cards for gun banning establishments

Guest tdtennessee

How about post cards. They could mention that I would have loved to have had dinner at your fine restaurant, but....

Mail one to each restaurant once a week just to let them know you're keeping them in mind if they change their ways.

Or maybe a letter to X restaurant with a pic of you and your family at their competetors restaurant, with a copy of the bill. :D

buk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, cards = dumb idea. If I were a restaurateur, it would do nothing but piss me off royally. This is a "leftist moon bat" tactic in my mind.

WE need to approach the people in a VERY proper manner. The key here is to E D U C A T E. Show these folks that we ain't nutcases. Well, 'cept for me of course ;). If you go in balls to the wall, or litter the place up, it will only reinforce all the negativity the media paints us with. Get to known the management. Invite them here.

You're not gonna convince everybody, but it is much better to leave a positive impression on them when you leave. Especially if they come at you balls to the wall. Most people I think will respect us more if we go that way, even if they continue to post. You never know who's coming behind you to try again, and may have a little more success. Keep chip'n at the stone.

A couple of questions...

How many members here @ TGO???

How many HCP holders in Tennessee???

Why are the users of TGO not able to create a GOOD, EASY TO ACCESS database of ALL ANTI 2nd Amendment Restaurants??? It should be listed by city and alphabetically. People should do their homework- Get/list their information, address, telephone number, names of the manager, general manager, etc.

People need to step up and get this information AND SHARE IT!

HERE ARE OUR TEETH...

Not only do you leave a little "no guns, no $$$" but it should also list that their establishment will be added to a LEGITIMATE "DO NOT PATRONIZE" database (possibly providing a link on the card) for the QUARTER MILLION PERMIT HOLDERS to know that they as well as their families business is NOT WANTED, as well as informing us of their competitors nearby who want to do business with us!!! Let these business operators know that by posting they are ALIENATING A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF BUSINESS..

Also a nice letter sent to the higher ups at some of these places with a couple hundred signatures on it saying you've lost my/my families business might get a little notice.

I got my signin' pen inked up.

Any thought???

For the last few days I have been thinking of how to respond to these restaurants that are starting to post no firearms. After a conversation with a active liberal this afternoon I lean very much toward the friendly face to face conversation about the facts. Having something that states the fact in a positive way could be helpful as a means for them to further consider.

This afternoon I stopped by the house of someone I worked with last fall. She is in her mid fifties and very liberal in her views. During the conversation she said that her and all her friends think it is crazy to have guns and alcohol together. This gave me opportunity to share some things with her and twenty minutes later she said "You have changed my mind on this." Number one was that a sign on the door lets the bad guys know they are free to do as they please. Two, she began to understand that a carry holder is a responisble citizen that is not going to do anything to jeprodize their right to carry. What really opened her eyes was the statement that many have made that "it is illegal to drink and drive but that does not stop anyone." I let her know that I emailed Chief Serpas asking for statistics on how many DUI's were also sited for carrying that had a license to do so - I am still waiting for his response. She realized that having a responsible citizen that carry's just may save her life in a bad situation.

All this to say that first is to share one on one because most do not understand fully the situation. Having a brochure that shared facts would be good for some.

To have this lady change her mind after twenty minutes of talking says that many more will as well when they see the whole picture.

Cole

My suggestion is to simply save every receipt you receive when dining at a non-posted restaurant. Total them up over a month or so and present them to the manager of the restaurant(s) you avoided (because they were posted) while engaging him/her in conversation about the financial impact his decision to post has had upon his business. Money talks; BS walks.

• Administrator

Why are the users of TGO not able to create a GOOD, EASY TO ACCESS database of ALL ANTI 2nd Amendment Restaurants??? It should be listed by city and alphabetically. People should do their homework- Get/list their information, address, telephone number, names of the manager, general manager, etc.

We do have a database here although I'm not sure if folks find it easy to use.

TGO Database

Guest HexHead
A couple of questions...

How many members here @ TGO???

How many HCP holders in Tennessee???

People need to step up and get this information AND SHARE IT!

HERE ARE OUR TEETH...

Not only do you leave a little "no guns, no $$$" but it should also list that their establishment will be added to a LEGITIMATE "DO NOT PATRONIZE" database (possibly providing a link on the card) for the QUARTER MILLION PERMIT HOLDERS to know that they as well as their families business is NOT WANTED, as well as informing us of their competitors nearby who want to do business with us!!! Let these business operators know that by posting they are ALIENATING A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF BUSINESS..

Also a nice letter sent to the higher ups at some of these places with a couple hundred signatures on it saying you've lost my/my families business might get a little notice.

I got my signin' pen inked up.

Any thought???

I like it. It's in the sprit of my "deluge their "Contact Us" or their email boxes" approach that we won't come back until they remove their signs.

I'm telling you guys, the cards won't work. Maybe they'll get 3? 5? Send the owners hundreds of responses and that will get their attention. Just telling the waitress or even the manager won't do :D.

They're not the decision makers!

We need to use exactly the same strategy we used with the lawmakers to help get this law passed.

but heres the problem... people simply wont take time to do it. I have been involved in this industry and taking part in campaigns like this for 19 years. Very few will take time to go out of their way to be proactive. Even to send an email. I mean we cant even get anyone to attend the "council" meetings in all these cities in force. The ones that do go dont have a clue as to how to really attack the situation properly. Like I said before this industry as a whole lacks communications abroad. Until we fix that most of us will be pissing in the wind. Its sad but true.

