Send off for sights?

Guest Disney

I went looking at the local gun shops today to see about getting a set of night sights put in the Kimber. First shop doesn't do anything with 1911's, OK. leave. Second shop does some gun smithing, but said that you ahev to send the Kimbers back to Kimber to have sights put on them. Are they crazy or should I really send it back??

On that topic... What sights do you guys like?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a sight tool to change the sights. Any competent Gunsmith that has the tools and knows which direction the sights go on and off should be able to change them. On Target in Murfreesboro has a Gunsmith. Their web site says that changing sights is $30 (no milling). Give them a call and ask... 615-890-2960 http://ontargettn.com/custom_gunsmithing.htm

I had Meprolight’s (I think that is what Kimber uses) on my Kimber. They are good if you need night sights.

I sold my Kimber and bought an S&W 1911. It has adjustable blade type sights on it, which I like a lot better; but it is mainly a target gun.

Depends on your application.

• Administrator

The dovetail in a Kimber 1911 is cut to "Kimber specs" so you will need sights made specifically for the Kimber or your gunsmith will have to modify the dovetail on the sights themselves.

If you can find some locally, I can install them for you the next time you're in the Boro. Or you can order some sights off the 'net and get a competent gunsmith near you to do them. It's really not that hard.

I like Meprolights for the traditional 3-dot night sights. But my absolute favorite is the Heinie Straight-8 sight. Basically it's a tritium dot front sight with a slightly smaller tritium dot rear sight. You stack the dots to make an elongated figure eight and press the trigger. Very quick and not as distracting as the 3-dot system.

I am putting a set on my SW1911 as soon as they arrive. ;)

Edit: Link to Heinie Straight-8 for Kimber 1911

355.jpg

I take it i should measure the rear sight before I do anything huh...

Tungsten, I'll probably take you up on that offer! If I can find somesights locally, i'll be by this weekend. :P

• Administrator

Easiest way to make sure the new sights go into the same place is to place a piece of masking tape just in front of the rear sight and just behind the front sight on the slide itself. Mark on the tape where the front blade and the rear notch are on the factory sights. Then push the new sights back to those locations. :P

Guest jediihaf
Before sending the gun off I would recomend checking with Steve at S&R Guns in Algood. Most likely they will fix you up.

dave

+1. Steve is the man. I live literally 2 miles from his shop.

I called the Kimber Custom Shop today. $136.50 and my slide for a set of Meprolite sights installed. I think i'll take them up on that!

On a side note, My new holster hasn't come in yet, but when I ordered it it said something like 6-8 weeks?!?!?? Not that I mind. but..... geez. It better be worth it!