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305, is amended

by adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated subsection:

( )

(1) Notwithstanding any provision of title 57 or any other law to the contrary, no entity of state or local government is authorized to:

(A) Refuse the issuance or renewal of any permit or license to sell beer, wine, or alcoholic beverages;

(
:death:
Suspend or revoke any such permit or license; or

© Otherwise discriminate against the holder of, or applicant for, any such permit or license; based solely upon conduct or activity that is lawful under this section or § 39-17-1359.

(2) As used in this subsection “discriminate against†includes, but is not limited to, requiring additional information in the permit or license application, charging a higher fee, requiring additional inspections, or restricting otherwise available locations.

On a side note...apparently LEOs will not be limted to only restaurants as far as carry.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news. I wonder if an enterprising legal sort could construct an argument that any type of resolution or public stance espoused by a city council, mayor etc in their official position could be construed as an attempt to "discriminate against", in that such a statement coming from the same official body that otherwise regulates sale of beer, wine etc carries undue weight due to implied repercussions...

Guest justme

this is what has become of a campus carry bill that would have permitted permit holders to carry into post secondary institutions in the state....

The Senate and House both passed the Confrence Committee Majority Report yesterday of HB0898

The report recomends House Amendment 1 and Senate Amendment 2 be adopted.

House Amendment 1 is what will allow LEOs to carry where alcohol is served for onsite consumption.

Seneate Amendment 2 is what closes any possiable loophole...

This is only a recommendation, yes?

So won't get acted upon till next session?

- OS

Guest 3pugguy
:D:clap:

Now Mr. Dread has no leg to stand on trying to weasel around it - hopefully....B)

Dread or his equally lame partner in ridiculousness. Hard to believe someone with the mental capacity to pass a bar exam (I am assuming his status as a member of the TN Bar) could be so wrong-headed.

Glad to see this type of action by our elected officials.

Everyone needs to be aware, that if a property is "Posted", this law, along with HB 0962 still does not give the permit holder, (or LEO except in the performance of their "Official Duty" i.e. investigation of a crime), the right to carry in said establishment.

Everyone needs to be aware, that if a property is "Posted", this law, along with HB 0962 still does not give the permit holder, (or LEO except in the performance of their "Official Duty" i.e. investigation of a crime), the right to carry in said establishment.

I believe that has been widely discussed in seveal other threads....

Guest canynracer

Wait...you mean, I cant carry my AR with loaded mags into a bar as long as I dont have a round in the chamber? :)

i kid i kid...thanks.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Wait...you mean, I cant carry my AR with loaded mags into a bar as long as I dont have a round in the chamber? :doh:

i kid i kid...thanks.

:);):screwy:

Captain Obvious: Defender of the Known! Sorry just pokin fun at you, but yea we are all very aware.

Captain Obvious: Defender of the Known! Sorry just pokin fun at you, but yea we are all very aware.

Sorry for coming late to the party, just trying to read and learn as much as possible. I had a discussion this weekend with a high ranking Deputy Sheriff from a Mid-TN county who assured me that the passage of HB0898 removed the restriction for LEO's to carry where alcohol was served, on duty or off, posted venue or not. Not every one is fully informed on the new laws, (I count myself among that number, but I try to cure my ignorance through education) some of them wear badges and carry bracelets that have keys to unlock them.

From Fallguy: Well it also removes the restriction for LEOs on carry where alcohol is served for oniste consumption.

I was not aware this was a "you understood" statement, guess I am a little dense, I take things printed as literal. I will try to be more circumspect in my post from now on.