More Mosin fact

( okay, lets keep this mostly on topic)

Got the 91/30 ready to. I put a touch of grease on the side of the bolt for luck. The broken shell extractor and mallet are in the range bag.

IIRC I have four different types of x54r ammo packed too, with some Russian stuff meeting me at the range. I am curious as to which will group the best and which shoots too point of aim the best.

Last time I shot I noticed that most rounds seem to go high and left at 100 yards. I tried to move the front sight to account for this but the dang thing will not budge. I used a punch and a hammer and no luck.

I will have to use KY windage to get on the bullseye then.

I still have had no luck finding an old Russian woman to step off 100 arshins for me though. ;)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Mike, does any of your ammo consist of hollow point or soft point? If so, do post the accuracy report. I'm interested in perhaps harvesting a deer with my MN this fall(just because I want to, and want to say I did).

I'm down with KY windage. Shooting at 250 yds the other day, I was barely in the sight picture with that front sight. Probably holding 18-20" to the left of center mass. Wacky.

Guest Mech48
( okay, lets keep this mostly on topic)

Got the 91/30 ready to. I put a touch of grease on the side of the bolt for luck. The broken shell extractor and mallet are in the range bag.

IIRC I have four different types of x54r ammo packed too, with some Russian stuff meeting me at the range. I am curious as to which will group the best and which shoots too point of aim the best.

Last time I shot I noticed that most rounds seem to go high and left at 100 yards. I tried to move the front sight to account for this but the dang thing will not budge. I used a punch and a hammer and no luck.

I will have to use KY windage to get on the bullseye then.

I still have had no luck finding an old Russian woman to step off 100 arshins for me though. :love:

Be careful Mike Mosins are extremely addictive and breed like rabbits.;):D

Here some things that I hope will help:

Mosins were zeroed from the arsenal with the bayonets attached. The Russian's battle tactics relied heavily on the bayonet so most rifles (91/30 M44 etc) were carried in battle with the bayonet fixed at all times. Try fixing the bayonet and take a few shots, this will change the barrel harmonics and may help.

As for the sight markings Mosins manufactured after the revolution (1917) were marked in meters. Most older rifles were updated and remarked, convering them from arshins to meters. One trick if you are still shooting high is to take a piece of shrink tube and place it over the front post then trim to adjust POA/ POI. This will compensate without changing the original configuration of the rifle.

Bronker,

Let me check Poindexters, Monday, on the way home and if they have re-stocked, I'll have you a box of Spire Soft Points. McFlurry, you want a box as well?

If not, it can be ordered from several places. I have bought from these folks several times, up to and including a pistol and they have good prices.

7.62X54R Ammo Ammunition For Rifles - Ammunition Ammo Rifle Ammo 223 Ammo 22 Ammo Cheap Ammo Remington Ammo 308 Ammo 300 Ammo Military Ammo 30-06 Ammo Bulk Ammo Ammo For Sale

Mike, does any of your ammo consist of hollow point or soft point? If so, do post the accuracy report. I'm interested in perhaps harvesting a deer with my MN this fall(just because I want to, and want to say I did).

I'm down with KY windage. Shooting at 250 yds the other day, I was barely in the sight picture with that front sight. Probably holding 18-20" to the left of center mass. Wacky.

Guest Bronker
Bronker,

Let me check Poindexters, Monday, on the way home and if they have re-stocked, I'll have you a box of Spire Soft Points. McFlurry, you want a box as well?

If not, it can be ordered from several places. I have bought from these folks several times, up to and including a pistol and they have good prices.

7.62X54R Ammo Ammunition For Rifles - Ammunition Ammo Rifle Ammo 223 Ammo 22 Ammo Cheap Ammo Remington Ammo 308 Ammo 300 Ammo Military Ammo 30-06 Ammo Bulk Ammo Ammo For Sale

Sweet. I'm going to have to bend my sight post too I'm afraid. You remember how far right it was shooting. Need to bench it at 100yds and fine tune from there. Maybe next month at your house.

Is anyone interested in doing a Mosin shoot?

I just had 2 green crates show up on my door Friday. What on earth could be in that? :ugh:

I also finally bought some no-go & field gauges. Luckily, I didn't need to try the field gauge.

I wonder how much longer the cheap surplus will be around. The only cheaper gun I have to fire is my .22. Come to think of it, the mosins are the cheapest guns to buy too.

Is anyone interested in doing a Mosin shoot?

I just had 2 green crates show up on my door Friday. What on earth could be in that? :ugh:

I also finally bought some no-go & field gauges. Luckily, I didn't need to try the field gauge.

I wonder how much longer the cheap surplus will be around. The only cheaper gun I have to fire is my .22. Come to think of it, the mosins are the cheapest guns to buy too.

FYI, that Czech stuff has a tendency to split cases from time to time as I discovered today. Not a problem for me. :screwy: Just a Public Service Announcement.