Back to the issue at hand. I thought about this "card" thing a few months back and sent David information on some card/flyer layouts. I thought it would be a good idea because it seemed to be working in all the other states. Everyone else was doing it for a reason. I never heard back from David about it so I decided to do something on my own.

We experienced these same problems back in 94... it seemed everyone was "posting".. it took some time but after a while many of those signs came down. But we mailed allot of letters and made lots of phone calls. I expect to see more of the same thing about this issue. Cards, flyers, emails... whatever else we do will certainly not hurt.

Remember... doing it is one thing... talking about doing is another!

Guest GlockRule

How about printing up something the same size as a dollar bill that generally looks like a dollar bill but with a message along the lines of "You're losing dollars from permit holders by banning guns-sorry but I won't be back because you don't support 2nd Amendment rights,etc, etc"...then you could slip this bill into your payment (in addition to full payment of course). Might make a better point.

• Administrator

I'm starting to think people don't read beyond the thread title before they post a reply. :up:

Again, cards, flyers, pamphlets, no matter what the shape or size are just going to be seen as passive-aggressive actions by restaurant staff and management. If you want to affect change, have a conversation with the people capable of making that change. This doesn't mean the waitstaff, it means the managers and the owners.

Talk to them. Explain your concerns. Listen to theirs. Try to clear away any misconceptions they may have been given courtesy of the media. Make a positive impression, and be courteous. And most importantly, if they refuse to change their minds, politely thank them for their time and then come back here and post your report so that the rest of us know what restaurants to avoid.

Guest jwb68

I think the thing that makes the most sense is to go eat your meal, ask to see owner/manager and tell him you enjoy the food, service was great and you come in alot. Then you drop the hammer. I guess this is going to have to be my last meal in here though as I noticed you have banned carry in your establishment. Cards emails etc are great but here you are a paying customer saying you can't come back due to the posting. I just think that will go much futher than getting a bunch of impersonal warnings from a bunch of "nuts"

How about printing up something the same size as a dollar bill that generally looks like a dollar bill but with a message along the lines of "You're losing dollars from permit holders by banning guns-sorry but I won't be back because you don't support 2nd Amendment rights,etc, etc"...then you could slip this bill into your payment (in addition to full payment of course). Might make a better point.

When did Congress take control of restaurants :up:

LOL...Congress doesn't have to have control over group for members of that group to respect/honor the constitution. :up:

See,and here I thought I missed a bail out out somptin!

Edited by strickj
Guest thorn
I'm starting to think people don't read beyond the thread title before they post a reply. :google:

Again, cards, flyers, pamphlets, no matter what the shape or size are just going to be seen as passive-aggressive actions by restaurant staff and management. If you want to affect change, have a conversation with the people capable of making that change. This doesn't mean the waitstaff, it means the managers and the owners.

Talk to them. Explain your concerns. Listen to theirs. Try to clear away any misconceptions they may have been given courtesy of the media. Make a positive impression, and be courteous. And most importantly, if they refuse to change their minds, politely thank them for their time and then come back here and post your report so that the rest of us know what restaurants to avoid.

So what? ask the owner or manager to come outside because you're armed. It just seems like a card may have it's use in some cases. You may be better suited for the conversation than me as I tend to struggle with issues that I'm passionate about and I wouldn't expect a soft ear or a voice of reason.

Anyway, I found one of the older 2-sided cards (they may be slightly different now)...

DSC02858.jpg

We do have a database here although I'm not sure if folks find it easy to use.

TGO Database

For some reason no one posts here. Of course it's good to post inside of a forum thread but once the thread goes cold nobody sees it any longer.

We really need to get an accurate extensive list going so we know where we cannot spend our money before heading out. Plus, assuming they care enough to even look, it gives restaurant owners a place to "see their name in lights".

I suggest everyone post when they return home after noticing a posted restaurant or business.

Also, I think we need to split this list out into businesses, restaurants, restaurants that serve alcohol, parks, as well as by major city or part of the state, etc.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I'm still working on my own personal strategy but I am leaning towards this. When I see a posted place (that I was intending to eat at), I will go somewhere else. When I get home, I will write a short letter and include a photocopy of my receipt from the other restaurant. I will explain that I spent $xx at the other place because they were NOT posted etc...

Its still a work in progress but that is what I have so far.

Guest Doc44

Have always thought it interesting that sheepie were so worried about an HCP holder carrying in a steak house and yet the steak house provides very nice large knives on all tables.... even where 4 year old Johnny is seated. Maybe they should precut our meat into bite size pieces so there would be no need for the knives. This would protect us from some drunk stabbing everyone or me accidentally cutting myself or some one else because I was not as well trained as a butcher in the use of a steak knife..

Knives and alcohol don't mix.

Doc44

Guest GlockRule
We really need to get an accurate extensive list going so we know where we cannot spend our money before heading out. Plus, assuming they care enough to even look, it gives restaurant owners a place to "see their name in lights".

I suggest everyone post when they return home after noticing a posted restaurant or business.

Also, I think we need to split this list out into businesses, restaurants, restaurants that serve alcohol, parks, as well as by major city or part of the state, etc.

I agree...it would be great if someone developed a site specifically for this purpose...called something like "gunfreetn" would be cool - sortof hints at an "anti-gun" website but instead highlights where the new "gun free" sites are but puts the common sense slant of "well it really means thugs will have no resistance to their criminal intent"/makes easy prey. Could put some news headlines of bad things happening to good people around the state on the site to make people aware of the dangers out there-it could also be a place to put self-defense stories since the mainstream media doesn't do a very good job of this. I don't know, just throwing some things out there. any other ideas?