'lo all :)

Guest Isaac

Guest Isaac

Hey all, I'm Isaac.

I live in Bellevue (West Nashville).

I'm a Linux sysadmin (computer geek) during the week, and run karaoke at a bar off West End on weekends.

I'm originally from Nashville, but mostly grew up in the Dickson area. Lived in Little Rock for about a year (which is more than anyone should suffer through :rofl: ), and wound up back in the Nashville area, where I've remained for the last decade or so.

I have an old Ruger P95DC I bought when I turned 21, which I just replaced with a Glock 19. A little present to myself for finally getting off my lazy rear and signing up for the HCP class, which I'm scheduled for this Thursday at Uselton in Franklin.

I've been lurking about here for a couple of weeks, and decided I would finally register and say hello, so... Hello :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Isaac

LOL, thanks. Honestly don't know much about them, except that they're close, and have a class available that fits my schedule.

LOL, thanks. Honestly don't know much about them, except that they're close, and have a class available that fits my schedule.

What is your schedule?

Also, yay for another computer geek! We're outnumbered around here I think :(.

Hey all, I'm Isaac.

I live in Bellevue (West Nashville).

I'm a Linux sysadmin (computer geek) during the week, and run karaoke at a bar off West End on weekends.

I'm originally from Nashville, but mostly grew up in the Dickson area. Lived in Little Rock for about a year (which is more than anyone should suffer through :rofl: ), and wound up back in the Nashville area, where I've remained for the last decade or so.

I have an old Ruger P95DC I bought when I turned 21, which I just replaced with a Glock 19. A little present to myself for finally getting off my lazy rear and signing up for the HCP class, which I'm scheduled for this Thursday at Uselton in Franklin.

I've been lurking about here for a couple of weeks, and decided I would finally register and say hello, so... Hello :(

Uh oh...... While we welcome you, I fear you just opened up a can of worms. Welcome though to the forum.

Guest JHatmaker

Ehh..that's old news. Uselton's isn't that bad, don't let em' scare you. There are several great shops in the Nashville (and Mid-TN area), so when you decide to purchase a new firearm, shop around. Check out our vendor section here to get some info on the different shops.

I've priced every shop in Mid-TN and would stay away from Franklin Gun (except to browse), Uselton actually has good deals on some things, not so good on other things, just depends. I've never had a negative experience there, but there's some history on TGO with them. Do a search when you have some time if you want the skinny.

Guns and Leather up in Greenbrier is a great shop, nice inventory, staff, and prices. Welcome aboard, and don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'm still relatively new hear, and I've learned more in the past year than I ever thought I would. Great bunch of guys here.

Guest Isaac

Sorry for opening a can of worms, I had no idea really. Would like to point out that the database of ranges on this site shows Uselton having 4 stars (well, 3.5 now that I look again). If feelings run that badly against them, perhaps someone should rectify that ;)

Either way, I'm just going to be there for one evening. I generally go out to my parents farm to shoot :rofl: And, of course, I've already paid for the class, heh

Now that I've opened the can, I might as well ask, what's the deal? Bad customer service? Bad range conditions? They use puppies as targets?

My schedule is normal business hours during the week, and I don't generally leave the bar I work at until the wee hours of the morning on weekends. They have a class that's 4pm - midnight on Thursdays, which means I only have to miss part of a day of work. In theory I could take a day off and do a daytime class during the week, but then my cell would ring the entire time. I manage the servers and firewalls at 30+ hospitals, and they rarely leave me alone during the daytime for more than a couple of hours. A day off for me is more like a day working from wherever I happen to be at the moment, hehe. Weekend days, I'd be half asleep. Not a good time to be either retaining knowledge, or handling a firearm ;)

My geek knowledge is at your disposal :D And glad to see there's at least another of us on here, didn't figure I'd find any. A scary thought, geeks with guns!! :(

Edited by Isaac
Guest Isaac
Welcome to TGO, from another Bellevue resident. Being very technology-challenged, I am thankful for computer geeks.

Well, if you need help, at least I'm close haha

Guest JHatmaker

Now that I've opened the can, I might as well ask, what's the deal? Bad customer service? Bad range conditions? They use puppies as targets? -Isaac

Do a search, it's all on here...

Edited by JHatmaker

You didn't open a can of worms. I was just givin' you a hard time.

I look my HCP class at Small Arms Training School (S.A.T.S) -- Franklin, Tn (Williamson Co. Sheriff's Department), and there are more than a couple TGO members that are not fans of them either.

Don't sweat it. Just get your HCP and be happy.

Guest Isaac

Don't sweat it. Just get your HCP and be happy.

That is certainly the plan :) From what I've read on other parts of the forum though, it might be a long, agonizing wait to get the actual permit once I turn everything in.

Class Thurs, then go do the DOS part and get fingerprinted somewhere Friday probably on a long lunch. Too bad the FBI can't just use the 6 sets of fingerprints that got sent to them when I worked for TDOC heh.

Welcome Issac. I'm a newcomer on here myself, having signed up just a couple of weeks ago. I found out real quick that this is a nice bunch of people. I was invited to two of the TGO shoots at Owl Hollow, liked everyone I met, and was hooked. Not only was I impressed with their acceptance and friendliness, but they are a treasure trove of firearms knowledge... and they freely share it with everyone... newcomers included! You're going to like it here. I'm still waiting for my HCP. I like to "mess" with computers... but fall in the novice category, or "shade tree mechanic" type. Enjoy.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? Tenn. Sen. Fred Thompson

Guest HexHead

Here's the deal with Uselton and why everyone hates the guy. He's publicly taken the stance that private transactions between individuals should be stopped and that all firearms transactions should have to go through a dealer. He wants to make sure if you buy a gun, someone like him is going to make money on it.