Old Colt 1911 .45 ACP

lowbud

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These kind of things really make me mad tbh. It's like taking a fine military rifle and sporterizing it.

A craptastic pimp job on a Colt 1911 makes it worth about $400, maybe less. Honestly it's whatever someone will be willing to give you for it.

Guest abailey362

with new grips it could be ok. try finding something commerative with a gold seal on them n that would help bring the gold parts together

Guest birdman
Just to compare, here's an actual navy presentation model

pix1726613359.jpg

Now THAT^^^^ is a nice pistol. I would LOVE to have one of those!

Have you asked on coltforum.com? I think it looks like somebody's misguided idea of awesome back in the 1950s, so maybe it was a presentation model of some sort.

The Navy model looks very nice, but it would have been cool if they had matched the slide finish on the frame.

Guest Moody

I like that gun (because I imagine what I'd do to it, if it were mine - new grips, new hardware, and get it cleaned up and respectable). In its current state - let's just say that I have faith that it can be helped. See what you can do for it, then post results!

1917 Era Colt 1911 GI If original(see frame pitting) 80 percent? Approx $1800.00

Plated 400-600 You could take to plater and have nickel reversed and you will have

no finish,can then have blued cost 200 -300 and will not increase value much.

Just a shooter with history.

Guest gcrookston

Sadly, whatever you can get for it. A collector won't touch it because it has been absolutely abused. $500.00 to $700.00 would be my estimate.

Guest gcrookston
Just to compare, here's an actual navy presentation model

pix1726613359.jpg

Sorry, I like my old Colts correct and original, not commemoratives. the one above does nothing for me. Here's one I sold on gunbroker a while back. Now, this is a REAL 1911 (from the 2nd shipment in early 1913)...

dsc000953ef.jpg

Guest gcrookston
like gcrookston said... its a solid $500 gun... thats it. Dont put any money into fixing it up becasue it will never be original and never bring more then $500...

There is one guy out in CA that Ive sold a few 1911 bastard cases to that a few months, a year later, the same gun shows up original and pristine. I've not done business with him in over a decade (since finding one commercial basket case I sold him -- SER#50, suddenly showing up as mint at a premier auction house). But his name begins with "B".

I would get it cleaned and polished up. Everybody needs at least one pimp/show gun.

There are a lot more of these modified surplus Colt's out there then people know. They sold for next to nothing surplus/war trophies.

My brother has similar done P38 Walther that was chromed/pimped out by my Dad. It is neat looking and a good shooter. The gold accents are brighter than yours. These 1911 and Walthers were worth about fifty dollars in the 50's according to my uncle.

I have a home for those pearl grips if you decide to change them out.

Sadly I have seen more" customized " old Colt 1911's than ones that are original by three fold.

Edited by R1100R
Guest hickok

Hey, I think that's my old gun. You guys quit making fun of my old gun. It was kind of old looking with some of the finish worn off. Some old soldier probably wasn't careful enough with it while crawling around the trenches of France.

I just fixed it up and made it cool with the nickle and gold plate. I was about to install an EO Tech but sold it before the EO Tech sight arrived. I did get the holes drilled on top of the slide (Used my Black & Decker), though, in preparation for mounting it. :-)

Guest Britestar

well when had the shop we would keep one colt officers model done the same way. Had checkmate do the gold plating that was 8 years ago and we got 1500 for the gun. While the pureist didn't care for them. They same kinda guy that like the covertible or the corvettes loved them generally sold one every cpl months. But that was new without a blemish or scratch. Also we used the smoked grey pearlite grips.