Restaurants posted in Memphis

Guest crotalus01

Guest crotalus01

Just wanted to list the restaurants I have seen posted in Memphis (all improperly posted FYI):

Molly's La Casita

The Blue Monkey (Midtown and Germantown locations)

Le Chardonnay (shame as it used to be a favorite of mine)

Ruby Tuesdays (Winchester location, supposedly Corporate decision but they are not posted in any other state with Restaurant carry laws:screwy:)

Bayou Bar and Grill

Beale Street (supposedly the whole PUBLIC street is off-limits for HCPers, I am strongly considering a court challenge on this one)

Waffle House (all locations, Corporate policy)

Gun FRIENDLY restaurants:

Barksdales (I eat there almost every Monday open carrying, noone has a problem with it - never had a word said to me about it including by Bob the owner)

IHOP (maybe not friendly per se, but I eat there OCing and never been an issue)

CKs (same as IHOP)

Please fellow Memfricans (and visitors), contact these establishments and let them know you will NOT darken their doors until these (non legally binding) signs are down.

Conversely please reward the establishments that respect our right to self defense (Barksdales has awesome food BTW, CKs and IHOP not so much but still support them)...

Edited by crotalus01
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a list of restraunts that have posted properly (or even improperly)? And if they are posted improperly, can we still carry in that restraunt?

There is no database for just restaurants, however you can check our database here I would encourage everyone to help update the database when you find a place that is posted.

If a place is posted improperly...then it is not "illegal" if you carry there. But if you are made then you more than likely will be told to leave.

Two notes....what a "proper" posting is could be decided by a LEO, judge or jury not just by you or the owner. Also more specifically on restaurants. With all the media attention this law has got, I don't think the media would make the distinction between a proper or improper posting if someone was made in a restaurant that had posted. They would simply say something like "Supposedly law abiding HCP holder still carrys in posted restaurant."

Guest HexHead

Two notes....what a "proper" posting is could be decided by a LEO, judge or jury not just by you or the owner. Also more specifically on restaurants. With all the media attention this law has got, I don't think the media would make the distinction between a proper or improper posting if someone was made in a restaurant that had posted. They would simply say something like "Supposedly law abiding HCP holder still carrys in posted restaurant."

"Hey, I thought since they spent money on a clearly non-compliant sign, they were just trying to placate fearful soccer moms?"

That would be my defense. LOLOLOL

Guest redbarron06
Two notes....what a "proper" posting is could be decided by a LEO, judge or jury not just by you or the owner.

This is not accurite. The TCA is specific and the AG has given an opinion of what has to be dont in order to legally post an establishment. I carry a pocket version of the ruling and of that part of the TCA with me.

That being said if they ask you to leave and you do not then you are tresspassing and can be arrested for that.

Guest redbarron06
Waffle House (all locations, Corporate policy)

I have yet to see a Waffle house posted.

They have too many cops eating there in the middle of the night.:D

Guest pjblurton
I have yet to see a Waffle house posted.

They have too many cops eating there in the middle of the night.:D

Waffle House has had signs in the parking lot for a couple of years at least. They are non-compliant signs, but signs none the less...

This is not accurite. The TCA is specific and the AG has given an opinion of what has to be dont in order to legally post an establishment. I carry a pocket version of the ruling and of that part of the TCA with me.

That being said if they ask you to leave and you do not then you are tresspassing and can be arrested for that.

You should pull your copy of the TCA out and look at it again then. The law itself says "substantially similar" that is far from specific. AFAIK there has been no court case to help define what substantially similar is. The AG has issued some opinions on what is not substantially similar in some cases, but that by no means cover all possibilities.

Now if I see a sign, I can tell whether I think it is in compliance or not and if I feel it's not, I know how I would argue my point to whoever I may need to. My point simply was...that you may have to express your point as to why you thought it was non-compliant to someone of authority.

Also...on restaurants...my main point was compliant or not, even just a "No Guns" with the slash symbol pretty much tells you the owners intent...so while on July 14, 2010 it may not be a big deal....on July 14, 2009 it's not going to make a difference to some what a compliant or non-compliant sign was if you knowingly went against the owner's wishes.

That being said...there are many factors that determine where and how I carry....the TCA is just one of those factors. As my friend DaveTN says (who I do disagree with at times, but always agree on this point) everyone just needs to make an informed decision.

Guest ncc74656b
If a place is posted improperly...then it is not "illegal" if you carry there.

I'm not too sure of this. I was told that if a business relays to it's customers that firearms are not welcome, then firearms are off-limits on the premises.

If I walk into a store and a store manager sees (or is aware of) my "concealed" weapon, then they can verbally tell me that guns are not welcome. I'm obligated to leave immediately.

Guest benchpresspower

Apparently it seems only Memphis is having an issue with posting. I haven't seen any restaurants in the local Metro Nashville are posted, YET anyways.

I'm not too sure of this. I was told that if a business relays to it's customers that firearms are not welcome, then firearms are off-limits on the premises.

If I walk into a store and a store manager sees (or is aware of) my "concealed" weapon, then they can verbally tell me that guns are not welcome. I'm obligated to leave immediately.

You are right...

My point is/was that's it not illegal to simply enter a place if it is not properly posted. But yes...even if a place is not posted at all, you must leave if the property owner tells you to.

Guest HexHead
Apparently it seems only Memphis is having an issue with posting. I haven't seen any restaurants in the local Metro Nashville are posted, YET anyways.

Maybe the restauranteur *******s here are counting on an injunction to do their dirty work for them?

You are confusing the legality the sign holds with Criminal trespass law. If an owner or their representative at any establishment asks you to leave you MUST or be charged with CT, but only a legal "No Carry" sign carries a penalty of law as soon as you walk past it.

Guest benchpresspower
Maybe the restauranteur *******s here are counting on an injunction to do their dirty work for them?

You got a point there. It boggles my mind that they don't even want to give this a chance. I guess they're gonna be pouring on the heat now that we are right at 2 weeks away from legal carry.

Guest 270win

I would conceal my handgun when entering a restaurant right now in Tennessee, especially one that sells alcohol, and especially one that has what may be a non legal sign. I carry a J frame hammerless airweight in a pocket holster and it has been a joy everywhere I go. I carry it legally in restaurants and bars in other states and the set up works just fine. A full size gun not concealed will probably result in being asked to leave.

On a side note, Memphis city limits never has been and never will be a place fit to leave a firearm in a car. Car break ins are extremely frequent in Memphis proper and I would encourage any visitor to Memphis to NEVER leave one unattended in a vehicle. Keep it on your person where it won't be stolen. Memphis PD will not even make an attempt of getting your stolen property back because well....who knows what they are doing. Your gun will be Bro's new toy to show to his gang banger buddies that live near Beale Street.

Edited by 270win

I guess I will be carrying a copy of the TCA with me. I will not leave my gun in the truck, no need in leaving something lying around waiting to get stolen. If the place isn't posted properly, I might enter anyways and hope I don't get found out. If I do, I'll just leave, simple as that.

Looks like I might be eating at home more. I'm no Chef Boyardee, but I don't go hungy, either. There's nothing that the restraunts serve that I can't find a recipe online and make myself (while carrying open)! :D