from rodents to birds

Well since the chipmunks seem to be under control now we have moved onto to other things.

Seems that in the last month or so bird have taken up residence in my chimney. There must be a bunch of baby birds in there. All day long we go through cycles of quiet then utter chaos of chirping. About every 10 minutes or so the cycle restarts. I have tried watching but have not seen any birds exit the chimney. I do not think they are causing damage, but I have about had enough of it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get them out short of starting a fire in the fireplace and opening up the damper?

I mentioned fire and my the wifey told me to do what I want, but no fires while she is at home. Anyway she is going to Cincinnati 4th of July weekend. So I have until then to get them out peacable like. After that it is death by fire.

anyone know how ling baby birds are nested until they can fly? If they can fly I can maybe smoke them out with a wet wood fire.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... maybe an airhorn blast would force them to evacuate, but I think they would still return in their nest was in tact.

Perhaps you could throw a flash-bang in there and clean up house with a Daisy Tactical Entry Red Ryder?

Guest mustangdave

Smoke em if you gotta...how about open the damper...one 12 guage round of reduced recoil bird shot...up the chimney...problem solved...and no FIRE

My guess is you are hearing them at feeding time when mom brings a fresh worm or bug. If you start the fire you'll probably kill the young birds as they will not be able to vacate the nest. Let them go a week or so and they'll be gone. Turn on a radio or create some "white noise" of some kind in the mean time.

oldogy

Went back and reread the OP. When they fledge, they will be gone for good. You need a screen on the chimney to prevent them from returning.

Generally, it's the baby birds making all the noise. You can wait a few more weeks until they are old enough to fly out on their own, or you can attempt to remove them yourself.

The nest is likely on the top of the damper, so you may be able to reach up and pull it out by hand. If the flue is made of square or rectangle clay liners, there is also a chance the nest was built in one of the corners of the liner. Using a garden hoe or something similar may be an option to scoop them out.

When I used to re-line chimneys, we would often run into this problem. We were almost always able to remove the birds without starting a fire, but you may have little option.

Get on the roof with a good flashlight. You may be able to see them and work out a plan of action. Once you've removed the birds, a chimney cap is a good idea.

Guest canynracer

dont use a full fire...just smoke them out... then, you need a screen on top of your chimeny.

you could always light one of your rodent buddies on fire and send him up...LOL

Guest SUNTZU

Get a pet snake, maybe one of OhShoots water moccasins he has around his place. :D If you need an extension ladder, I can bring one over when you're ready to screen the chimbley.

Get a pet snake, maybe one of OhShoots water moccasins he has around his place. :D...

Borrow a python or boa from Bkelm. Easier to keep track of.

I'd just let them cheep for a week or two...actually, seems kinda late in the season for baby boids - maybe they're something rare, like condors or something. Geez, maybe even chimney swifts.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Borrow a python or boa from Bkelm. Easier to keep track of.

I'd just let them cheep for a week or two...actually, seems kinda late in the season for baby boids - maybe they're something rare, like condors or something. Geez, maybe even chimney swifts.

- OS

Don't drag me into this genocide of baby birds. I will have no part of it! Unless you toss in some BBQ sauce, then I may be interested.... :D

I think they are Martins but I am not really sure. I thought I saw some coming and going early this afternoon, and what I saw were martins.

I had also been thinking it was late in the season for pups