Coyote

I have tried not to overcall them where I hunt and they answer up about 50% of the time. I had one come trotting in about 5 minutes after switching from distress calls to short howls last year and then missed him from my shock. I guess it depends on where you hunt and who else is hunting them.

Wherever you hunt deer, you'll find coyote.

Best option is friends with land. 2nd option is lease groups. Last option is public lands and hard to find.

+1

I have tried not to overcall them where I hunt and they answer up about 50% of the time. I had one come trotting in about 5 minutes after switching from distress calls to short howls last year and then missed him from my shock. I guess it depends on where you hunt and who else is hunting them.

I like to start out soft on the calls and get a little more aggressive over a period of time. You have to listen to them and give them time, to many people try to rush or over call to quickly. Remember some coyotes will travel a good distance to your calls so you got to give them time.

Get a Primos Lil Dog or Hot Dog call and the video with Randy what's his name comes with it. There are also plenty of video's that are packaged to buy along with calls. Tick your wife off by practicing right along with the video turned up loud. When you can mimic the pro's, hit the field. The Truth series is good, the Primos stuff is great, have looked at the covers of others and they are probably similar.

Get a Primos Lil Dog or Hot Dog call and the video with Randy what's his name comes with it. There are also plenty of video's that are packaged to buy along with calls. Tick your wife off by practicing right along with the video turned up loud. When you can mimic the pro's, hit the field. The Truth series is good, the Primos stuff is great, have looked at the covers of others and they are probably similar.

I still drive my wife crazy, also try this website there are videos you can watch Predator Quest

I noticed you are in La Vergne. There are a ton of coyotes around Percy Priest Lake. I usually see at least one off the roadside each trip down 840 as you get near the racetrack.

As others have suggested, use websites and video to learn the tactics, etc. Try to network and find landowners that have a coyote problem and are looking for someone to take care of it.

Another site I've found useful: Varmint Al's Hunting Page

I see them all the time too just wondered if I can hunt them on the wma's here in lavergne? I guess I should have been more specific.

Pertaining to WMA's from the hunting guide (pg. 41):

Small game hunting with center-fire weapons:

Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for hunting all small game species on wildlife management areas with only a few exceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for

hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, feral hogs, groundhogs, and crows, only during deer season and the hunter must be a licensed legal deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with the weapon that is legal for that hunt.

Looks like only during the deer season. What about shotguns or archery?

• 4 years later...

I've thought about going to Cedars of Lebanon to hunt coyotes.

Hey Shaun, I bet there are some there too since it has coyote food sources (not the case for squirrel and deer I believe)  The openness of the terrain there makes it picture perfect, I'll be goin there more often myself..

• 1 month later...

I know this thread started years ago, but coyote hunting is never old news, at least not to me. I went out this afternoon, after an invitation from a local friend, to try to help him with his coyote problem. He has hilly,rocky, areas with thick brushy overgrowth and a few grown up small pastures. On my way up his driveway, I saw a deer. We saw three more in the course of the afternoon, along with a couple of wild turkey.

He says he's counted as many as 15 coyotes down in the pasture, with his binoculars. He has an Artic Cat mule, so we did some walking and some riding. The purpose was to scout the area for good stand locations. We could not find any fresh scat! The heavy growth should have revealed some trails, but no trails to speak of, and no fresh scat. He said he heard them fire up about three days ago, and has heard them at night for some time. The ground was pretty dry and hard, but even on a road, in a mature wooded area, we did not find any fresh scat.

We probably scouted over his area for a good three hours, afoot, and on the 4 wheeler mule...and nothing! My question is this...with a dozen, or more, coyotes in the area, wouldn't there seem to be some fresh scat in some of the trails, or roads? They said they have seen it in the past along their very long driveway (1/2 mile +) before. But the driveway is gravel and it was just drug a couple of days ago. he and his wife said they really fire up when a helicopter and a small ultra-lite aircraft fly over the area. I'm frustrated, to say the least. Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh, by the way, he showed me pics of coyotes on his trail cams he keeps out all of the time. Any idea about what I can do to help him when I can't get any idea of their travel route? There is a creek on the property, and a stagnant small pond on his neighbor's property. Thanks.

The one sad thing about TWRA regs in TN is they don't let us hunt the yotes at night.  Red light, scope and some calling at the edge of that rocky area should be easy to get a yote or two.  Until then, treat it like a deer hunt, get to your area early and let things settle then start your calls.  If they haven't been shot at before, you should eventually get your chance.

Best advice I can give is call quick and move quick. Pick a spot (in the woods preferable) and make a set. Call every twenty to thirty seconds for about 3 min then give it 3 min of quiet. Repeat. If nothing then move. You don't always have to move far, as I've called, had nothing, moved about 200 yards and called again and they come in. Happened fairly recently with another member here too! Their range is pretty big, so don't give up or get discouraged. Try to have 3 or 4 different calls so you don't educate them. If all else fails, grab a turkey mouth call (the more reeds the better) and make it sound like a hurt dog. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one sad thing about TWRA regs in TN is they don't let us hunt the yotes at night.  Red light, scope and some calling at the edge of that rocky area should be easy to get a yote or two.  Until then, treat it like a deer hunt, get to your area early and let things settle then start your calls.  If they haven't been shot at before, you should eventually get your chance.

Thanks Rightwinger, but the thing that baffled me was that there was no fresh scat...anywhere! That many coyotes has to leave some sign, don't they?

Best advice I can give is call quick and move quick. Pick a spot (in the woods preferable) and make a set. Call every twenty to thirty seconds for about 3 min then give it 3 min of quiet. Repeat. If nothing then move. You don't always have to move far, as I've called, had nothing, moved about 200 yards and called again and they come in. Happened fairly recently with another member here too! Their range is pretty big, so don't give up or get discouraged. Try to have 3 or 4 different calls so you don't educate them. If all else fails, grab a turkey mouth call (the more reeds the better) and make it sound like a hurt dog. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the information Wiljo05. Like I told Rightwinger, the thing that puzzled me, was the lack of sign in the area. The landowner swears they are there, but we did not find one single fresh scat...nor any old scat either!

• 2 weeks later...