Guest 1shot

To really make the M/N's accurate place about a 1/8" metal shim under the front and back action screw area and about 3 inches from where the barrel comes out of the handguard on the muzzle end wrap a piece of oiled felt cloth 3 inches long around the barrel. This will free float the barreled action and the felt will help keep the barrel centered and help dampen the barrel vibration. This is how the Russians and Finns made their sniper rifles shoot well. Most of these rifles will need some front sight work done on them. Get you some Kano Kroil oil and put around your front sight and let it soak over night. This should help loosen it up so you can remove it. I usually replace the front sight post on my rifles with a longer one. Some times you can use a punch and hammer and drive the post out the bottom of the sight ring fixture but other times you will have to drill it out from the bottom. I use a finishing nail cut longer than the original sight post as a replacement. Leave the head on the tail to push up through the bottom of the sight ring and place some JB Weld in the hole to hold the new post in place. When you go to the range with your most accurate load you can file the post down to bring your point of impact up to where you want it once you have your windage set. It has been my finding that most of the military ammo does not shoot all that accurate. The main reason is it usually has the wrong diameter bullet. Most of the ammo has a .310 diameter bullet and most of these rifles need a .311 or .312 diameter bullet to really shoot accurately. You can slug your bore to find out which bullet size you really need. I use .315 diameter bullets made to use in muzzle loader rifles. Remove the bolt and drop a ball down into the chamber. Take the steel cleaning rod that comes with the rifle and drop it into the action so it sits on the lead ball. Place a piece of wood on top of the cleaning rod end so you don't mess up the end. With a hammer pounding on the piece of wood drive the lead ball down into the bore as far as you can. Remove the cleaning rod section and use pieces of wood dowel rod about 6 inches long to drop down on to the lead ball and then use the cleaning rod again untill you drive the ball out the muzzle. Measure the ball on the high spots left by the groves in the bore. If it measures .310 to .3105 use a .311 diameter bullet. If it measures .3105 to .3115 use a .312 diameter bullet. I have found that these rifles like 174 to 180 gr bullets best.

You really need to hand load to get these rifles to be tack drivers. Here is THE LOAD that I have found will really shoot in every 7.62X54R caliber M/N I have tried it in. I have 5 different models with 2 or three of the same model in my collection.

THE LOAD: 50 grs Accurate Arms 4350, CCI 200 primer, Laupa or any case made by Prvi Partizan (They make Grafs, Wolf Gold and Winchester cases and ammo). For rifles that need .311 bullets use the 174 gr Sierra match king for target work and the 180 gr SP for hunting. OAL 3.000 If your rifle needs .312 bullets use the 174 gr. Hornady RNSP OAL 2.790 and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all loads, it makes them more accurate. With a little work these rifles will really shoot well.

Go to Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com and go to the forum and find the thread on Russian and Finnish rifles. In the stickies at the top of the page you will find information on how to do all the accuracy work on these rifles, even trigger jobs. It works. Good luck.

Edited by 1shot
Guest joeharris

An M-44 will shoot 4 in. left at 100 yards, but should be on target if the bay. is extended.

91/30's usually shoot 3-4 in. high at 100 yard's without bay. with bay. attached should be fine, the reason there are no bay. scabbards available, is they never needed any, since it was always on the gun!

Enfields also are sighted with bay. on!

An M-44 will shoot 4 in. left at 100 yards, but should be on target if the bay. is extended.

91/30's usually shoot 3-4 in. high at 100 yard's without bay. with bay. attached should be fine, the reason there are no bay. scabbards available, is they never needed any, since it was always on the gun!

Enfields also are sighted with bay. on!

Actually, my 91/30 shoots 4-6 in. to the right w/o bayonet. Dead on with pig-sticker.

I did not shoot at paper much today, the Garufa Steel Plate Challenge kept all my attention. I did feel the 91/30 was shooting maybe a little low at the 150 Arshin mark, and it seemed to be pretty good with the windage. I liked the Ruskie ammo as did the rifle.

I think I bounced a couple of rounds into the plate.

Edited by Mike.357

so I have been wondering about the furniture on the 91/30.

What is the purpose of the stock that extends past the foreward hand grip?

The only thing there is the slot for the dog collar part of the sling. No doubt that slot could be fitted further back towards the forward grip.

A Garand has wood up front that is not touched but it offers protection to the operating rod. No such need on a bolt rifle.

Just been wondering...

It's all just aesthetic pretty stuff Mike. You should rip yours all off and run it with an oven mitt!

so I have been wondering about the furniture on the 91/30.

What is the purpose of the stock that extends past the foreward hand grip?

The only thing there is the slot for the dog collar part of the sling. No doubt that slot could be fitted further back towards the forward grip.

A Garand has wood up front that is not touched but it offers protection to the operating rod. No such need on a bolt rifle.

Just been wondering...

It's all just aesthetic pretty stuff Mike. You should rip yours all off and run it with an oven mitt!

the forward hand grip serves a purpose, but the wood past that does not do much that I can see.

At some point the front of the stock will have to go, it has a crack. Can't just tell yet if the crack is growing or not. But then what can I expect for 78 bucks

forgot to add, Ammo-to-go has 440 packs of Bulgarian steel core ammo for $92.95 before shipping.

Can't even imagine who would have just ordered it :up:

Good stuff too. I need to get a spam can opener though, the hammer and chisel aren't doing it for me.

where you at mrnick?

I have one you could borrow.

I had a can of some kind of ammo, can't remember country of origin and the danged opener would not put a mark on the can. I used a big screw driver, a hammer, and a par of tin snips to get it open. I opened a can of Russian ammo yesterday and it was like a hot knife through butter. There was definitely a difference in the stoutness of the cans.

Edited by Mike.357
forgot to add, Ammo-to-go has 440 packs of Bulgarian steel core ammo for $92.95 before shipping.

Can't even imagine who would have just ordered it :rolleyes:

You are a bad, bad man and a horrible influence. :D

I just had to go order more of that Czech stuff. Cause I like the way it smells.