Can I carry at our county fair?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairgrounds are usually privately owned, so if is indeed privately owned, and it's not posted, and alcohol isn't served (I haven't been to a fair where alcohol is served), you should be able to legally carry.

The biggest thing here is finding out who owns the grounds the fair is being held on.

In Memphis, we had a beer tent at our fair (the last time I went 10 years ago.) Now, I wouldn't be caught dead going to the fair for being found dead near my car near the fair.

Oh well, as long as it isn't posted and isn't on grounds deemed "hallowed" by the State of TN or your city, you should be okay.

Guest ETS_Inc

con-ceal (con-cealed, con-ceal-ing, con-ceals)

To keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered; hide.

(American Heritage Dictionary)

concealed (adjective)

1) Not accessible to view; "concealed (or hidden) damage"; "in stormy weather the stars are out of sight"

2) Hidden on any grounds for any motive; "a concealed weapon"; "a concealed compartment in his briefcase"

(WordNet)

Here's what some of the related laws say:

"On the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes."

That seems fairly clear. If the property is owned or operated by any goverment agency, it's off limits. "Recreational" may be the only ambigious part of that, although, in my personal opinion, a fair would be considered a recreational activity. If it's owned and/or operated by an individual or a private company, this law wouldn't apply, but they could post signs if they chose to.

The "alcohol" law specifies "within the confines of a building" however, if they sell beer, I wouldn't recommend hoping for that to be a loophole.

Robbiev, no offense, but it isn't clear, at least in the sense you mean it, about carrying handguns in parks at all. You left out a very important part of the law.

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. -

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons. -

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose.

Nothing about handguns in that list, and licensed handgun carry for protection is, IMHO a lawful purpose. It seems fairly obvious that the intention of the lawmakers was to allow licensed handgun carry in city parks. But cities are ignoring the lack of lack of handguns on the 39-17-1302(a) list. That's why we need either an AG ruling or a change in the law. I prefer the AG ruling. I suspect that a law change might not be in our favor.

Guest Kingfish
That's why we need either an AG ruling or a change in the law. I prefer the AG ruling. I suspect that a law change might not be in our favor.

Mars, weren't you going to get with Sen. Ramsey to see if he will ask for an AG opinion?

Robbiev, no offense, but it isn't clear, at least in the sense you mean it, about carrying handguns in parks at all. You left out a very important part of the law....

...Nothing about handguns in that list...

Apparently, the information I had was outdated or incorrect. The info I had specifically stated "firearm" instead of "any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a)"

I'm assuming it was a copy of the old law, but it may simply be something that was wrong.

Note also that it doesn't say we can't carry a rifle there. It says a "A short-barrel rifle or shotgun". Short-barrel. Looks to me like it was intended to add a charge for "gangstas" in Memphis or Nashville.

I think the intention of the law is clear, but cities like Bristol don't see it that way. Maybe I could let them arrest me, sue them, and retire again.

Guest ETS_Inc
Thanks everyone for all the input and info, I will take all of this into account when we go. I'll take the fifth as to whether or not I will carry there for risk of incriminating myself!

Best answer I've seen online in along time.

In Memphis, we had a beer tent at our fair (the last time I went 10 years ago.) Now, I wouldn't be caught dead going to the fair for being found dead near my car near the fair.

Oh well, as long as it isn't posted and isn't on grounds deemed "hallowed" by the State of TN or your city, you should be okay.

Memphis still has a fair? I thought it was crunk fest:confused:

• 1 month later...
Guest canynracer

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose.

Nothing about handguns in that list, and licensed handgun carry for protection is, IMHO a lawful purpose. It seems fairly obvious that the intention of the lawmakers was to allow licensed handgun carry in city parks. But cities are ignoring the lack of lack of handguns on the 39-17-1302(a) list. That's why we need either an AG ruling or a change in the law. I prefer the AG ruling. I suspect that a law change might not be in our favor.

umm ok I am an idiot that cant read law mumbo jumbo really well, but doesnt a handgun fall under number 8? it will cause serious injury or death...just curious